Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Grave's steeps, deeps, chutes, cliffs ... and risks

Poster: A snowHead
snowbunny,

Yep, got an unsual debug error...not seen that before...!!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JT, I think that you are pressing the keys too hard myself Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JT wrote:
ADH is a huge big bowl really but it needs someone who knows where they are going I think...

there are some obvious and easily accessible stashes (eg under the Villard Reculas chair, lots of stuff to the sides of the pistes up on the glacier) but it is best enjoyed with local knowledge. i can think of one huge powder field which illustrates this. it's between two pistes but it actually requires very good local knowledge to get the full benefit of it.

that's one of the joys of off-piste skiing for me though. you spot a stash which no-one has tracked, then you have to work out how to get to it

there are plenty of places where you can get cliffed out in ADH too by the way...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno wrote:
davidof, sorry - that wasn't meant to say that Serre Che doesn't have avalanches. I meant that it's possibly the sort of place where low angle snow next to the piste doesn't get tracked out straight away.

Hi Arno,

That shouldn't be taken as a contradiction of what you said, I was just adding a bit of extra information for people who are taking off there.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof wrote:
If someone had been in that they could have been killed or seriously injured by either the trees or debris. Remember this slide started in the woods as skiers were coming down.

..and just to reinforce that, the slide in Montgenevre last week that killed one and seriously damaged a guide (10 broken ribs, seriously broken arm) was in the trees - according to the survivor who came into in our hotel bar in LG that evening. I think the one that died got pounded into a tree.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno,

yep, and then you look to see how much higher you can get in and you've tracked it out all by yourself once you've got the lift a few times... Laughing Laughing

Have to get back to that area again soon..maybe a trip to ADH/LDA/LG is THE trip for next year

Looking from LDA to the ADH Pic...can you ski down to the valley road that LG is on...???
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JT wrote:
Arno,

yep, and then you look to see how much higher you can get in and you've tracked it out all by yourself once you've got the lift a few times... Laughing Laughing

Have to get back to that area again soon..maybe a trip to ADH/LDA/LG is THE trip for next year

Looking from LDA to the ADH Pic...can you ski down to the valley road that LG is on...???

keep talking, you might tempt me...

From ADH you can't (or not in any practical sense) ski down to the LG valley floor

There is a descent from the Auris side which takes you part of the way down, but it ends at the road back to Auris (c 1400m high). To get to the valley floor you'd need to ski through all sorts of farmer's fields etc. You'd end up at Le Freney.

There are descents from the Pic Blanc heading more directly in the direction of LG (eg the Grand Sablat or the glacier off the back of Pic Bayle). However, there is a big plateau between where those finish (the village of Clavans basically) and LG. You could probably do the traverse in a day if you took skins and were feeling energetic!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno,

Well there me, GrahamN and DM looking at the LG area next year. Its my No1 trip so far ...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marc,

a good place to try with the family is La Plagne, it's known as an intermediate/beginners resorts, so you can find decent snow days after a storm, as these pics from a few years ago will prove:

http://gregh.co.uk/albums/laplagne/

as others have said, aim for non trendy resorts that aren't hyped for mega off piste, Gressoney is a great one, but is prone to poor snow and high wind, Morzine also worth a visit IMHO

Or just take the wife and kids to Aspen Wink

regards,

Greg
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gregh, I'm going to Aspen to avoid the wife 'n kids Laughing

I like this shot of you best

snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gregh
Quote:
...aim for non trendy resorts that aren't hyped for mega off piste, Gressoney is a great one, but is prone to poor snow and high wind,...

I think you may find the word's out on that one now. There were a bunch of yanks at our hotel in LG last week who were shipping out there for the 2nd half of the week....and guess where I'm off to on Sunday too snowHead snowHead .
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marc gledhill, Megeve didn't seem to attract powder skiers the one time I was there.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rjs, Megeve attracts uber rich folk who generally don't ski when it's snowing. That leaves all the powder pretty well untouched. Had a few trips there, during the last one, it snowed all day, everday Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fortunately that's not a shot of me Marc, I was taking the pics

GrahamN, word may be out, but there simply ain't enough beds there for it to get busy, I reckon it'd still be very quiet mid week. Hopefully it'll be quiet and you'll get some fresh tracks for your trip, please report back, esp on if the wind stopped your fun!

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So anyone for a Snowheads trip to LG next year ? snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
ski, Only if we can split into groups based on (lack of) ability in deep snow.
latest report
ski,

Yep, DM's up for it, I hope GrahamN is too, and if we have a litle group Charlotte might be able to introduce us to a local or two who can show us something else... Sounds like a 10 day sort of trip... but all to play for.

We talked earlier about this but I wasn't able to commit - unforeseen circumstances - and GrahamN went on his own but I want to do this next year for sure...
snow conditions
ski, sure (although I have to check what Gressoney has to offer Wink ). IIRC you're constrained by half-term, do you know the dates yet, as booking is now open for the Barbican concert season through to July 2007 rolling eyes and I'm getting pressured to book up stuff already Shocked , so I'll avoid those dates (as their refund policy isn't brilliant).

One thing I did work out is that having a car is pretty essential - if LG gets closed due to weather there's bu%%er else to do, and taxis can get pretty expensive (and you probably want to get around a bit anyway).
latest report
GrahamN,

PM'd you..
ski holidays
GrahamN, Sorry don't know the dates ... is there any R Straus, Wagner or Janacek that week ?
snow report
Sorry R Strauss (can't type)
snow conditions
I can certainly help you guys with really good local guides who know the whole area well - but if it's half term you'd need to book them very early as a lot of them work for the ski schools at that time to boost their income.
ski holidays
ski, difficult to answer if you won't let on which week Wink - but basically no. Details sent by PM to avoid cluttering this thread.
ski holidays
easiski,

Get back to you when we get a concensus on dates and bodies..
ski holidays
To be fair to the memory of Lucy Dicker, she didn't just fall to her death. She was taken out by another journalist who skidded into her.
snow report
There are so many slopes and couloirs at La Grave that you may not discover even after several visits (you can see some of them on http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Hautes-Alpes/La-Grave-Off-Piste-Map but he has missed a few I can think of).
Do you know the couloir which starts at tree level quite steep (I can't remember the name) and just goes on and on and on without a break, all the way down to a small hamlet by the road. Or the way down where you go to the top of the drag lifts and keep far left of the glacier. The times I've been there we were roped down a very short but very exposed bit, and you end up at the road by the bottom end of one of the tunnels.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 12-03-06 14:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
snowball,
Quote:

Or the way down where you go to the top of the drag lifts and keep far left of the glacier. The times I've been there we were roped down a very short but very exposed bit, and you end up at the road by the bottom end of one of the tunnels.

Think that one is called Girosse, great skiing snowHead
snow report
snowball wrote:
Do you know the couloir which starts at tree level quite steep (I can't remember the name) and just goes on and on and on without a break, all the way down to a small hamlet by the road.

Freaux?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno, that rings a bell, I think you are right. But the other one perhaps I never knew the name of.
latest report
snowball wrote:
There are so many slopes and couloirs at La Grave that you may not discover even after several visits (you can see some of them on http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Hautes-Alpes/La-Grave-Off-Piste-Map but he has missed a few I can think of).
Do you know the couloir which starts at tree level quite steep (I can't remember the name) and just goes on and on and on without a break, all the way down to a small hamlet by the road. Or the way down where you go to the top of the drag lifts and keep far left of the glacier. The times I've been there we were roped down a very short but very exposed bit, and you end up at the road by the bottom end of one of the tunnels.

La Vaute? I think that's the one that ends by the tunnel, mountain side of a small bridge over the stream? Two rappels in that one.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy