Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix or Morzine?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi peeps!

Looking at going away for 4 days 25th February and I’m stuck between chamonix and Morzine what would you all suggest? Cost wise very similar so mainly about the areas and the skiing.

Many thanks!

Fraser
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads @Frasyrob, snowHead

IMO they're completely different venues with different appeal.
So really, it's going to be down to what you are looking for?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you!

Ohhh ok, we are pretty sufficient skiers can ride down blacks but also enjoy cruising about.

I’ve been to chamonix before but haven’t skied there due to no snow! So know the area to a degree.

Probably look for a couple pubs enjoy a bit of food.

Not sure what else I can put! Confused

Many thanks
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you'll be riding mostly on piste go to Morzine. Both are fine for pubs/food.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been to both. Morzine would get my vote if you're after hassle free skiing. One major ball ache about chamonix is having to catch a bus to the different ski areas. These buses will be rammed in February.
Oh and Morzine is alot cheaper to eat and drink than cham too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Awesome thank you for your help! Think We will go to morzine Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Been to both, Morzine much more frequently and Morzine remains my resort of choice by a mile. Never really appreciated having to move between the Chamonix areas to get the most of the resort and I never found the skiing that much better. Although, if you prefer off-piste powder I'm told Chamonix would be the resort of choice, so it really comes down to what sort of skiing you prefer.
Also, Feb is half term for many so a larger resort like Morzine/PdS will have more places to ski with (slightly) fewer crowded lift queues.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Morzine = beginners + intermediates.
Chamonix = intermediates + advanced.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@MikeM, provided there no catastrophic weather, neither should have particularly bad queues.

Very different topographies. Either good. I am not biased as while I have apartments in Chamonix, I did 3 seasons in Morzine and love both.

@dave_3, you were clearly in the wrong places. Like for like, restaurant prices are very similar. Property however? Morzine significantly more expensive, as far as I can see.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We frequented many bars in chamonix and the prices where stagering. 7 euro was the cheapest I could find and it was a dump. I've drank for cheaper in avoriaz on the mountain!! The average price for a pint in cham was about 8/9 euro. The most I paid was 14 euro. Complete rip off.

Don't get me started on the lift pass prices and the sub standard lift systems. A few good lifts here and there but not worth the extra price you pay for a cham lift pass
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@dave_3, and the cheap drinking in Morzine is ...?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Last year I drank in many bars for 5 euro a pint. Granted, there where a few that where 8/9 euro a pint but chamonix took things to a whole new level. Last week in cham I said to the alpy bus driver that I'd never seen so many people taking cocain. He said its because its cheaper than drinking.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@dave_3, I will not argue, as I usually drink demis and don’t pay much attention (I’m not price comparing in the pathetically weak pound). But I never hear my Morzine mates complaining that Cham is more expensive, in fact the reverse. But that’s usually about lunch.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’ve yet to a see a non-happy hour pint below 7-8€ in Morzine
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Nadenoodlee, and you are on site!
ski holidays
Well not anymore but I have my sources @under a new name,
latest report
I agree, Chamonix is rubbish - stay away! Smile
snow report
Where are you drinking in Cham for 8/9 euro a pint?? I don't think I've ever paid that outside of a restaurant (or Moo, which I conscientiously object to based on 8 euro carlslbergs). Certainly never 14! Even in Beer O Clock which is all craft beer most of it is under 8 euros a pint (if it were sold in pints).
ski holidays
@dave_3, You’ve not looked very far in Chamonix for a cheap pint. Anywhere in Chamonix Sud or Bar D’Up will serve you a beer at 5 Euro. However those same bars have ridiculously good happy hours, last time I was in Cham I was drinking at 2 Euros for the first couple of hours.

How can you compare Morzine skiing with Chamonix and say it’s similar. Chamonix has some seriously steep skiing, but also cruising in Les Tours and Houches. Can’t disagree with the inconvenience of the ski area but usually have a car which resolves that.
ski holidays
True Lions Fan wrote:
@dave_3, You’ve not looked very far in Chamonix for a cheap pint. Anywhere in Chamonix Sud or Bar D’Up will serve you a beer at 5 Euro. However those same bars have ridiculously good happy hours, last time I was in Cham I was drinking at 2 Euros for the first couple of hours.

How can you compare Morzine skiing with Chamonix and say it’s similar. Chamonix has some seriously steep skiing, but also cruising in Les Tours and Houches. Can’t disagree with the inconvenience of the ski area but usually have a car which resolves that.

I drank in bar'd up every night last week as it was opposite our hotel. A pint of local was 7 euro. Happy hour was limited to cocktails from the special board only. 7 euro was reasonable. However, you had to put up with sinks full of vomit and waiting outside the toilet whilst two guys finish their lines of charly.

The pub
Monkey
And southbar where all 8 euro for a local beer.
snow conditions
@dave_3, Monkey has happy hour, half price lager 16-18h00 every night.

The Pub has happy hour and I would be most surprised if the Amstel was any more than €8 a pint at full price. Granite (or other MBC products) and Lagunitas are premium.

Local beer (Mont Blanc) is a premium beer. Think Leffe.

I would love to know where you can get a pint in Morzine for €5 outside of happy hour.

Bard'up is possibly my least favourite pub in town. Your ability to put up with it does not instill confidence in your ability to find good beer at good prices in good surroundings...
latest report
Not my choice of pub. My friends insisted on drinking there because they served magners by the pint. As for happy hours.... A little hard to make it when you come off the mountain around 5.

I liked it in the pub. But mangers was 7 euro for half pint bottle so my pals pulled their faces. Also went to a nice bar called moo. Great bar food but expensive on drinks again.
ski holidays
Quote:

magners by the pint

Oh dear!

Moo also known for expensive Carlsberg. I mean, who serves Carlsberg?
snow report
You can get a pint of brasserie du Mont Blanc beer for 5.50 in Little Boxes, best value in town imo. Bardup normal price is 5.50 for a peroni though I don't go in much any more. Beckett & Wilde is same price ( and same happy hours) and much nicer surroundings. My girlfriend loves Moo but I conscientiously object to 8 euro Carlsberg.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 15-01-19 14:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I'm an ale drinker myself so I don't know
snow report
Meltus wrote:
You can get a pint of brasserie du Mont Blanc beer for 5.50 in Little Boxes, best value in town imo. Bardup normal price is 5.50 for a peroni though I don't go in much any more. Beckett & Wilde is same price ( and same happy hours) and much nicer surroundings. My girlfriend loves Moo but I conscientiously object to 8 euro Carlsberg.

Peroni was 7 euro for a small bottle
snow conditions
In moo? probably yeah
ski holidays
Meltus wrote:
In moo? probably yeah

Nope in bar'd up. Draught peroni wasn't available
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frasyrob wrote:
Hi peeps!

Looking at going away for 4 days 25th February and I’m stuck between chamonix and Morzine what would you all suggest? Cost wise very similar so mainly about the areas and the skiing.

Many thanks!

Fraser

Been to Cham 4 times and spent 6 months living there so here is my review:

It all depends on what you prefer from a ski holiday. Cham town doesn't feel like a resort - it feels like a big, functioning town full of ski and board fanatics, most who live there.
If you prefer a small, mountainside resort, go elsewhere.

The night life is great, second only to Val d'Isere IMHO - try Bar'd Up for beer and table football with nightclubs all around too. Don't stay in Argentiere if you enjoy nightlife.

The main issue for me when it comes to going to Cham on a 4 day holiday, is that the ski areas require significant travel to get to. Walking in gear to the bus and then a 10-40 min journey depending which area you are headed to.

Le Tour at the end of the valley is a massive trek with gear that, although I love the place, is a ballache... Even Grand Montets is a schlep from town.

You will waste a lot of your 4 days, travelling between areas and Chamonix is the one place, above all, that you shouldn't go to if you are there for a short weekend.
ski holidays
Quote:

If you prefer a small, mountainside resort, don't go to Morzine either.

FIFY
snow conditions
Rent a car... use the train ...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy