Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommended shin protector

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Three years ago I broke my tibia & fibula doing something I shouldn't have been doing in Tignes.
The good (and no doubt highly experienced) surgeons in Bourg St Maurice pinned my leg back together and now it's just as good as ever (with a metal rod inside).

Now I hardly ever think about it, except when I'm skiing for there is a screw in my leg originally used to fix the metal to the bone. Unfortunately this sticks out about 8cm above my ankle right where the front of my ski boot is. Now, I have a gel shin pad that I tape to my leg and I dose myself up with ibuprofen but after a few days it's gets pretty painful with all the pressure I put on.

Does anybody have any recommended shin protectors that might help?

Many thanks,

Ed
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The medical advice that we have received in the past is along the lines of a) remove the pressure (foam shin pad with a hole cut in it or removal of foam in the boot liner) or b) remove the metal (which either doesn't flex as much as bone does or painfully presses onto covering skin). The long term option in our case was to have the plates and screws removed about a year after each break.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I also have a tibial nail.

I did a Tib+Fib in Tignes... followed 7 months later by a second break back home Shocked

I was advised that I could have the bolts that held the nail in place removed after 2 years. Mine are sideways and cause me no problems against my boots, so I'm happy to leave them in. I do notice a very slight bit of pressure where the bones have meshed together, as this is a bit egg shaped, rather than smooth, but it isn't enough for me to consider removing boot liner in the area.

From how you describe your problem, my first step would be to remove a piece of boot liner the size of half a marble and see if that cures it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure it's worth having the screw/nail taken out (as I said, I only ever notice it skiing and I don't really fancy having 3 months or so out of action over the summer) - I'll try the "cutting a hole in the padding" option - I feel a bit silly I didn't think of that myself Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Removing the bolts is done under a local anaesthetic and there is no recovery time. The rod inside remains untouched.

Any surgeon is going to want to be happy you really need to be opened up though, because of the risk of infection.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy