Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where would you go (2nd-13th Jan)?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My wife and I are heading skiing on the 2nd to the 13th Jan, but are undecided where to go. The forecast has ruled out France unless it all changes, so thinking Austria. So far, Saalbach, Westendorf and the Gastein area are all on the list. As it’s Austria and the first week will be very busy, there is limited accommodation but some availability in all of these. Anywhere else I should have on the list?

Georgia is also a possibility but I’m not sure there is enough piste skiing for my wife. She is happy skiing reds and I’ll ski anything in resort and like to get off piste where possible.

Where would you go? Doesn’t have to be a massive resort. Would prefer not to drive but would for the right place.

Cheers

Chris
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
its been a while since in westendorf and would happily go back as theres loads of skiing with the access to both soll and kitzbuhel, went to gastein area for a few days last year and whilst we enjoyed the area wasnt that impressed, found the town and buses hard work with limited apres, wouldnt rush back esp for more than a short cheap trip. Saalbach to stay in not hinterglem would be and is my and my wifes favorite this last few years, good skiing, excellent uplift, big area, well maintained pistes , plenty to keep you skiing whatever the weather without retracing same routes all the time and whatever sort of apres you like you will find along with an international friendly crowd. some very good hotels esp those on the main street with almost ski in ski out and we are going back later in the season for 9/10 days as we have this last few years and I can hardly wait even though we are having a short dolomite trip mid jan
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If its any help we drive to saalbach and the route for us is north sea crossing to rotterdam , then a full days 10 hrs drive would get you into resort in time for dinner or we have overnighted preferably south of munich and passed the innsbruck junction (just book a room when travelling) to get into resort mid morning to be able to ski and not be tired plus its usually cheaper accom for the first night
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Solden
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
"Georgia also an option" that's very alternative.

If Austria, I'd go wherever you can get accommodation. Have been searching something "reasonably" priced in the Tirol or Voralberg for the last week. Not surprisingly not much available but just offered something in Serfaus which looks a great option with good snow, compact village, high altitude (for Austria) and big ski area.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Peter Ross wrote:
"Georgia also an option" that's very alternative.

If Austria, I'd go wherever you can get accommodation. Have been searching something "reasonably" priced in the Tirol or Voralberg for the last week. Not surprisingly not much available but just offered something in Serfaus which looks a great option with good snow, compact village, high altitude (for Austria) and big ski area.

Thanks. Happy to go wherever the snow is good, hence Georgia. Setfaus looks great but couldn’t find any accommodation there. Did you get it through the tourist information site?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski for fun wrote:
its been a while since in westendorf and would happily go back as theres loads of skiing with the access to both soll and kitzbuhel, went to gastein area for a few days last year and whilst we enjoyed the area wasnt that impressed, found the town and buses hard work with limited apres, wouldnt rush back esp for more than a short cheap trip. Saalbach to stay in not hinterglem would be and is my and my wifes favorite this last few years, good skiing, excellent uplift, big area, well maintained pistes , plenty to keep you skiing whatever the weather without retracing same routes all the time and whatever sort of apres you like you will find along with an international friendly crowd. some very good hotels esp those on the main street with almost ski in ski out and we are going back later in the season for 9/10 days as we have this last few years and I can hardly wait even though we are having a short dolomite trip mid jan

Thanks, that’s really helpful. Unfortunately accommodation is really limited in Saalbach otherwise that would be my first choice.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
yorkshirelad wrote:
Solden

Looks great but can’t find any accommodation under 4k or so!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Go high. The last dump was rain below 2000m and nothing significant in the forecast so you’ll be skiing what’s there now with another peak week of traffic.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
how about sat to sat then move hotel for a couple of days or try another town for a look see seems to be plenty on booking .com in saalbach, depends on your likes and needs and of course budget,though either 3 or 4 x comes up and not overly exp considering and got to take into account vfm and location
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski for fun wrote:
how about sat to sat then move hotel for a couple of days or try another town for a look see seems to be plenty on booking .com in saalbach, depends on your likes and needs and of course budget,though either 3 or 4 x comes up and not overly exp considering and got to take into account vfm and location

Yes this may well be the plan but not much around for the first part of the trip. Cheers
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BobinCH wrote:
Go high. The last dump was rain below 2000m and nothing significant in the forecast so you’ll be skiing what’s there now with another peak week of traffic.

I’m hoping the potential snow for the start of new year in Austria materialises!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Chris_R, Pity you couldn’t make it the week beginning 12th January. I have an apartment going begging - ski-in ski-out and unbeatable location.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tatmanstours wrote:
@Chris_R, Pity you couldn’t make it the week beginning 12th January. I have an apartment going begging - ski-in ski-out and unbeatable location.

It is a shame but we have to be back at work then, hopefully next time! It seems you have sorted us out anyway with your connection. Many thanks.

Many thanks for the advice everyone. Fingers crossed the snow materialises for Austria, if not we will have to make the most of the apres...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We’re heading to Davos on the 2nd; would never usually have considered Switzerland but there were lots of reasonably priced, and decent looking, hotels and the area seems to have done pretty well out of recent snowfalls with significantly colder temps than most of France this weekend. Flights to Zurich and easy train transfer.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy