Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When/where to book for Xmas 2019? (Lech?)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

This is my first post here - have done a lot of reading and my own research, but thought I'd ask a few questions...

We're a early-30s Australian couple who want to escape next Christmas to Europe. We are thinking of flying into Vienna (for a two nights from 21 December), then getting up a mountain for a true white Christmas for five nights from 23 December (would be a Saturday check-out so hopefully works in with minimum stays). Have chosen Vienna as entry point for Christmas markets and because neither of us have been there.

Firstly - when should we start looking to book accommodation for this period?

Secondly - I think we have landed on Lech as being our location. Based on the following, does this sound right? Essentially, we are looking for a picturesque ski village with a nice Christmas atmosphere. One of us is an intermediate skier, however, the other has never been on a mountain before. Will need a good school for a couple of days private lessons, then a couple of days together on some beginner-friendly runs. We also appreciate early in the season, so I have been trying to research high and more snow-sure locations. I was also considering Zermatt, but it doesn't sound as beginner friendly and some people seem to suggest it can be a bit of a harsh location in December weather-wise. Zermatt does sound gorgeous though, but from Vienna would mean a flight (vs getting a direct train to Langen am Arlberg).

I think our budget will be around 600 eur per day for accommodation for two (hopefully half-board). Based on this year's pricing, I think that would get us somewhere reasonably nice. We will also need to factor in renting gear as we don't have any and probably doesn't make a lot of sense for us to purchase and bring it all the way from Australia. We may be able to borrow some stuff - but boots and skis will definitely be rentals.

As far as I can tell, Lech fits the bill as the best all rounder given our criteria.

Would be great to get some thoughts and any other advice. Simply looking for a fun, white Christmas - but partner is also keen to try skiing!

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lech should fit you quite well. The best place to look for accommodation is the Tourist Office website
https://www.lechzuers.com/
I think that's still a bit early to book for next xmas, but you can send them an email, if the search engine comes empty
Booking for 5 nights isn't going to be easy. You can always consider booking 7 nights and using only 5 (cheaper hotel maybe, but you can still get a very nice room for 2 persons for 7 nights under 3000 eur). We sometimes book for 7 nights and leave a day early, depending on the flights
Try and book the instructor for your wife early too, ski schools tend to be swamped at xmas
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy