Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"ZARBARDAST "about as off piste as it gets plus bonus jap pow for the boarders

Poster: A snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/AkigzUFr3ys

one of the best ski movies I've seen , so real , what an amazing place

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 24-12-18 16:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Excellent
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wow. A proper adventure. That was truly « Zabardast »!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

http://youtube.com/v/2T2_AgNatGI

one more for the dark side
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Awesome movie, definite no-fall zone down the icy runnel to skier's left on the tower Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Reminds me of the time when I summited the ice wall at Castleford
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good lines at 34:00mins in video 1.

A couple boarders looked out of their depth and shouldn't really have been on the trip.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks, good video.

Interested to get other people's take on some of the risk management. Personally I thought they took some chances, but obviously they are the experts so maybe more calculated than the edit puts across.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@boarder2020, they definitely took some chances , and for us normal humans , high risk terrain and high risk snow pack is 100%no go turn back , which tom did , the others weighed up their choices and accepted the risks and the possible consequences , which they must have discussed beforehand , but I do think that the very experienced guide gave them a lot of confidence , even so some very scary edging going on Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

and for us normal humans , high risk terrain and high risk snow pack is 100% no go turn back

Not sure them being excellent skiers/boarders really makes it any safer. I'm sure they knew the risks but some of it seemed too risky in my opinion. Of course everyones acceptable risks are different and we just see a small edited view of what was going on. Some things like not sending the guy with altitude sickness symptoms down and breaking camp to cross a glacier in a storm with poor visibility seemed strange.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@boarder2020, agreed definatley doesn't make them any safer , in fact in some ways the better you are the more at risk you may be .

having spent a bit of time with folk that ski/board at this level of steepness and exposure , I find what is possible (not safe ) is off the chart these days
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Superb film and brilliantly shot, given how remote they were. The skier definitely took a Jeremy Heitz attitude to the line...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great film, captures everything a trip like that must be like, different culture, atmosphere, personalities, soul searching plus skiing.

Not sure usual rules of safety apply if you've all planned and saved for years and invested probably most of your savings and free time on trip with a goal in mind. Those lads tend to live balls out dirtbag lives and if you're going for it you're going for it once.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Not sure usual rules of safety apply if you've all planned and saved for years and invested probably most of your savings and free time on trip with a goal in mind

I doubt the trip was *that* expensive. The standard western organised commercial expeditions (i.e. profit driven) to snow lake are around £3500 per person for 20ish days. The guys in the film appeared to have all their own kit, and were generally self sufficient other than a few porters which probably cost around $25 per day each. Combine that with the fact their guide probably has some good contacts out there I wouldn't be surprised if it was pretty cheap. Really you are just looking at flights, visa, transport (private jeeps are about £50 per day), permits for the area, porters. Definitely could be done all in for less than $2000 per person.

I imagine that sponsors covered at least some of whatever cost they have?

The would agree that it being so remote, probably a place you never will return, and the investment of time and money (however much and either from the skiers or sponsors), and the fact there are cameras there making a documentary probably puts a huge amount of pressure on them to take risks. However, any mountain guide will tell you the above should have zero influence on decision making. Of course in reality we see it often does (summit fever leads to lots of bad decisions).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Dabber, Thanks for posting the link, what a fantastic movie. I felt I was there making the route choices and decisions alongside the mountaineers.
latest report
[quote="boarder2020"]
Quote:

The standard western organised commercial expeditions (i.e. profit driven) to snow lake are around £3500 per person for 20ish days.

I'd be seriously tempted by this - linkie? Is it just a trek through the area or can you ski?
snow report
Quote:

I'd be seriously tempted by this - linkie? Is it just a trek through the area or can you ski?

It's just trekking over glaciers (I believe this is the longest continuous glacier outside the poles), and 1 high pass (5100m) - note this isn't the skam la pass they cross in the film. No skiing on the standard trip, but they might be flexible. Here's an example of a western run expedition https://www.themountaincompany.co.uk/pakistan/walking-and-trekking/snow-lake-and-hispar-la/ - £3500 for 22 days, you need to add international flights and visa on to that. I'm sure you can find others through Google. Vertical explorers are a local agency that can also organise it - less expensive but probably not as luxurious or professional as western companies.

The other famous trek in that area is Gondogoro pass trek: which takes you through Baltoro Glacier, Concordia (supposedly one of the most impressive views in the world), K2 base camp, and then Gondogoro pass (5585m).
ski holidays
Yeah that view of k2 from glacier is on the list for sure, just worry a bit about safety / stability of that neck of woods
snow report
Pakistan as a whole is not the safest place, there are some areas where visiting would certainly be risky. But kkh and the northern part are generally considered to be safe.
snow report
My palms were sweating watching that!! Amazing skills (and balls), but eeeeeeeeeeek!
snow report
HoneyBunny wrote:
My palms were sweating watching that!! Amazing skills (and balls), but eeeeeeeeeeek!
+1
snow conditions
Yep, really good watch. One of my mates did some of the music as well!

I felt the movie was more honest in airing their doubts and revealing the decision making process etc. and because of that transparency, it probably appears like they took more risk than normal. However, we usually don’t get to see so much of the behind the scenes thinking (usually mostly the descent) so it’s actually quite hard to compare it to decision making in other mountain movies. For example, I was reminded of that epic Jeremy Jones descent in the Himalayas - somewhere in the Khumbu valley (I think) - where I don’t remember seeing nearly as much of the background planning and thought process.
snow report
Awesome movie, Some great filming ,felt I was up there with them !!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy