Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jacket recommendations; sturdy men!

Poster: A snowHead
Would like to get hubby a shell jacket, suitable for skiing amongst other things, for his birthday. Not at all adverse to ordering a few and sending back, but would ideally like to start with brands likely to fit. He’s not really a coat-wearer, so don’t have much current clothing to go on.

He’s about 5’10 and quite sturdy in build; weight about 14 1/2 stone. Slight middle-aged spread wink

I know the Scandi brands will be hopeless but would love some ideas for brands that don’t need you to be 6’5 and like a beanpole.

Thanks so much!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@swoafs, arctryx, or helly hansen (both them them make an XXL which goes across my shoulders (and round other bits too wink )
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mammut have made them in styles that aren't cut for the excessively svelte Very Happy

Well made and tough, hard to see in brochure type images as they all seem to have waist "window dressed" to improve aesthetics.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@swoafs, Norrona Lofoten quite forgiving
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Planks size Large
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@swoafs, 5'10" and 14,5 stone is only semi sturdy.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Jonny996, yeah svelte I’d say
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arcteyx Alpha SV jacket new tagged sealed in plastic size XL poseidon blue £325
Arcteryx most durable flagship jacket .
46inch /118cm chest expedition fit will take layers with no issues without the common north face sack cut .
From 23rd feb onwards in london or possibly courier at cost with secure payment.

Another Alpha SV exactly the same as above used for a few days, perfect new condition with tags .

Stinger size XL ski pants new tagged £235 in blue

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 13-01-19 9:18; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

brands that don’t need you to be 6’5

mn
My SiL is 6'5" and like a beanpole and finds it difficult to get jackets long enough to be bum-warming. 5'10" must be about ideal height, really! I'm a very ordinary size (woman) but have always found it essential to try on jackets, with layers underneath - the length of sleeves and the way they do up round the neck, and the way the hoods work, can be so different - I can try on half a dozen ostensibly the same size and only one feels right. Can you take him to a really good shop to choose a jacket for himself? (I'd have very strongly discourage my OH picking out a jacket for me!).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can't agree with some of the recommendations on here unless he's a very different shape from me - I'm 5'9" and 13 stone (175cm/83kg). Norrona arms and body are comically too long, arcteryx slightly better, but not much. Patagonia/North Face/Marmot a little better again, but not great.

I haven't found a really good solution yet, but stretch shells are a little better.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For clarity, the brand I've referenced is MAMMUT and not Marmot which I believe are different brands, we've no experience of the latter.

Son has a Mammut Extreme, which manages to give very well cut shoulders if they are larger, with no pulling up as you move to extend arms etc. Enough space round waist without looking too tight or too loose, so proportions may suit. Basically gives room where you need it without swamping.

As @pam w, it's so very individual, hence your original question i'spose. Given the variance in cost you don't want to end up with something unsuitable.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@turbosmurf, I’m 5 10 and 90+ kg and don’t have arms with knuckles trailing the ground akin a chimp and have 3 Norrona Lofoten Pro jackets that fit me fine in size L, I like a longer jacket when skiing offpiste, and haven’t tripped over the super long arms yet! Also got a Arcteryx jacket but I find that way too short for skiing in. Each to their own....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm 5'10 and weigh about the same, I've found ski/snow jackets to be a bit more roomy than just a 'normal' waterproof/shell jacket.

For what it's worth, I've been looking around recently and almost all fitted me in my normal size - except Salomon where I had to go up a size. Ended up in a North Face jacket which I really like (Apex Flex Snow jacket).

I would definitely recommend at least trying a jacket with a bit of stretch in it - I find they fit and feel much better with a bit of stretch in there.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am about 5'7" and broad shouldered, rounded tummy and large quads. I struggle with clothes at the best of times being both vertically and horizontally challenged Smile

My current kit is Halti ski pants and jacket. Great bit of kit. Why it suits is that both have an element of strech/lycra built into them so the jacket and pants moves with you. Very comfortable and would recommend. Possiblly something like this - https://halti.com/collections/men-jackets/products/lexa-m-jacket or this https://halti.com/collections/men-jackets/products/rango-m-jacket
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm 5,10 and 14.5 stone too. I have large size Marmot jacket which is brilliant, and large size Phenix salopettes also brill. I suspect any US brands will be a good fit for our body shape.
snow report
Brill, thanks so much all; will check out those ideas and will inform OH that he is officially svelte in the eyes of snowheads. He was once definitely a cyclist build with huge quads, so he would say that it’s just that his shoulders, upper arms and midrif have now caught up rolling eyes

@pamw, I would completely agree with you except for the fact that the thing OH hates most is shopping Laughing

I’d have to drag him to somewhere with a decent selection (I’ll only get one chance) so it’s super helpful to have a head start!
latest report
Arc’teryx,Patagonia in xl. Will be ones to go for
snow conditions
ski3 wrote:
For clarity, the brand I've referenced is MAMMUT and not Marmot which I believe are different brands, we've no experience of the latter.

I realised - haven't tried Mammut, have tried Marmot (different brands - and animals - as you say). But given your comments will keep an eye out.
snow report
For a good range try Sports Pursuit, they are very helpful and no problems with returns - the benefit of online shopping, personally I like Spyder, expensive but durable and the kit works,it fits and you stay dry. They also have a good sizing chart so you can work out your best size, although like a lot of US kit their sizes seem to be more generous than European sizes, might be useful.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy