Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Runs which really ought to exist somewhere

Poster: A snowHead
Our favourite resort opened several new runs this year - one of which is the wonderfully named
CHAOS
Actually it wasn't (chaos that is). The same area also has the very appropriately named FREEFALL (a seriously steep double black) and the black bumps of NO KNEES.

This inspired us to try to come up with other runs which really ought to exist somewhere:

For example....
DODGEMS, SKITTLES and BOWLING ALLEY would make perfect names for those really busy home runs back to resorts, with the odd tricky section to trap the unwary and cause sudden bottlenecks.

MILK TRAY would be nicely ambiguous - is it a gentle green, or does it imply something rether more extreme, as per the adverts?

Any more?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 3-03-06 12:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Okanagan, well, there is "Oh God" at Kleinne Scheidegg and the "Devil's Crotch" in Breckenridge (where you can also get t-shirts "I licked the Devil's Crotch")
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

really busy home runs back

The funnel. Should be one somewhere called that.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There is:
Drunken Frenchman (a mogul run, which most people stagger down)
Derailler (a long mogul run which many people wipe out on regularly)
and
Outhouse (a long, steep mogul run with big moguls, either before or after doing the run, most people take a trip to the outhouse to lay the foundations of a log cabin)
All of which are at Winter Park, and they all feed down onto a pisted run called Sleeper, which is so easy in comparison to them.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sarge wrote:

The funnel. Should be one somewhere called that.

I know of one called The Toilet Bowl.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
HARAKIRI exists in Mayrhofen, and TOILET BOWL at Apex. Copper has a nicely named bump run called SAWTOOTH.

Another fictional one - surely somewhere must have a run called KAMIKAZE?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Okanagan, KAMIKAZE exists in La plagne down to Champagny (Sp?). Another one??
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stevew wrote:
Okanagan, KAMIKAZE exists in La plagne down to Champagny (Sp?). Another one??

KAMIKAZE also exists in Les Saisies and Stoneham (Quebec) apparently.

Fernie has a run encouraging called called CONCUSSION

Well named greens - Tremblant has SISSY SHUSS, Big White has OGO SLOW and Val Cenis has L'ESCARGOT
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ski route names are boring compared to rock climbing ones. There's a selection here
(NAUGHTY WORDS ALERT!):

http://www.mnteverest.net/climb5.htm

...and loads more if you google...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There is a short black in Argentiere called (I think) La Roumasz. However, my group re-named it "the ruin your a**e" which we felt was more appropriate
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I remain amazed no one has thought of a white, snowy or slippery run yet?

rolling eyes
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Park City has Widow Maker.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Theres a run down a gully in Montgenevre that the kids in our chalet called Death Ice Valley. bit of a frozen stream at the end. the wife s**t herself but our 5yr old loved it
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What should one make of the plethora of runs called Genepy - merely that they wind around - or maybe that you should take a hip flask first to make them more interesting?

Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kaiser wrote:
I remain amazed no one has thought of a white, snowy or slippery run yet?
Big White has a run called "SNOWY" - a lot of imagination obviously went into naming that one. The same area also has "PIECE OF CAKE", which seems to have been named to catch out the unwary as it's actually tougher than it sounds.

Other good ones from across the pond: Ski Apache has a Terrain Park called "THE BONEYARD", Sunday River has a bump run called "AGONY", and Attitash has "IDIOT'S OPTION".
ski holidays
I am grudgingly impressed with our septic cousins imaginations - I wonder how the japanese term their pistes, I suspect they are fairly ludicrous?
snow conditions
How about,

"A Bit Icey With Bare Patches"

"Full Of Ski Schools"

"This Way To The Pub"

"A Lot Harder Than You Think"

they'd help a bit with route choice.
snow report
marc gledhill, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
marc gledhill, "This Way To The Pub" you got me when n where
snow report
marc gledhill, Along those lines, there used to be a run called "YOU'RE OUT OF YOUR MIND!" at the now closed Whaleback, in New Hampshire.

Another nicely descriptive transatlantic one: "NOSEDIVE" at Stowe.
ski holidays
The Run home for me is always 'Wacky Races';

I've heard a French instructor say: 'It's not really a black, it's a Michael Jackson black' Shocked

but there are also those ones called:

'You know, the one we did this morning'

'That one where you did the massive stack'

and

'That one from the left of the top of the right hand 4 man'
latest report
Looking forward to Fanny Hill next week, not so sure about Sam's Knob Shocked
ski holidays
I'd like to see the piste: FISH
WORM
MAGGOTT
Little Angel
latest report
Quote:

I've heard a French instructor say: 'It's not really a black, it's a Michael Jackson black'

Laughing Laughing Deffo one to remember
snow conditions
My brother's other half is a Miss Wooley.
At Mammoth Mountain they have a "Wooley's fun zone" which when spotted, caused much amusement.
I wonder if the 2 are related Embarassed
ski holidays
On Waterville mountain NH there's a run called Oblivion with an easy alternative called No Grit. There's also True Grit (double black) with it's alternative called Bail Out (blue). Guess which I took Embarassed
snow conditions
In Tignes, where our kids learnt to ski, there's a long blue called the Prariond which, in a dyslexic moment, we renamed the Paranoid.
For each of them, it was their first ever blue run, skied to the tune of, "Go on, you can ski this easily: if you think it's steep, it's just Paranoid".
ski holidays
jonah735, I remember that one. There is also something similar in La Plagne which was christened Giggle Gulch by the kids
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Okanagan, well, there is "Oh God" at Kleinne Scheidegg and the "Devil's Crotch" in Breckenridge (where you can also get t-shirts "I licked the Devil's Crotch")

do you know of any shops that have websites to buy "I licked the Devils Crotch" T-Shirts?
snow report
Where can you buy "I licked the Devils Crotch" in Breckenridge?
snow report
There are couple of gullies at the bottom on Envers du plan that we christened the F*** O** couloirs, don't know what they are really called.
latest report
I once saw a ranking in a magazine for Chavanette (The Swiss Wall), shown as 3 pairs of brown trousers Laughing
snow report
Some of my mates refer to one of the Couloirs off Mossettes in the PDS as "Death Couloir".

Slightly left field, there is apparently a wine shop in Beaver Creek called (as only the Americans would) "Beaver Liquors".

On which, and my apologies in advance, there's a ski shop in Praz de Lys called "Gay Sports" where, I understand, Georges Salomon first had the idea for the rear entry boot.
latest report
Here 1n Whistler we have "VD chutes" "Pakalolo" (hawaiian for ganja) "Disease ridge" and "Body bag bowl" amongst other equally 'interesting' marked run names... And, of course the Couloir Extreme (it isn't really) where, before Intrawest sanitised it, the sign used to include the sub title"Tighten your sphincter"..... Very Happy
latest report
From my days in Davos I fondly remember the "Yet Yets" a series of tree chutes above Klosters where each one was 'yet' steeper than the one before.
latest report
We tend to name favourite bits of off-piste: Carnage, Kamikaze, Annihilation spring to mind!
ski holidays
colinmcc wrote:
Here in Whistler we have "VD chutes" "Pakalolo" (hawaiian for ganja) "Disease ridge" and "Body bag bowl" amongst other equally 'interesting' marked run names...

Indeed. Pakalolo was a right bug, from blue skies to "where's my hand gone" foggy within 15 yards of the entrance. I've skied Fraggle rock and the Turkey Chutes, neither of which you'll find on the map (left off crystal and straightline then bootpack up the hill separating rock and roll from ridge runner for the first, down the top of G.S. and hard left into and out of the gully for the second, dropping into Chunky's choice).

Concussion Chutes in Fernie were fun! AT fernie there's also the double black "steep and deep"and the blue "currie powder" in "currie bowl". I *think* we tried to do "steep and deep" on the last day but one and thought" Hmm, that was quite hairy", but looking the map we worked out that we ended up in the yellow hatched section - "Extreme Hazard"!
ski holidays
Then there are the "Stupid" runs on Blackcomb - Stupid East, Stupid West and, my favourite, Way Stupid!

PS, nbt, I too am now a Fraggle Wink (thanks Paul)
snow conditions
My Daughters have named a run in La Plagne Father Christmas 'cos that's where they saw him skiing on Christmas day this year Very Happy
snow conditions
David Murdoch wrote:
Slightly left field, there is apparently a wine shop in Beaver Creek called (as only the Americans would) "Beaver Liquors".

Yup, there is a wine/beer store of that name.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy