Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's Wrong with my Knee?

Poster: A snowHead
This is a very minor ailment compared to many of the posts in this section, but I thought I'd ask for advice anyway. I had a bit of a sore right knee before I came skiing, I think I gave it a slight twist at the climbing wall or something. Been skiing for a week and it's not actually sore when skiing, just a bit stiff and slightly swollen. I've got a limited range of motion in the knee, it's okay up to about 90 degrees and hurts if I try to push it any further. Feels like a tightness in something just above the front of my knee. Anyone know what this might be? Should I try to stretch/force it or just carry on skiing and hope that it will get better? I've not skied today, mainly because it's pouring rain in Ischgl, the viz is terrible and the winds have shut some of the lifts. But I do want to ski the rest of the week.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just carry on skiing and hope it gets no worse.
Perhaps try some anti inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen.... If you can take them
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Doctors, anti inflammatories, R.I.C.E.
Best of luck and hope it gets better sooner.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wot Frosty said. As Jonathan Bell once posted, you don't need a huge amount of flexion to ski well, so no need to force it. And ice it when you get back every evening.
My knees aren't brilliant but this regime keeps me going:
- ibuprofen with breakfast if I'm a bit creaky in the morning. Once I get moving, there's rarely a need to top up.
- wear compression tights as an under-layer (and consider wearing them overnight if you have pain at the end of the day)
- wear neoprene knee sleeves for warmth and to aid proprioception (thank you Mrs Jonathan Bell aka Claire Robertson)
- do some stretches and then ice when you get back from skiing, without fail.
Hth, it works for me.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds like an "itis" of something (bursa, tendon, muscle, ligament, other...) - but that's as far as my diagnosis goes.
Take it easy, don't overdo it, stop if it hurts or gets worse, see a physio asap, rest, ice, anti inflammatories (down throat or on skin). If you can get some tubigrip or a neoprene wrap-around 'brace' it might be a good idea.
Technically might be a good idea not to ski (or to ski hard) on it, but hopefully worst case is that it takes a bit longer to recover once back home and a physio might tut a bit at you; but, hey, there's skiing to be done. Enjoy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If it gets very swollen you might find a doctor in resort to pull some fluid off it - even quite a small amount of fluid can interfere with the way the muscles work, and make you more vulnerable to injury. Depending on the way the doctor concerned thinks, they might also give you a steroid injection. This is just "get you through the week skiing" treatment.... short term stuff!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Maybe a sports massage?
As you say its above your knee are you sure it is your knee?
Can you thumb press & manipulate the area to make the pain happen?
Youve not described the type of pain or if it feels deep, surface, etc.which may help
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 for neoprene velcro knee braces.

I have had the same pair for over 20 years [Umbro] and they seem to make a huge difference to the level of wear and tear during a week's skiing.
I don't think they give much support. I think it is mainly warmth .... ?
Whatever it is, I really notice an extra level of discomfort if I forget them.

Good luck.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Patello femoral pain syndrome. Or quadriceps tendinitis.

What everyone else said. Do the stretches gently on holiday. If not better see a physio back home. Good luck!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Valkyrie, in my own experience of a Bakers cyst which is exacerbated by prolonged periods of skiing, I also get tightness to the point of pain developing above the front of the knee when attempting to flex it beyond a particular point, but this and other symptoms aren't the cause of the problem - they are all caused by the swelling behind and within the knee which interferes with normal function.

I don't have the medical knowledge to give you advice, but I wouldn't try forcing anything, nor massaging as this isn't always the best course of action without understanding the underlying cause - indeed just resting and elevating the leg when you get the opportunity might be a good idea. If your symptoms don't interfere with your skiing, then try following the advice given above, and seek professional assessment on your return.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Valkyrie,
If you have had a grumbling pain at the front of the knee without an injury it could be many things but the most frequent would be knee cap pain. It’s a bit unusual for there to be swelling in the knee unless there is some wear or a meniscus tear. If your reduced range is due to a Bakers Cyst you would be aware that the restriction is behind the knee. Having 50 ml of excess fluid in the knee can restrict range of movement. If it’s pain free skiing you are probably ok to get on with it but focus on trying to stop/ reduce the swelling. Ice and compression . Then you need to get a correct diagnosis
Jonathan Bell
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i'm sure its been said before here at SnowHeads, but as its Christmas (ok - Boxing Day, but its still "the season") I would like to say Thank You to Jonathan Bell for his continued calm sensible advice to all on this forum.
And like all good docs he was "on duty" for snowheads at Christmas, with posts both here and on Help!!! Advice needed on knee injury thread.
And then there was that brilliant informative post at the start of the ACL *repair* experiences ("internal brace") thread.
Thank you Jonathan, and may your super posts continue for many years yet
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
^^^ +1
snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+2
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
+3
latest report
Guess what.... +4
ski holidays
Hear hear!
snow report
Thanks all for your advice - I'm now back from my two week's of skiing and the knee stayed fine for skiing. Biggest issue was on some chairlifts that were very low to the ground. Getting into the seat forced my knee to a right angle which was very painful but only until my skis left the ground. Whatever the problem is it seems to be getting better now, but I'll get a physio to take a look next week anyway.
snow report
@Valkyrie, can you let us know how you get on?

On the whole my knees are in a reasonable state given the state they are in but that pain on chair lifts I get all the time and I get similar pain after flying.
snow conditions
Sounds like you have some swelling and it’s limiting flexion. If you can lie down and do a straight leg raise, then it’s unlikely to be bleeding inside the joint, which is more serious than swelling outside the joint.
Ice packs in a towel applied to the joint, and a compression bandage when resting with the knee elevated above the waist will reduce swelling.
Brufen may also help.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy