Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quick and dirty re-edging after a day's skiing on hard pistes?

Poster: A snowHead
So I am just back from Chatel where pistes have been very hard and in places icy, which obviously had a detrimental effect on the edges. Taking the skis to the shop every day to have them edged is difficult logistically, so is there any way to quickly DIY it without all the fancy equipment?

Is there a tool that will allow me to a do a quick "better-than-nothing" edging in a ski room or a balcony?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
are you sure you need to do them EVERY day? (assuming you are not on Chinese skis Happy )

This is what Doug Coombs recommended, back in the day, and it is probably good advice. You need a gnarly bastard file to take the edge material off, a normal file will get choked on the plastic. You can also remove burrs with a gummi, which may be all you need, but they are around 25 quid to buy.

http://youtube.com/v/Wi4N4duxwgk
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’d have thought a gummi stone would do you unless you are chasing 100ths of seconds through the gates

If you can’t hold an edge on skis which only have a few days’ on them since they were last serviced, maybe a lesson Little Angel
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Edge tool and a gummy stone. Pretty cheap.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof wrote:
are you sure you need to do them EVERY day?

I am not, actually. I've never serviced skis and am totally clueless. It was difficult to tell at what point bad edges started to make a difference as pistes deteriorated as well. So may be I am just overreacting.

Arno wrote:

If you can’t hold an edge on skis which only have a few days’ on them since they were last serviced, maybe a lesson

I tried that snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Worth a £10
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mosha Marc, that's just a guide? It says I will also need a bench and files Puzzled
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mosha Marc wrote:
Worth a £10

However you need to add aluoxide stone and diamond file to that, and it is the correct edge angle? In addition would be worth having the gummy stone.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I wonder what happened to my edging tool? One benefit of the snowmaggedon in Austria is my edges don't need doing before next time!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Oleski, You will need a file as well as the edge guide but you don't need a bench.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whilst you may have a quick look at the edges at the end of each day, unless there are a lot of rocks about you shouldn't need to consider light edge sharpening more than once every 2-3 days (or longer).

There is good advice here https://thepisteoffice.com/index.php/1-tuning-advice/tuning-guide.html
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whoa boys, I did say:

Mosha Marc wrote:
Edge tool and a gummy stone. Pretty cheap.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And I meant just a little Alu Oxide stone, not a gummy.

That is all, nowt else.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For those that don;t service their own skis but want to do touch-up the edges during the week (especially usefully on hardpack/ice when edges can burr up in just a few hours) then use this: https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/edge-tools/side-edge-guides/kunzmann-edge-trick-tool-c-w-alu-detail.html

I also do the same tool with a diamond file or with both the alu-oxude & the diamond.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What @spyderjon says. Those little edge tools should be all you need.

That said, once a week should be sufficient. Unless you are hitting lots of submerged rocks, or are competing in World Cup GS events, the ice will not have much effect on a stainless steel edge.
latest report
@spyderjon, thank you, that looks like exactly what I need.

A question: when would I use diamond one as opposed to alu-oxide?
snow report
bar shaker wrote:
......once a week should be sufficient.....the ice will not have much effect on a stainless steel edge.

They can get burred up in just a few hours, espcially if you're going sideways a lot. Ski/board edges are carbon steel, not stainless, and are only about 48 Rockwell so not that hard. Much harder and they'd crack under flexing.
snow conditions
Depends where you're skiing. From the sounds of it you won't need to worry about your edges in Austria but here in France (Alpe d'Huez) you really want your edges in good condition and the pistes (/sheet ice/rocks) are really giving them a beating.
snow conditions
Oleski wrote:
@spyderjon, thank you, that looks like exactly what I need.

A question: when would I use diamond one as opposed to alu-oxide?

Alu-oxide first for deburring/stone ding removal and then swap to the diamond insert for a little polish up. Always use the diamond wet, ie water, snow, spit, beer etc but nothing oil based.
ski holidays
@spyderjon, thanks, ordered the alu+diamond one
snow report
Oleski wrote:
It was difficult to tell at what point bad edges started to make a difference as pistes deteriorated as well. So may be I am just overreacting.

Last year conditions were so epic on the two weeks I was out that I never had to worry about the quality of my DIY edge finish or whether they needed an intra-week mini-tune but being out Christmas week was a bit of a different story as some of the pistes were extremely smooth and most punters weren't getting much grab. I had no kit so just had to live with it. I suspect there is a bit of both. I need to get a topsheet shaver and I think my Diamond file may need replacing but it was icy too.
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
bar shaker wrote:
......once a week should be sufficient.....the ice will not have much effect on a stainless steel edge.

They can get burred up in just a few hours, espcially if you're going sideways a lot. Ski/board edges are carbon steel, not stainless, and are only about 48 Rockwell so not that hard. Much harder and they'd crack under flexing.

Always thought they were stainless. I live and learn snowHead
snow report
Quote:

if you're going sideways a lot

Clearly an easy solution to that... wink
snow report
bar shaker wrote:
......Always thought they were stainless......

I had a pair in for service last week that had been put away wet last season and they were so rusty that the two skis had rust welded themselves together at the tips and tails. Had to get a wedge of wood and a hammer to seperate them.
ski holidays
Quote:

Always thought they were stainless. I live and learn

what did you think that rust-coloured stuff was then? Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
@Oleski, If you haven't done them before, my two-pennyworth would be get someone to show you how to do it first so you don't trash them, regardless of the tool selection.
snow conditions
I use this tool in between workshop tunes: https://www.toko.ch/en/wax-tools/tools/product/show/edge-tuner-pro/?tx_product_productlist%5Bfilter%5D%5BapplicationType%5D=28&cHash=67832cf458b2ff89e6fcb3980c354823 It seems to do the job pretty well.
ski holidays
Seen a few similar threads recently in various places which Almost always suggest a gummi to remove rust etc from edges.
A rubber gummi stone in the hands of a novice is probably the single most likely thing to turn a slightly dull edge into an utterly blunt edge in the shortest possible period.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jedster wrote:
Quote:

Always thought they were stainless. I live and learn

what did you think that rust-coloured stuff was then? Very Happy Very Happy

I'm a recent ski owner but have never seen rusty edges on any of my boards.
snow report
I get rusty edges all the time - local mountain 40km ish from the pacific, so guessing there's a lot of salt in the snow (tastes like it on the big face plants). If I leave a board in the bag wet, the edges will go rusty within a day. Living next to a beach probably doesn't help either.
snow report
@hang11, sounds a hard life NehNeh
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy