Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Preacher replacement - going narrower

Poster: A snowHead
So next season I will probably look to replace my 2012 Preachers (179).

I am 168cm and 60kg, my current skis aside from the Preacher are Head Magnums and WD Ranger 98CL (touring ski).

I am looking to go a little narrower, something in the 90-100mm underfoot range and around 173cm, with maybe 20% tip rocker. It would mostly be used for off-piste (80%+).

Currently I am probably looking to test at least some of the following:
HEAD Kore 93
Blizzard Bonafide
Dynastar Legend 96
Black Crows Chamox
Zag H95
Faction CT 2.0

Any others I should consider? Anyone skied the above?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scott Superguide 95? Although why not just use the Rangers?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Scarlet, couple of reasons. First I would prefer something with a slightly shorter radius than the Ranger and something a bit heavier with thicker bases. The Ranger is a great touring ski but the carbon light does not like rocks so well, where as the Preacher I have skied over may rocks without a core shot.

As the SuperGuide is also a touring ski I would worry it would have the same issue.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@SnowPenguin, Volkl 90eight?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@SnowPenguin, why are you going against the general (but perhaps misguided) flow and going narrower?

Will 12-20 mm reduction matter? Esp. if mostly for off piste?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SnowPenguin wrote:
@Scarlet, couple of reasons. First I would prefer something with a slightly shorter radius than the Ranger and something a bit heavier with thicker bases. The Ranger is a great touring ski but the carbon light does not like rocks so well, where as the Preacher I have skied over may rocks without a core shot.

As the SuperGuide is also a touring ski I would worry it would have the same issue.

The bases are the same on all the Whitedot models and Scott also use the same grade/thickness.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mainly because at my weight I do not need to go so wide and I would like something a touch more versatile and a little easier to use on piste.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mainly because at my weight I do not need to go so wide and I would like something a touch more versatile and a little easier to use on piste.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had a similar list, 3 of the same skis, and posted it on a thread here : http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=127519&highlight=
Might be interesting reading for you

Ended up with the Camox and love it - fast but agile, stable and unflappable. My thoughts on the Camox are here : http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=131902&highlight=

Hope that helps.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@spyderjon, hmm that is interesting. I assumed the Preachers had a thicker base as they seem more resilient to abuse.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kastle FX95HP. Incredible ski!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've tested everything on your list other than the Blizzard and the Zag, and the Nordica Enforcer 100 is the king of the ~100mm class IMHO.

But your style and how you like to ski is very important too - do you want a serious and 'competent' alpine tool or fun and flickable plaything?

I could happily have an Enforcer and a Sallie QST 99 in the quiver without considering them to overlap at all. Both great in very different ways.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So... @SnowPenguin,
Quote:
It would mostly be used for off-piste (80%+).

Is somewhat misleading Evil or Very Mad

I am liking my Bonafides very much. Mrs U is liking her Mantras (which should also be in that group) and seems to be skiing even faster on them than usual.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@SnowPenguin, At your height (same as mine) and weight (a little lighter then mine) I'm surprised you are on the 179 Preachers - are they hard work? Why not buy my 169 Preachers instead and get some 173 Ones in the deal too for pistes and ice? Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was going to say ranger.
latest report
I really enjoyed playing around on the CT2.0 at Oktobertest but not sure it'd be a suitable Preacher replacement as seemed much more playful and less charge-y. That's only from 30 minutes of indoor chaos though so I'm not sure how they'll perform on a mountain. Was very tempted when I spotted that you can get them on Freeze Pro (until tomorrow) for £475 including bindings.
snow conditions
I enjoy my Bonafides too. Good on piste and off-piste although I have a pair of Rossignol Super 7s for deeper snow (actually good n piste too). Bonafides are probably better for smashing through the crud and mixed stuff.

Actually thinking about what I should take to Avoriaz next week. If it snows the Rossis, but Bonafides would be good for the current conditions from what I hear. ...... views
snow report
Thanks for all the replies guys. I am going to Chamonix in a couple of weeks so will do some testing there and at the EoSB.
snow report
@SnowPenguin, if it's any help at all, just uploaded a few Vids of the Kastles on piste and in crud. I'll try and get some off piste tomoz (there are some on you tube already off piste)

As ever, testing will be the key

http://youtube.com/v/hUBxJb91VYc
snow conditions
@PaulC1984, nice , kastle are a quality ski and the new 95hp is up there with the best of them

worth trying the none hp as well , bit more forgiving for the lighter skier Very Happy
latest report
@PaulC1984, looks busy Very Happy Snow tomo here, going to make sure tango doesn't have a breakdown if his new skis don't carve.
latest report
@Dabber, thanks. I like em stiff dus me... I'm 70kg before lunch but in a 173 they're bang on for me. I tried the non HP but a little too soft for me, albeit I suspect more forgiving off piste like you say Happy
ski holidays
@Matrski, hahaha. He's just so used to skinny skis off piste and in fairness to him he pulls it off with style. Those Heads of his should carve a beaut. Happy
snow report
As the director of Proskilab reviews I can recommend these skis :

Kore 93 ("best ski" awarded by Proskilab in the all-mountain category, lower score by Neveitalia. Check out Gearscore.co.uk for reviews https://www.gearscore.co.uk/head/kore-93/2019/reviews-and-prices/ )
Camox (freebird version, "best ski award" in the touring/freeride category)
FX95HP (not included in the 2019 PSL test, but an excellent ski, will certainly be in the 2020 session)

Best,

Hervé
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy