Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chatel mid february

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just booked a weeks skiing in chattel, would love some info about the place/tips.
1) Driving from geneva airport, never drove in france before , google maps shows two ways around the lake one 80 km one 130 km, both the same ammount of time. Which is best?
2) Ski hire in resort
3) Recommendations for ski instruction for 1 or 2 hour lessons
4) Both Intermediates, so how easy is it to get around the whole ski area, avoriaz, les Gets etc?
5) Recommended pistes, nice reds and easy blacks

Many thanks

Mark
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mark8500, I'll chip in regarding 1 & 4.

1. There are actually 3 routes. Through Geneva to the Rolex Bridge at the end of the lake, then hug the lake's southern shore and follow the road towards Thonon and turn right at Thonon to Chatel. Depending on traffic through Geneva (which can be a nightmare at peak times) in my experience this is the quickest & shortest route. If you arrive at rush hour it can take hours, but as I get in a 21:00 tonight this is what I'll do.

Another option is to pick up the motorway in Geneva and head out towards Chamonix. Come off the motorway at Annemasse and work your way through to Thonon. After Annemasse it's quicker to go through Bons en Chablais rather than north to Douvaine.

Or go clockwise round the lake and approach Chatel via Morgins. This is the easy navigation route and if traffic is heavy in Geneva can be the quickest.

#4. I don't think that there are any pistes that would prevent a halfway decent skier from going all over the place. The difficult ones are not the ones that are used as links between resorts.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mark8500,

1. @Matt1959, has it right. I have done all three but usually go through Geneva if it is reasonably quiet or round the lake if Geneva is busy. If you have passengers who are apt to be car sick N side of the lake is better (though there are mountain roads to the Pas de Morgins).

2. Depends where you are based in Chatel. We have always used Henri Gonon in Petit Chatel (one of the Skiset shops) and had good service but that is because our apartment is there.

3. I haven't used them personally but BASS get generally good reviews.

4. Easy to get to most of the area from Chatel. Certainly the Swiss side and Avoriaz are easy. Morzine a bit further and Les Gets quite a trek. If you want ot have a full day over in Morzine/Les Gets you could drive round to avoid any last lift panics.

5. Reds - Perdrix Blanche in Chatel, Lynx in La Chapelle (Braitaz), Abricotine down to the Lindarets valley from Mossettes
Blacks - Coupe du Monde above Avoriaz

Bear in mind mid-Feb is peak French holidays so it will be busy. Bottom of French Mossettes and the lifts in Avoriaz tend to get queues. La Chapelle often quieter.

Enjoy!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@DJL, Oi! Stop telling them about La Chapelle. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Matt1959, Embarassed
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies. Any ides if its better/cheaper to get ski passes in Chatel or prior to travel?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy