Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving - France compared to Austria??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - would like to know how driving to Austria compares to driving to France please?

We drive regularly to 3V, Paradiski etc. Usually do the drive in one day from Calais, normally taking around 9 hours (travel low season) and have a toll pass.
Want to head off somewhere in a couple of weeks - rather tempted by currently better snow conditions in Austria compared to France, and a change of scenery would be nice!

I know the drive would be a little longer. Any advice would be greatly received with thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Dippy, where are you traveling from?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snow tyres mandatory, I understand.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's a bit further, but cheaper as no tolls through Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany. If conditions are good (and car is suitable) you can get a move on through Germany. Winter tyres are a legal requirement. We have done it lots of times with no hassles, and only at half term did we encounter heavy traffic.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We live in Kent, so will take tunnel to Calais.
Will be driving in a Range Rover - no idea if it currently has winter tyres or not (I'm blonde and female wink !
I know we have never changed tyres when driving in France - never had a problem in last 22 years?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
France doesn't require winter tyres. Austria does.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
About 10 hours driving time from Calais to Salzburgland on a good journey.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
But that is about to change soon
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hells-Bells - do you mean the rule re tyres in France?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don't forget you'll need a vignette to drive on Austrian highways, can usually pick up a 10 day one to stick in yer windscreen before you reach the border when going through Germany.

I tend to drive to Austria most years and although I've been pretty lucky with weather, I've always found some kind of big traffic hold up somewhere along the way. I tend to drive through the night and avoid certain places at certain times of day. I'll try and list them, but these aren't on the same route.. sometimes I'll go via Belgium > Luxembourg > Germany, or Belgium > Germany > Austria, it's possible to go via Switzerland, but you'll have to pay a full years vignette which equates to about £35.. worth looking into if you're likely to go multiple times?

* Brussels, pretty much any time in daylight, can be a disaster and can lose a LOT of time.
* Lille, around rush hour (do your homework here too, roadsigns can be confusing, easy to take a wrong turn)
* Anywhere in the Karlsruhe/Stuttgart/Heilbronn area near a weekend/ rush hour.. best to hit this at night if possible (check Stuttgart football fixtures too), if you take this route it'll put you onto the A7 which is an awesome autobahn, you can chew up some serious miles here, opportunities to buy Austrian vignettes aplenty too, but, watch what time you hit......
* Reutte & the Fernpass, I find this the best way into Austria, especially if you're heading for the Otztal (Solden, Obergurgl etc.), you'll definately need a vignette for this road (some say it's possible to drive in Austria without one) even though it's a single carriageway road for the most part, check whether it's open too, the Austrian gov website is very good here, don't go anywhere near this road at the weekend though!!

I've only ever tried it once going via Munich and Kufstein, and I was lucky, but I've heard horror stories of hold ups there in the past. Also, the A8 autobahn between Stuttgart and Munich is notorious for hold ups.

My favourite route is Calais > Brussels > Leuven > Aachen > Koblenz (A61) > join A6 @ Hockenheim > A5 towards Karsruhe > A8 towards Stuttgart (expect hold up after Pforzheim, even in the middle of the night, unavoidable) > cut through Ulm on B10/B28 onto A7 south all the way to Reutte and over the Fernpass. I usually get a late crossing and start at about midnight on a weekday from Calais, 5 hours will get you well into Germany, I crash in the car for a few hours, then crack on..

On a side note, if you're heading for the Zillertal, try and avoid that on a Friday evening/ weekend, there's only really one way in and out of the valley, and it gets chocked up quite quickly..

Hope that helps!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes - very helpfull - thank you very much!
We would only travel outside of the school hols / busy times.
Would not drive thru the night so would either have a very early start (as we usually do when driving to France) or do an overnight stop.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We have done this every February for the last 5 years.
The only major holdups are on this side of the Channel and the Munich ring road. Last year we took the route via Nuremberg and then cut across country to miss out Munich. It’s slightly longer in mileage, but similar time wise as it’s less fiddly than the Luxembourg route.
That’s only worth considering if your heading to Salzburgerland or eastern end of the Tirol.
A couple of huge plusses compared to driving in France, no peages to hold you up, and the driving once you’re in the mountains is much easier as most resorts are in the valleys.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Few comments

10 hours Calais to Salzburgerland is very optimistic especially in winter. 10 hours Calais to Munich in Summer is about par for the course. Years ago when I had a fast car I did Munich to London door to door in 10 hours but that was when the tunnel was a lot less faff, it was a dry quiet Sunday and I was doing well over 200 km/h on the Autobahn.

Personally I would go via Luxembourg (cheap petrol too, dont use one of the official service stations, the queues can be silly, there are places just off the motorway eg at Schengen), then Stuttgart and depending on your destination either via Bregenz, or via Munich / Kuftstein or Munich / Salzburg. I would not recommend the Fern pass road, it only gets snowbound rarely (eg this week) but it is single carriage way from Füssen to the Inntal and there can be huge queues, maybe OK on a quiet traffic day.

The A8 can be prone to queues, Stuttgart (weekdays), Munich to Rosenheim (peak weekends, avoid if possible, 35km queues of very slow moving traffic are not untypical) but if you avoid the peak times it is a good road. The Munich ring road - A99 currently has road works (about 2km from my flat) and there can be big queues as a result. Ideally arrive Sunday morning, leave Saturday afternoon.

Buy a vignette for the Austrian motorways (unless things have changed recently not needed on Fern pass road), it costs about €10 for 10 days, not worth risking a fine, the Police will want cash on the spot and will take you to a cashpoint if you dont have enough on you. Stick to the speed limits, the Austrians are keen on speed cameras not just on the motorways.

No tolls currently in Belgium, Luxembourg & Germany (though that will change soon)

Get winter tyres.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
munich_irish wrote:
No tolls currently in Belgium, Luxembourg & Germany (though that will change soon)

What are the impending changes?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@munich_irish, agree in every respect
latest report
munich_irish wrote:
Get winter tyres.

Oops, forgot that bit... I've got Michelin Cross Climates, genuine winter tyre that wears well (I use them all year round), plus I carry chains too.. Don't forget your first aid kit/triangle/hi-viz/spare bulbs too wink

One of the reasons I don't always go via Luxembourg is I find the Ardennes section in Belgium seems to have it's own micro climate, I used to drive trucks around Europe and I've been caught out there several times in weird blizzards and ice when everywhere else was fine.. plus I do find the section once you get into Germany a bit of a faff around Landau etc.. lots of speed limits etc. I agree on the saving in fuel, but that made sense in a truck carrying 1500 litres.. I'd sooner chew up the miles, oops, kms Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
I used to live near Frankfurt. I would say that from Calais, you are looking at 13-14 hours to most Austrian ski resorts.
snow conditions
I did Rotterdam to Salzburgerland last year and it took me nearly 14 hours from leaving the ferry. All went well until I hit traffic problems not far from the Austrian border.
ski holidays
12 hours on a good run but 14 more like it
ski holidays
For me, an hour and a half from Calais to Ghent, for a night's sleep.
11 hours to Waidring, so in total 12 and a half (Saturday at half term, arriving 6pm ish).
latest report
@Alastair Pink, The CSU (Bavarian Tories) came up with an election wheeze a few years back, they claimed that Bavarians were getting a bad deal as they had to pay road tolls in the surrounding countries but others got to use Bavarian Autobahns for free. The plan was that non German residents would have to pay a road toll (suggesting that Germans should pay to use their own roads would have hardly been a vote winning idea). That got ruled out by Brussels. Next plan was that everyone pays but German motorists got a tax refund equal to the toll. Unsurprisingly that got ruled out too. After a lot more wrangling they have come up with a plan that keeps Brussels happy and sort of keeps to the "make foreigners pay for our roads" election promise. Basically there will be a vignette system, I think from 2020 though there are potential court cases, it could run for a while yet. If you are a German taxpayer you will get some sort of increased tax allowance.

See https://www.thelocal.de/20170324/what-the-new-german-autobahn-toll-will-mean-for-you
latest report
munich_irish wrote:
Few comments

10 hours Calais to Salzburgerland is very optimistic especially in winter. 10 hours Calais to Munich in Summer is about par for the course. Years ago when I had a fast car I did Munich to London door to door in 10 hours but that was when the tunnel was a lot less faff, it was a dry quiet Sunday and I was doing well over 200 km/h on the Autobahn.

Personally I would go via Luxembourg (cheap petrol too, dont use one of the official service stations, the queues can be silly, there are places just off the motorway eg at Schengen), then Stuttgart and depending on your destination either via Bregenz, or via Munich / Kuftstein or Munich / Salzburg. I would not recommend the Fern pass road, it only gets snowbound rarely (eg this week) but it is single carriage way from Füssen to the Inntal and there can be huge queues, maybe OK on a quiet traffic day.

The A8 can be prone to queues, Stuttgart (weekdays), Munich to Rosenheim (peak weekends, avoid if possible, 35km queues of very slow moving traffic are not untypical) but if you avoid the peak times it is a good road. The Munich ring road - A99 currently has road works (about 2km from my flat) and there can be big queues as a result. Ideally arrive Sunday morning, leave Saturday afternoon.

Buy a vignette for the Austrian motorways (unless things have changed recently not needed on Fern pass road), it costs about €10 for 10 days, not worth risking a fine, the Police will want cash on the spot and will take you to a cashpoint if you dont have enough on you. Stick to the speed limits, the Austrians are keen on speed cameras not just on the motorways.

Get winter tyres.

That's all spot on info! I have done Italy many times via all the different routes through either France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland and Austria in summer and winter. Imo you are used to the nice relaxed motorways that France offers you may (like i) find driving Belgium Lux Germany and Austria much less relaxing and pleasant. Mostly i prefer (to get to Italy) via skirting down the side of France to Mulhouse then through to Basel in Switzerland and down on to Italy either via the Lakes in Italy and Como or if going to the Valle D'Aosta down past Martigny then to the Great St Bernard Tunnel.

Last time i came through Germany i got so fed up with getting stuck in Stuttgart (doing the Karlsruhe to Ulm route) and crawling for hours over the Fern Pass that i vowed i wouldn't do it again and i haven't!
Earlier last year when driving to Alta Badia in the Dolomites i drove to Italy via France down past Reims Nancy and Mulhouse then through Switzerland then down from Como to the motorway and on to Lake Garda then finally North up towards the Brenner pass before heading off towards Alta Badia and i swear it was a better more relaxing and quicker route!!

I have avoided the Austrian vignette going to Italy by going over the Fern Pass then dropping down towards Innsbruck on the local roads then entering the motorway at Innsbruck to get onto the Brenner Pass toll road. This is a toll in its own right and has dispensation for the requirement of the normal vignette for driving on Austrian motorways.

As said you are way more likely to actually need the winter tyres in Austria as often there is a lot of snow on the road and they are a requirement anyway as stated.
snow report
there are already tolls for trucks (over 7.5t I think?). they're the gantries that make brits stamp on the brakes thinking they're speed cameras.

I reckon on about 6-6.5hours to get from Calais to Frankfurt, and about the same Frankfurt-Tirol, plus stops. But then I live in Frankfurt (well close enough), so never do the whole run in one go. Nor do I ever go the Luxembourg way, cos it's not the most direct route for me.

Brussels often gets slated on here. Again, I did it in 12 minutes from E40 round the ring back on to E40. Lunchtime on a working day both ways. My record worst time was 20mins or so when there was a jam coming off the E40 on to the Ring cos half the lanes were blocked off while a crane lifted an upside down car that had made it past the barriers in to a bridge support.

I'd avoid Munich area on a Saturday day time (and also a Sunday evening on the way home). A8 is probably where I see most hold ups. Although the roadworks (if any - not been that way yet this year) can be depressing. In general those are fine and tend to flow at the 80kmh limit... it's just that sometimes they go on for 30km at a time! But there are so many route options, it's hard to recommend one without knowing which resort is the destination, and what time leaving Calais.
ski holidays
Everyone seems to have missed the biggest difference: You have to pay for the toilets in German service stations! 70¢, but you get a voucher back for 50¢ to use in the service station.

Traffic south of Munich can be very bad at rush hour and at weekends. In general the autobahns are busier than the French motorways.

There are often queues at the border going back in to Germany from Austria.
snow report
Costs 70¢ for a pee in Belgium too now (but also with 50¢ voucher to spend on more coffee).
At least the German vouchers are valid for a year, and you can use more than one per purchase. Belgium are valid for 2 months, and only one voucher per purchase in the shop/cafe.
Least the bogs are infinitely cleaner than a British Moto etc.
snow report
Austrian Seagull wrote:
About 10 hours driving time from Calais to Salzburgland on a good journey.
I think the Seagull flies at a different altitude to us drivers.

We did Rotterdam to 1hr west of Salzburg (674 miles)in June 12.50 hrs each way including a couple of short stops. Traffic was pretty clear
latest report
Quote:

I've got Michelin Cross Climates, genuine winter tyre

I thought they were All-Season tyres with Mountain/Snowflake badge, just being pedantic. However they are an excellent tyre
snow conditions
@Frosty the Snowman, An average of 53mph, I thought your trucks were limited to 50mph Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boris wrote:
Quote:

I've got Michelin Cross Climates, genuine winter tyre

I thought they were All-Season tyres with Mountain/Snowflake badge, just being pedantic. However they are an excellent tyre

I think you're right, apologies for the bum steer.. I've been glad to have them on a few occasions though Shocked
snow report
@QRZBuddha, they are an excellent tyre and very pleased with mine. Just thought worth clarifying as tyres can be very touchy subject here wink
ski holidays
With loo and eating stops i'm in the 12-14 Hours group. Used to live in Belgium and don't ever recall getting less than 10 hours (from Mons) to Ski Amade in the ski season.
snow conditions
Re the tyres, yes, certified winters carry the 'mountain and snowflake' symbol and Michelin Cross-climates are thus certifed, but they are summer tyres that arguably only just qualify as such. We have them on our 2nd. 'runaround' car and they're great but opt for 'proper' winters on the main car we take to the Alps. Be careful if you talk to some independent tyre retailers: some of them seem to be on an incentive to promote cross-climates and don't appreciate the legal implications if they aren't also certified winters. And they often seem to think that for some reason, winters aren't as good a cross-climates in warmer weather, which isn't true -you won't be using your winters in the summer, so it doesn't apply. I suggest you ask your dealer for certified winter setup as a starting-point, then use that spec' to take a look at independent alternatives for comparison. It's only a personal opinion, but while the argument is strong for all-seasons rather than separate winters and summers for a UK-only car, for me, taking it to the Alps is what swings it in favour of getting 'proper' winters.
ski holidays
Dippy wrote:
We live in Kent, so will take tunnel to Calais.
Will be driving in a Range Rover - no idea if it currently has winter tyres or not (I'm blonde and female wink !
I know we have never changed tyres when driving in France - never had a problem in last 22 years?

LR have been selling new cars since approx 2014 with All Season Tyres as standard. So your Range Rover may well have these already which are legal for use. You will need to be sure though.

https://www.help.gv.at/Portal.Node/hlpd/public/content/6/Seite.0631001.html
ski holidays
You can also avoid the need for a vignette by leaving the A8 at Siegsdorf (in Germany) and heading to Saalfelden via Inzell and Lofer.
snow conditions
Or turning off before the border at Kufstein and using the A171 then A173 for Skiwelt and Kitzbuhel. It only adds a few minutes as you'd only be on the motorway for one junction anyway.
latest report
@Drammeister, It used to be no vignette until Kufstein Süd but that has changed and you have to have a vignette from the border. You can come off at Kiefersfelden (last exit in Germany also shared by the services at the border) however do note that Kufstein council does not like all the holiday traffic passing through the town. They have installed a traffic light with a camera just before entering the town on the road from Kiefersfelden. It only operates from 08:00 to 16:00 on a Saturday in winter but it means (very) long queues unless you are through before 08:00.
snow conditions
Yeah, I said before the border. I tend to be after 16:00 anyway.
ski holidays
I am considering getting into Austria via the Arlberg Tunnel ..it cost a bit but saves that traffic jam round Munich or the Fern pass ...2 hours in that last year....any thoughts
latest report
@DaveD, Depends where you are going and when. There tends to be a long tailback at Bludenz where the road goes from dual to single carriageway (mainly Swiss and Dutch). The used to be very long queues for the Pfänder tunnel at Bregenz, though there is now a second bore so that might have fixed that (not been through in winter since it opened). There is also a speed restriction of 100km/h between Innsbruck and Kufstein.

The best way to beat the queues is to avoid Munich on a Saturday in either the winter or summer peak holiday weekends..
snow report
Quote:

You can also avoid the need for a vignette by leaving the A8 at Siegsdorf (in Germany) and heading to Saalfelden via Inzell and Lofer.

Yes - never yet had to buy a vignette when travelling to Saalbach.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy