Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helicopter Rescue - Chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Couldn't find a post about this anywhere - apologies if it has already appeared.

Shows how skilled the pilots are, though apparently this is "nothing unusual" for them - I'm still impressed anyway!

https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/insolite/video-les-images-epoustouflantes-de-l-intervention-de-l-helicoptere-de-la-gendarmerie-lors-d-un-1546874993

From another angle
http://youtube.com/v/JhM2P4Aloms
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Without taking anything away from the pilot that pretty routine flying, as you say. You jab in the front skid which stabilizes the machine and you know the slope angle so the rotors physically can't touch the snow. Well that's the theory. My dad in law had to attend a couple of incidents when things went wrong - a rear rotor that hit the cliff (they recovered and rebuilt the aircraft) and a rescue gone wrong in the Oisans where the aircraft was hit by a squall while the pilot was on the winch with the stricken climber attached to the cliff face (winched ripped from the aircraft, rescue worker and climber killed).

We have an old neighbour, Alain Frébault, who told us he was called by the prefecture in Grenoble because Chamonix PGHM were having trouble rescuing a pair of climbers and wanted assistance. Frébault didn't know the Mont Blanc range but on arriving on site radioed to a police observer to guide him to the location where the climbers were. He flew over a col and his helicopter was shot into the air like a champagne cork by the updraft on the other side. He descended and this time flew as close to the side of the mountain as possible, keeping an eye on the blades as they were just meters from the cliff face, buffeted by the winds he managed to touch down on the col des Hirondelles. He took off, flew to Chamonix and picked up 3 members of the PGHM and repeated the operation. The PGHM were amazed at his flying and asked him how someone from Grenoble was able to fly like that. At the time the Chamonix PGHM used helicopters like a taxi and would drop rescue workers at some safe spot and they would climb or descend to any stricken parties. Frébault explained that is how they did it in the Ecrins, get the rescue workers as close as possible to the accident.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Admiration for all these working to rescue others in such difficult terrain.

There was, a few years ago, a series following rescue team in Chamonix valley broadcast on UK TV. Principly helicopter based, a fascinating insight to what happens when a rescue is needed.

I've not seen it again and can't recall it's titling to look for it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have been rescued by these guys in conditions which I'd imagine most other pilots would consider completely unthinkable. They even went back unprompted and recovered my kit a few weeks later. The entire PGHM operation is unbelievable and I have alot of respect for them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
for anyone wishing to read one of the most accomplished rescues and the most harrowing story, try Jamie Andrews’ Life and Limb.

The PGHM pilot picked him up on the run, with the cable trailed over the col at speed. No way of hovering or landing the Lama in the high wind over the col...the worker on the ground caught the crab and hooked Jamie’s harness in, and he was hauled at speed off the hill. Astonishing. Regretfully there had been no window for 5 days, and the other Jamie died, while Jamie A lost parts of all of his limbs.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ski3 wrote:

There was, a few years ago, a series following rescue team in Chamonix valley broadcast on UK TV. Principly helicopter based, a fascinating insight to what happens when a rescue is needed.

Chamonix angels or something

Actually quite good despite the daytime tv style narration and presenter:

http://youtube.com/v/AMJ6WBm8pXw
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
8611 wrote:
ski3 wrote:

Chamonix angels or something

Actually quite good despite the daytime tv style narration and presenter:

http://youtube.com/v/AMJ6WBm8pXw

Thank you, that’s facsinating, they’re highly skilled and brave men.

The doctor is a tough guy with no head protection.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy