Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas 2019 resort shortlist

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having stayed in Arc 1950 over Easter the last two years, we are considering our first Christmas ski trip. The family is two adults and two kids (10 and 13). We are all around the same level on skis (happy with most reds) and whilst I snowboard pretty well i’d like to use the week to improve my skiing so it will be kids in ski school mornings and mum and dad in either group lessons, or private tuition as well. In the afternoons we like to ski together at a relaxed pace!

Looking at suitable (high) resorts that have good links to Geneva and Turin (will be using air miles so has to be via BA) we have the following on the shortlist:

Cervinia
Val Thorens
Tignes
Les Arc

We like the idea of Cervinia (lots of long reds for improving and a change from France) but are a little concerned at the frequent wind closures. As this will be a DIY effort we won’t have the security of a tour operator busing us somewhere open if this happens.

Key considerations are high, lots of nice reds and blues, reasonably picturesque setting, good quality SC accommodation close or on the slopes, choice of family restaurants, max 3 hr transfer and good English speaking ski school.

Is there other resorts in France/Italy worth our consideration? (Austria/Switzerland out due to value/travel considerations) Also interested in folks Christmas ski experience in any of the current shortlisted resorts. Kids will no doubt be a little sad to miss Christmas at home, so fun activities in the village for Christmas are a bonus!

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Munter,

I’ve skied Cervinia a few times including over Christmas a couple of years ago. Also did a short break over New Year and stayed in Valtournenche which is the next village down the valley but the skiing is connected to Cervinia.

It has a reputation for being windy but that causes more problems for getting to Zermatt unless it is really windy.

The Christmas we visited there was plenty of snow and we could ski down into the village and also into Valtournenche. The skiing does sound like it would suit you as there is plenty of mileage on cruisy blue and red runs.

Although not self catering we have stayed at the Hotel Compagnoni and Mon Reve which were both in a B&b basis. The Mon Reve is above the village on one of the runs in to the village. There is a shuttle bus but it’s quite a walk back if you are out late.

The Compagnoni is in the middle of the village and two mins walk from the chair lifts so nice and convenient.

If you go and fancy a change of scenery half way through the week then Pila is worth a day trip....I’m assuming you will have a car

Thanks
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Rumo75, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

You could look at Courchevel 1650, which ticks quite a few of your boxes. VT will certainly give you the guaranteed snow, but if the weather blows in, it’s a fairly bleak and unforgiving place. The trade off early season i think is between, a. guaranteed snow, but higher risk of lift closures with stormy weather and no trees to aid vis, or b. Staying lower down, possibly poorer snow, but more picturesque resort and lower risk of lift closures with poor weather.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't understand why you're ruling out Austria? Much better value than France & lots of resorts easily accessible from Munich in less than 2 hours (which surely BA must fly to) or is just one hour from Innsbruck airport. Just back from a brilliant Christmas week in Mayrhofen. It's high & the amazing hi-tech lifts meant no queues all week. Extensive ski area but two almost equally large areas are on the same pass & less than 30 minutes away. Mayrhofen also top for value for money for family skiing in Austria according to this article - https://www.welt.de/reise/nah/article148541213/Die-guenstigsten-und-teuersten-Skiorte-fuer-Familien.html Definitely much cheaper than St Anton which I also considered originally. And if you want to drive all the way it's only an hour further than Val D'Isere. And if it's a bad snow year the Hintertux glacier (one of the most extensive in europe) is also on the same pass.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Couple of things here:

#1 It's not Christmas in the mountains/skiing... it's more skiing at Christmas time. By that I mean all the things most people normally do at Christmas go out the window. Sure the resorts will put up some Christmas lights, hand out a few sweets, etc. but it's pretty low key. And you can't cart over your full decorations and christmas presents with you. And I don't know about you but I don't watch any TV when I am out skiing. And of course you can't go to the local pub or visiting folk. So if you want to get away from it all and have a good skiing holiday in the mountains then go for it. We've done it for years and largely love it for exactly that reason. Of course, you will be guaranteed a "white Christmas".

#2 Late December the days are short and of course it's the heart of winter. So, for me at least, residing lower and having immediate access to some tree skiing is a major plus, arguably even essential.

We've had Christmas at La Tania, ADH, Tignes and Paradiski. Latest report and links to others here.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Many thanks for all the replies. It has been interesting trying to balance the various factors! In the end we have gone for Val Thorens.

The height, ski in/out accommodation, size of village, variety of terrain and the opportunity to use the same ski school (evolution) as in Les Arcs all came into play. There are some draw backs, and I’m certainly up for Austria next time, but I think VT ticks more of our boxes.

Just have to sort some good SC accommodation now Happy

Thanks again
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Personally, if I was you and you haven't booked accommodation yet I'd look for something in Les Menuires rather than Val Thorens.
Having skied the last 5 Christmases in the 3V Val Thorens has always been the least enjoyable sector. Much busier than anywhere else and full of knob-ends 'skiing' dangerously out of control.
You'll find accommodation prices cheaper too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Davos/Klosters can be excellent at Christmas. You fly into Zurich airport (loads of BA flghts) and you can take the train which is super easy.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy