Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski resort near Milan, Venice or Turin airports or other realistic options for half term

Poster: A snowHead
Hi so we just got back from La Plagne and I am having withdrawal symptom and would really like to try and arrange another ski holiday this year, preferably during half term and cheap! I know this sounds unrealistic, given that most people (including me) book long in advance, but have looked and there are still some reasonably priced flights to Milan, Venice and Turin.. so what resorts can you recommend for family holiday within easy reach from these airports? We are family of 4 with boys aged 8 and 5 . Have never skied in Italy before.. happy with other countries suggestions too
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Bella2015, Champoluc, although I am biased (wife’s paternal family from their, etc.)

Easy drive from any of Milan or Turin. (Bergamo is not Milan!)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No brainer. Risoul.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It all depends on what you classify as "easy reach" or "an easy drive".
We are flying to Treviso at half term and skiing at Kronplatz which is a 2 hour 45 minute "easy drive". It genuinely is an easy drive as it is pretty much motorway for 90% of the trip.
If you take the view that once you are loaded up then there is little practical difference between a 1 hour 45 minute drive and a 2 hour 45 minute drive, then just about anywhere in the Dolomites should be available to you. Find a quiet corner without too many Brits and enjoy it. Alleghe? San Vigilio? Plenty of others
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If cost is your driver then look at Pila in the Aosta Valley. Ticks all your boxes. Champoluc good too with a bit more skiing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Bella2015, Courmayeur is also a good option, try to stay outside the town in Entreves so you have easier access to the skiing on the Val Veny side.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you, will start looking into these. Is it fairly easy to rent a car at the airport in Italy? Have never done before. How are ski schools for kids in Italian resorts?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Im a huge fan of Italian skiing but took my kids to Risoul when they were small and it was one of the best holiday decisions we ever made. No queues at half term. Perfect skiing for kids- easy enough over the whole mountain, great sledge park and amazing sweet shop in the main Street.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@cameronphillips2000, thanks. What I meant not necessarily Italian resorts but the ones that can be reached easily from Italian airports
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3224865&highlight=san+cassiano#3224865

And look at the other places mentioned. Cheap if you avoid eating at the Rosa Alpina!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Regarding Risoul, unfortunately UK half term (if 16-23 Feb) collides with Marseille school holidays this year, so it might no be as easy to get inexpensive accomodation and arrange ski lessons. Can't advise on queues.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@cameronphillips2000, thanks. What I meant not necessarily Italian resorts but the ones that can be reached easily from Italian airports
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lots of amazing Italian resorts for families too although, due to low pricing many fill up with school trips at half term.
I skied Civetta at half term once with no queues. Folgarida has a great lift system for kids with Madonna offering something on the same pass. Cervinia, of course offers huge blue run skiing, if a little charmless.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Maurienne Valley is within easy reach by motorway through the Frejus tunnel from Turin. Can vouch for family friendly and cheap, certainly for France, at half term. Various options within the Haute Maurienne villages such as Val Cenis as well as Valloire, Val Frejus etc. Val Cenis has a good ranges of greens, blues and reds.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arabba is about a 2 hr transfer from Venice and Treviso airport.

The Arabba tourist office runs a shuttle Sat/Sun dropping you off at listed accomodation for booking https://www.arabba.it/en/information/arabba-transfer/45-0.html

Unless you are looking for real hairy chest black runs the skiing is excellent and all Italians love kids.

I skied there a number of times at half term and found it a lot quieter than France A LOT QUIETER!
latest report
@under a new name, just saw some good accommodation option in Champoluc. Do you know / can recommend any ski schools and in general kids friendly activities?
latest report
@Bella2015, The Italian ski school are actually pretty good and the younger instructors usually speak English. If it's a option, my neices' had a good time with "Monica".

Activities other than skiing? Don't know but the bro in law usually does a couple of weeks there and his kids are 6 and 7...
snow report
We stayed at Staffal in the Monte Rosa area at half term two years ago. It was a large party of family and friends, which we were persuaded to join even though we have no school age children anymore. Other than it costing a lot more that we are used to due to the holidays, we were amazed by how relatively quiet the slopes were, with barely a lift queue to speak of. The skiing was excellent and we went again last year in January, staying in Gressoney La Trinite. About 2 hour transfer from Turin from what I can remember.
snow report
Montgenèvre is about 1 hour 20 mins away from Turin. Part of the Via Lattea for the more adventurous to ski into Italy but more than plenty on the Mont De Lune pass (which is Montgenevre and Claviere).

When we were there (which admittedly was the week before half term) it was quieter than any other resort we’ve been to at a similar time.

As it’s not as popular as other resorts, prices are cheaper. But saying that, it’ll be a premium anywhere during half term!
latest report
From Turin it’s easy to get to Serre Chevalier. One of my favourite resorts so far - gorgeous tree runs and good variety of levels. For non skiiers there’s the town of Briancon, easily accessible by bus. There’s also the best spa I’ve ever been to, Les Grands Bains Monetier.
latest report
Finally booked Pila for this HT. Also the flights were a bit £££ ( we are flying Sunday to Monday to make it a little cheaper) , the rest is really well priced! Booked through Carole from Pilaski. Very excited! Any local tips much appreciated for anyone who knows Pila!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy