Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

kolkie's first tours - Col du Lautaret

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Not too many people go from snowploughing on green runs to skitouring in three seasons, despite two knee injuries in the meantime, and all while holding a full-time office job. kolkie did, and I'm very proud of her.

Here she is on the north-facing side, where we hoped we would find some windblown powder on 31st Dec, but we scored breakable crust instead (which she arguably skied better than me):

And here's the south-facing side, where we managed to get spring snow on the way down, on the first of Jan.

Bonus windy photo (this one actually on piste, a couple days earlier)

...and second bonus, her one-word review of her new Whitedots R.98 CL: "sensational"!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@horizon, superb! Last 2 pics are $$$
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@horizon, brilliant.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@horizon, nice one Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Amazing pictures! And I wish I could make progress like that, that's excellent.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@horizon, great photos. Well done, kolkie!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From those photos looks like you headed towards Trois Evaches up the Col Galibier road and then on - good to hear conditions are ok as I'm planning to take a daughter out on a little tourette with the dogs if back is ok, that said I'm still tempted to go elsewhere for untracked but can't take the gamble if snow is not good.

And lightweight women always seem to ski breakable crust better than us guys Laughing

But so glad she loved it, and sorry about bum steer for Combeynot, got that wrong Laughing

Positive is that with the wind after three or so days then maybe it will be Spring, just hoping, S facing sloped that is and not Combeynot!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weathercam wrote:
From those photos looks like you headed towards Trois Evaches up the Col Galibier road and then on - good to hear conditions are ok as I'm planning to take a daughter out on a little tourette with the dogs if back is ok,

be careful, the temperatures have dropped since they did that tour and there is very little to no thaw on south facing slopes during the day - including those exact slopes. You'd best check with one of your guide friends about what they think of future conditions.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes forecasts looking very cold and keeps changing.

And this time of year slope aspect / angle of sun = steep is better

PS I do have a guide mate who asks me about conditions over this way Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weathercam wrote:
Yes forecasts looking very cold and keeps changing.

And this time of year slope aspect / angle of sun = steep is better

PS I do have a guide mate who asks me about conditions over this way Laughing

Well you can tell him that the south slopes of the Pic des Trois Évêchés were very hard snow today with virtually no degel due to the wind and temperatures. Also a nasty fall a bit further south from you on a similar slope aspect, a ski tourer fell 300 meters and narrowly avoided going over cliffs. Seems like it might be a ski crampon issue which is why I nearly always switch to crampons rather than couteaux in these conditions.

It was seeing the drop in temperature yesterday that persuaded me to do other activities today. A lot of our ski tours finish in ice at the moment but that is because the trailheads are on wooded paths between 1300-1600 meters where it rained heavily, that I would accept if there was some spring skiing higher up. North slopes are frequently sheet ice. Devil and the deep blue sea.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So you were up there today?

Would like to get my daughter out with the dogs rather than waste money on a forfait, so will wait and see.

Think I've mentioned before on here I have a nice field of snow, S facing at 15 ° and that always gives me a good idea, better than reading on skitour.fr

Though think I'm still a bit crocked after my fall. Such are the challenges at living at 1400m as opposed to 400m Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@horizon, snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Weathercam wrote:

No, why would I go there if the snow is bad?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

No, why would I go there if the snow is bad?

Aaaaaaahhh you base your views on stuff you've read/heard as opposed to being there?

Maybe not the best theory when said reportages could well be from your other Grenoble mates who if they were anything like the groups I saw a few weeks back, and I mentioned, had absolutely no idea of route selection and ended up skiing crap snow Toofy Grin

This was posted by Pelle Lange of Skiers Lodge yesterday

Overcast and minus 7 in the valley this morning so not a lot is going to happen snow wise today Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy