Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les gets with newbie 6 year old & 2yo in tow

Poster: A snowHead
Tell me all about les gets please! Taking the 6 yo who will be in ski school / in chalet childcare (going with ski Famille) most of the time. Where should us parents ski/ board, eat, drink and make merry?!
And where should a rusty parent take a private lesson or 3?
Any tips for what to do with the 2yo when there is no childcare would also be handy.
Cheers Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Most 2 year olds will enjoy gentle tobogganing.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Les gets middle station is great for parents and little ones there’s sledging and baby slopes and restaurants! @SirCharles, I recommend Ivan ar Alpiday for a few private lessons
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sledging area 100m up from base at At chavannes. ICe rink obv. Play area for littlest i behind the OdT as well by the ESF. Up Red Bubble and lunch at any one of the restaurants.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sledging area 100m up from base at At chavannes. ICe rink obv. Play area for littlest i behind the OdT as well by the ESF. Up Red Bubble and lunch at any one of the restaurants.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Definitely spend a day early on at the Mont Cherry side; can be much better skiing, has a couple of fab restaurants and is much quieter than Chavannes; if you leave it til the end of your trip you may wish you’d left more time for it. Timing is key; the runs face either N or S; do the S facing ones while the (really fantastic) N facing back side softens up.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We’re off to Les Gets with Ski Famille at the beginning of April so I’m reading this thread with interest. Our group will be 6 adults plus 5 children ranging from 7 to 2. I’m trying to persuade my brother and sister in law to use the in chalet Nanny to look after their 2 year old (this is the plan for my 2 year old) and to book their two older children into ski school is Ski Famille (this is the plan for our 7 year old) and then the chalet lunch option so we don’t have To take the children to ski school and then clock watch so we can collect them two hours later! And then in the afternoons we can have fun as a family, to tobaganing and use the hot tub!

Some of the adults are also somewhat rusty (and unfit) and would quite probably benefit from some gentle instruction Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Surely the whole point of going with Ski Famille is to make the most of the in-chalet childcare?

I’ve been a couple of times with them, and although my kids were in ski school there were very little children being looked after by the chalet staff all day. Our groups I’ve been with have had kids ranging from 5 up to 10 and they made it very easy to organise meeting up with them after ski school. Our chalets had male nannies each time and my son worshipped them. The Ski Famille childcare staff are excellent and really make the holiday easy from a childcare pov.

The first time we were in a town centre chalet and the nannies picked our kids up from ski school, got them lunch in the chalet then brought them to meet us for an afternoon skiing as a family. Second time we were in the Mouflon chalet by La Turche and we skied down after lunch in La Paika again to collect kids to ski together.

Hot chocolates at the Yeti or ice cream sundaes at the Grand Cry are a must! These are up at the Chavannes midstation which you’ll easily be able to get your 2yo to. And there are lots of gentle but fun easy tree runs that your 6yo will be able to do nearby.

With the lovely local food we’ve always come home a little heavier! Top tip for the staff night off is to book a babysitter and go for dinner at the Grand Ours on Montchery. They take you up in a converted pistebasher and it’s fab being up on the mountain at night. You have to book it ASAP though- it is very popular and might pay to book before you go to ensure a place.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Awesome comments guys. Thank you so much.
Do you think any instructor would take a strong and feisty 2 1/2yo for a private lesson or 2? Am wondering whether to let my littlest have a go but am not confident In my own ability!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
They usually don’t take anyone under 3 but you can ask. The ESF Piou Piou will be ok though
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks. What is the ESF Piou Piou?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Actually even that’s 3-6 as well, sub 3 isn’t normally taught beyond a nursery/nanny which is what you are paying SF for
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Very few places will take a 2yo to teach them to ski, but the Ski Famille nannies will take them up the cable cars, out on the snow and play at snowmen and tobogganing every day.

Not even the keenest family member here has ever succeeded in getting a 2 year old to focus on skiing. They don't have the leg strength and its really more fun for them to just play in the snow at that age. We tried every now and again, but really nothing happens until they are at least 3. Even then my daughter would only put on one ski at a time and mess about, she had a meltdown if you tried to put both skis on her at once. At 4 she was away and ready for lessons. Now at 11 she skis faster than I do and will take on blacks easily. So we didn't try so hard with my younger child. He was signed up for ski school in Austria at 3 but was ill so couldn't go, once he was feeling better we just propped him up between our legs. He had his first ski lessons in France age 4 and at 8 he will also ski black runs and loves a good bumpy powdery bit to muck about in through the trees beside the piste.

At 2 your focus should be on getting them to enjoy themselves sufficiently that you can go out skiing. They'll get there before you know it!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pandora wrote:
Very few places will take a 2yo to teach them to ski, but the Ski Famille nannies will take them up the cable cars, out on the snow and play at snowmen and tobogganing every day.

Not even the keenest family member here has ever succeeded in getting a 2 year old to focus on skiing. They don't have the leg strength and its really more fun for them to just play in the snow at that age. We tried every now and again, but really nothing happens until they are at least 3. Even then my daughter would only put on one ski at a time and mess about, she had a meltdown if you tried to put both skis on her at once. At 4 she was away and ready for lessons. Now at 11 she skis faster than I do and will take on blacks easily. So we didn't try so hard with my younger child. He was signed up for ski school in Austria at 3 but was ill so couldn't go, once he was feeling better we just propped him up between our legs. He had his first ski lessons in France age 4 and at 8 he will also ski black runs and loves a good bumpy powdery bit to muck about in through the trees beside the piste.

At 2 your focus should be on getting them to enjoy themselves sufficiently that you can go out skiing. They'll get there before you know it!

Thanks for this. Very reassuring! Don’t want her to feel left out but don’t want to put her off either.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Agreed, don’t be too impatient, just let them enjoy. Your main target is that next year they will look forward to going.
latest report
Honestly I wouldn't even bother with the 2 1/2 year old.

Les Gets is full of stuff to do with kids and it's all very easy to get to. Ski Famille is set up to make things even easier.

Everywhere is set up for you to have a great time, I came here on holiday 7 years ago and now live here, it's a great place and you'll have a ball. Try to get up to the Grande Ourse on Mt Chery and the Vaffieu at the top of Les Folliets at least for lunch. For the chalet night off Tyrol is good for kids, they have a playroom and their pizza is great.

Let me know if you'd like any specific recommendations on instructors, my partner is with ESF and then there are the 360 guys as well. If you tell me what you're looking for I may be able to give you some suggestions Smile
ski holidays
@MeMyselfandI, ooh yes please. For me! I’m looking for a private lesson or 3...... so yes definitely love a recommendation for ski instructor for a nervous and rusty intermediate!

And also a recommendation for private instructor for a 6yo (if needed.... hoping he will love the arranged group lessons).
Thanks
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy