Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Useless European Lift queue Management

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@bambionskiis, we also like to ride up as a family when we can. Normally sort ourselves out in the area between turnstiles and gate, however sometimes with all the best intentions, kids hesitate, manage to have their poles caught on the wrong side of tbe gate, or somehow manage to get distanced or in the wrong lane on the moving runways on newer lifts.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nothing wrong with getting on as a family, we aim to, but if we end up at gate we don't stop there and wait for someone!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chairlift is about the only time in the day you can really get a chat with your ski buddy's though! Its really easy to get organised well before the gates and ensures you don't have to suffer the inevitable snotty French teenager blowing smoke in your face the whole time! Chill out you are on holiday
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boris wrote:
Always make sure to pass drinks, food, lip balm across him to family

Ah, so you want to sit with family but not next to them. So, basically you want a private lift? So many couples/families do this and it's annoying. Either sit together or don't. But if you don't, don't expect others to wait for the next lift. It's not always a "he". It might be me, jumping in the middle of you all with a cheery "Bonjour".
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If the lift is busy I will go ahead to fill a space, the only exception to this is if I am skiing with my parents who are in their eighties when I will ensure we get on together so I can help at the top. But I would organise this early in the queue so others can easily join us. I gate seeing wasted spaces on busy lifts.

Any ski resort that have single person queues gets a big tick from me, and you can get to talk to some interesting people who normally share a common love of skiing. There again the number of people I meet who are staying at a friend's flat suggests I need to find some better friends...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Interesting to see how the VIP/Paradiski pass holders only lanes work out in Les Arcs this year....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@yorkshirelad, Italians clearly less bothered about B.O...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We all like to ride with our mates/family but when its clearly busy, it's common decency not to hold up a big queue by being picky who you sit with. Let's be honest, most resorts have small queues on most lifts these days so we should all be able to get with our chosen companions on most lifts.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
So I'm here in Crans Montana, New Years week, and the lift queue's are horrendous.

The fundamental problem was the "location" one. I skied 3V (based in Les Menuires) Christmas week, and then Les Arcs on sunday, Valmorel and St Francois New years eve and Espace Diamante New years day and we hardly saw a soul anywhere. Maximum queue was 5 minutes when we hit one of the 3V main links around 4pm once. Just saying.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
andyrew-The fundamental problem no matter where you are in the Alps, is the crass stupidity of some people.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I agree 100%. On many occasions I have been in long lines with half of the chair going up empty...drives me up the wall. I worked a season in Aspen as a lifty (some years back now) and when it was busy we were instructed to get 100% capacity which meant getting the line sorted out way before the loading point and yelling at people to "GO NOW". We even had four or six lanes taped up to save the bun fight (something that I have never seen in Europe). Singles line is also a great thing which is not really utilised in Europe. On many occasions I have provided some "choice" words to lazy lift attendants to sort their s**t out!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boredsurfin wrote:
Interesting to see how the VIP/Paradiski pass holders only lanes work out in Les Arcs this year....

Slippery slope!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
maggi wrote:
Boris wrote:
Always make sure to pass drinks, food, lip balm across him to family

Ah, so you want to sit with family but not next to them. So, basically you want a private lift? So many couples/families do this and it's annoying. Either sit together or don't. But if you don't, don't expect others to wait for the next lift. It's not always a "he". It might be me, jumping in the middle of you all with a cheery "Bonjour".

maggi In well over 30 trips, I've never had a female do this.

Not sure if you read the entire post, but to be clear I am not talking about when it's busy. When it's busy fill up the seats. I'm talking when there is no-one around and someone decides they have to join us rather than wait a couple of seconds to take an otherwise empty lift behind them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My experience of US lift queue management is only Killington, Vermont but it was well done. A 4 man chair with a Y shaped approach with people approaching from one side and a singles line the other side.

Lifty standing at the join of the Y. He shouts "how many" to the fully populated line. They say "Two" and he waves them on and shouts "Two singles" and two skiers miraculously appear from the singles line to fill the other two seats. Same story with "Three" and "One single".

It just worked.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy