Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Laptop in hold luggage - Warning

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Flying back from Salzburg yesterday while checking in we were asked did we have any of the items on a sign in our hold luggage. One of which was a latpop on a green background.

Us “we presume laptops are OK, as it is on a green background...?”

Check in lady “oh no, they can’t go in the hold, so you have one packed?”

Us “yes we do”

Check in lady “which bag?”

Us (after a quick look at the bags we have still to check in) “Er the one that just went off on the belt”

She stopped the belts with an emergency button checked in the colour clambered around but it was too late. Many phone calls letter, us showing her googled images of what the bag looks like, it was eventually returned to us so we could remove the laptop.

On the way it they were only concerned about spare batteries and googling laptops in hold luggage all seem to say it is fine (except for the risk of having stolen or damaged).

Not sure if it is just an Austrian thing but for others wishing to save some stress may be worth extra checks!

The checking lady did apologise and admit that she should have actually asked BEFORE sending the first bag in its way.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@NickyJ, a bit of s misunderstanding I would say. A laptop in the hold bag is totally ok.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@NickyJ, strangely from some destinations you have to put the laptop in the hold.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That sound strange as on easyjet, flybe and the like they are only to quick to condemn your, slightly oversized, cabin bag to the hold without any questions as to what it contains. Also we did a bit of research on this last year as we wanted to take some fairly heavy duty cordless tools with us on easyjet and the limit for batteries was quite high, in terms of electrical capacity, as long as they were installed in the tool. If not I think either the limit was lower or you had to show they were protected from shorting.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My understanding is that loose Lithium Ion batteries can be a problem in hold luggage due to possibilities of shorting but those installed in equipment are ok.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Never aware of this before - https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Before-you-fly/Baggage/Items-that-are-allowed-in-baggage/

Seems it's spare batteries (larger types) that are restricted rather than those within devices.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I flew to Iceland with TUI in Dec and was told to take a Kindle out of the hold bag. I thought the rules were no loose lithium-ion batteries in the hold bags but it seems for some it's easier to stop you taking anything with a battery in hold bag. It's probably safest to keep laptops etc. in the cabin bag even with the need to take it out for security scan. Some airlines also like it as it removes temptation from the baggage handlers!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@geepee, @Grizzler, Yes, that's exactly what we found. We were taking a fairly chunky cordless impact wrench, just don't ask Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Grizzler wrote:
Never aware of this before - https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Before-you-fly/Baggage/Items-that-are-allowed-in-baggage/

Seems it's spare batteries (larger types) that are restricted rather than those within devices.

But that link suggests that even for smaller devices (< 2g lithium, or <100Wh rating) the items:
Quote:
Should be carried in carry-on baggage. If a device is carried in checked baggage, measures must be taken to prevent unintentional activation and to protect from damage. The device must be completely switched off (not in sleep or hibernation mode).

So perhaps not surprising if airlines want more detail at check-in.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ecureuil, Yes but it sounds as if @NickyJ, was not given that opportunity. The tools, and spare batteries, we were taking were in hard plastic cases so I was confident I could show it was highly unlikely they would short. They were also in oversize baggage so you could speak to the person who, presumably, could say yes or no, initially at least.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Its the batteries.
Tons of laptop are constantly having Battery replacement programs because of possible issues.
Consider most laptops are manufactured in a handful of factories by OEM suppliers, they will share lots of components.

if the laptop was somehow powered on, then surrounded by clothes, etc. there is a risk of overheating & exploding.

This is HP latest for example:-

In January 2019, HP announced an expansion to its ongoing worldwide voluntary safety recall and replacement program for certain notebook computer and mobile workstation batteries which was announced January 2018. The potentially affected batteries may have been shipped with specific HP ProBook (64x G2 and G3 series, 65x G2 and G3 series, 4xx G4 (430, 440, 450, 455, and 470)), HP x360, HP ENVY m6, HP Pavilion x360, HP 11 Notebook Computers and HP ZBook (17 G3, 17 G4, and Studio G3) Mobile Workstations sold worldwide from December 2015 through April 2018. Additionally, these batteries may have been sold as accessories or replacement batteries for HP ProBook 4xx G5 (430, 440, 450, 455, and 470), HP ENVY 15, HP Mobile Thin Clients (mt20, mt21, and mt31), and the HP ZBook Studio G4 Mobile Workstation or for any of the preceding products from December 2015 through December 2018 through HP or an authorized Service Provider. These batteries have the potential to overheat, posing a fire and burn hazard to customers.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The whole thing is very confused TBH, we flew out with BA from Gatwick and that was fine to have the laptop in the hold but our return flight from Salzburg still with BA and it wasn’t Ok.

Up until now the only thing I had heard about laptops was that from some countries they HAD to go in the hold.

Hence we were caught out and hence why I am warning others.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Who puts laptops in the hold out of choice? The days of baggage handling tealeafs are not totally gone and the more likely risk is your bag getting split or zipper wrecked and contents spewing everywhere.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dave of the Marmottes, it is a second hand old lenova thinkpad. So very well made but quite heavy. We didn’t fancy lugging it around with everything else we had at the airport. Plus we had sacrificed one of our hand luggage for ski boots Happy and the size on BA laptop bag is far too small for our laptop in its padded bag. So instead it was padded in the middle of lots of clothes.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fairynuff. I'd certainly value my skiboots over an old laptop.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy