Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Long weekend 18-21st Jan, where would you go?

Poster: A snowHead
We have flights already booked getting in to Geneva early on the 18th of this month for a long weekend break.
We aren't quite too sure where to go from here.
I had been thinking a short transfer so we could possibly ski on the Friday afternoon but not too sure about where resort wise.
I always ski three valleys and would love to try somewhere else.
Any ideas appreciated
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No point going to 3V for a weekend. Les Carroz must be the closest - and a few other ideas here:

https://www.skiweekender.com/ski-holiday-guides/comparison-ski-resorts-near-geneva-airport
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chamonix
Les Gets/Morzine
Verbier (though you might not get an afternoon ski, depends on how early you get in to GVA)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@RMM, La Clusaz, St Gervais, Les Contamines, Samoens, Les Carroz, Morillon, Morzine, Les Gets....... all within an hour or so of GVA, give or take, and if you post your dates and requirements on www.chaletsdirect.com Solutions Room you will get plenty of offers for accommodation
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@RMM, Catch fast train to Zurich, and head east into western Austria.

If I was to suggest anywhere close to GVA i'd say train and Martigny and head up to Verbier daily from there, this year unless things change via a lot of snow its better in the east so far. Could change though but forecast not suggesting much in next 7-10 days in western Alps.

Possible to change your flights?, if so fly into Innsbruck and ski there for the weekend.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm going to Val d'Isere snowHead

Go where there is snow, even if it takes an hour longer to drive there.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Change Flights to Salzburg and be in Schladming 50 mins later. Go with the snow.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm in Les Gets which is the closest resort. Nowhere around here is great at the mo however they're fine on piste and we're due snow next week.

I'd say wait it out until the week before, nobody will be full that week anyway.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/fr/les-gets/151721/january-weather/151721

you can't trust long range forecasts but here's one anyway
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you for everyone's responses so far.
It can be a little baffling when looking at the huge options of resorts so I really appreciate everyone's opinions.
We are flying from Edinburgh and there are no direct flights to Austria on the 18th so I think we will have to stick with our flights to Geneva.
Great tip about chalets direct - I've posted up our dates - thank you !
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Me and my wife have booked to same dates for a long weekend. We Get into Geneve at 09:15 on the Friday morning and then heading to Les Carroz. We got a cracking deal on flights and also a good deal on an apartment for the 4 nights. Just hoping the forcast is correct and they get some more snow over the next 2 weeks
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Where did you look to get the deal on the apartment if you don't mind me asking ?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ideally you want somewhere within 90 minutes of the airport so you can ski from lunchtime on arrival day. The list of good options would normally be Les Carroz / Morillon, Morzine / Les Gets, St Gervais / Megeve / Combloux, La Clusaz / Le Grand Bornand, Chamonix, or dozens of smaller ski areas. But given the relatively poor conditions in low resorts close to Geneva at the moment, try and wait a little before booking. Things will probably improve before then (the week before is looking relatively cold and snowy at present), but just in case...

If you don't want to wait, I'd book somewhere with access to plenty of high slopes (in case it doesn't) and lots of trees (in case it's stormy). Les Carroz / Morillon (for access to Flaine) and Morzine (for access to Avoriaz) probably fit the bill from the list above.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

the relatively poor conditions in low resorts close to Geneva at the moment

What relatively poor conditions? Relative to what? March? We had some very nice skiing over xmas week. Definitely good for the time of year.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@RMM, I think that you can be flexible for a while longer yet. Accommodation is readily available that week and so I'd hold your nerve. As @denfinella, says, look for somewhere that has options for high slopes and trees if the weather closes in. I was in Les Carroz early Jan for the last 2 years and could not get to Flaine due to high winds/complete white out but had a great few days in the trees.
snow report
@RMM, how many are you?
ski holidays
There's just the two of us.
It's rather hard to not just pull the trigger and book somewhere. But I can completely understand that waiting to see how things develop is the best idea.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy