Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort choice for a couple

Poster: A snowHead
We are planning a trip for end of January/beginning of feb and starting to get a bit swamped by all the choice! Hoping to get some advice from those with experience as this will be a first trip.
Requirements are:

Ability: I'm a decent boarder up to black runs and some off piste. Girlfriend is a beginner/intermediate and can ski some blues, though should get some practice in before going.
Off piste is not too important as it would only be myself doing the odd run. Tree lined cruisy blues would be ideal, with some more challenging terrain and snowparks nearby.

Resort atmosphere: Not too fussed about a mega party atmosphere but should have some good bars and restaurants in a good looking setting for some sightseeing. Like the sound of the Austrian
villages but have only really looked at France so far.

Accommodation: Looking on the budget side, self catered chalet/studio flat would suffice but not a total dive! Ski in ski out would be appealing but probably too expensive and a bit more remote?

Read through a lot of threads and been looking at Morzine so far but accomodation near the centre looks fairly expensive. Would further out from the centre be too much of a trek to the slopes? Also, the main attraction for Morzine is having the full PDS area but not sure we would be doing loads of kms each day. Seen some decent self catering apartments that fit the bill, but not sure if we could get better value somewhere else. Thinking of holding out and booking last minute as well based on where has the best snow conditions.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
France: Val Claret/Tignes le Lac or Les Arcs 2000-1950, amazing and varied but not cheap.
In Les Arcs 1800 you may find AirBnB and Booking.com flats
Peisey Vallandry on AirBnB - not ski in ski out but good prices and it's right between Les Arcs and La Plagne, at 1600 m.
Les Coches, https://familyski.co.uk/resorts/paradiski-les-coches/ The piste back home is red so you might want to download for her but you have a nice blue taking you to Vanoise and Les Arcs or to the whole La Plagne https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/la-plagne-paradiski/trail-map/
Les Houches, which is quite small and I have no idea re: apres ski but folks here say it's perfect for beginners https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/les-houchessaint-gervais-prarionbellevue-chamonix/trail-map/
Austria:been to Obergurgl/Hochgurgl but you can book only in hotels. Check Crystal etc. No evening life outside the hotel. Found smth on Youtube that more or less shows the area and a nice lunch pit.
http://youtube.com/v/ZX8pjNSCGnE
Solden: Always loved that area, also available on Booking/AirBnB. Your main access will probably be the Gigijoch cable, all local buses are free with a ski pass, even to Zwieselstein (which is close and cheaper) and to Obergurgl (to try another area)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 22-12-18 9:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
End of Jan better than early Feb (school holidays).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ssweeney43899, second half of January usually good for s late booking.
Outlying accommodation in Morzine can be a bit of a hilly trek to/from lifts with boots and gear.
What about Les Gets, on same circuit?
Lots of places in Austria would suit.
Late booking lets you get up to date snow condition reports and often good discounts. If flexible with travel (eg departure airport) a good approach.
snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd go for late booking too, and late January rather than early February. Your requirements shouldn't be too difficult to meet. Only possible problem with late booking is arranging lessons for your girlfriend, but it's a quiet week.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Morzine / Les Gets, Les Saisies, Megeve, Courchevel, Val Cenis, Morillon (France), Ellmau (Austria), Corvara (Italy) would all be good from the skiing point of view, with lots of easy runs for your gf, plus trees and a reasonably sized ski area so you won't get bored yourself.

Airports that you can fly into easily might narrow down your choice. Personally I think your Morzine / Les Gets idea is a particularly good one, and snow should be good everywhere at that time of year.

It's low season so as others have said, you could book late. Personally I like booking in advance though so I can plan the trip in detail and look forward to it more Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In regards to Morzine, I like the idea of being able to get to the higher area Avoriaz if needed, which has snowparks as well. Plus it seems to have a lot to do outwith ski time. Will need to look into Les Gets as havent given it much thought. You can access all these areas from Morzine if im not mistaken?

Will probably leave it for a late booking as conditions might be a big deciding factor closer to the time!

Thanks for the input, will look into some of the resorts mentioned as well.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some good pointers from previous posts there.

I'd think Les Gets easier to use for your mix of abilities as some have stated.

Les Arcs 1800 is a great "on the snow" village that has exemplary easy skiing, plus good park facilities. Also high altitude more easily available access wise from accommodation if you split up for types of terrain. It's very easy for you as an example to take just one lift over to 2000 bowl for a couple of hours and be no more than 30 mins return away from partner in 1800.
Good mix of price points for accommodation also with everything essentially having direct snow access, plus decent for self catering. I'd pick this one.

Val Cenis is also good for cost plus convenient access direct to snow for majority of accommodation. Very good wide blue slopes right from the highest altitude at 2800mtrs also. This facilitates mixed ability skiing of the whole mountain without having to split up. Good boarder-cross course there too. One of the easiest wide long green slopes from mid station back to base level as well, ideal for improving ski technique.

Morillion 1100 good choice too. Direct onto snow for all accommodation, quite compact village, decent cost, plus access to wider area of ski domain with ease.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sweeny ,42 years ago took my then girlfriend on a ski hol. At the time with a view that if she liked skiing I would ask her to marry me, needless to say she took to skiing like a duck to water and since then we have only missed one year skiing due to offspring, so having survived together so far take her to austria is my advice . over the years been to most places but austria comes out on top and we will be there again in 2019 ,twice if I can oh and weve done most french italian and swiss places over the years including those mentioned above
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks again for the suggestions really helpful! After a lot of comparison we're looking at Val Cenis now (with Les Arcs in mind), which a few people have mentioned, due to the great prices for the standard of accommodation compared to some of the others. Ski area doesn't look the biggest but tbh we will both be working on technique and not really pushing limits and from what I've seen the runs look good to me and should be some off piste if the need to explore. (The only place we've skied is Glenshee and still not bored after several weekend trips)

Any advice on transfers/accommodation would be appreciated. Looks like Grenoble to val cenis looks the best option for price and time, flying in from Glasgow.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ssweeney43899. No!!!! Trust your gut instinct and come to Austria. Flights Edinburgh to Salzburg on Jet 2 today for 2-9 Feb 19 are £77 return and it is a 45 min transfer to Flachau/Wagrain/St Johann Snow Space, which has everything you need. Great slopes for all abilities, super Apres and on slope prices at least 20% cheaper than France. I'll even give you 20% off on our self-catering apartment that week if you'd like. Check out the info on Facebook @TheRedandWhiteSkiCompany or on the Ski Amade thread here on Snow Heads.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Austrian skiing is, generally, far more romantic than France if you're going with your girlfriend.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@panaga52 That snowspace salzburg does look appealing, I really haven't looked much at Austrian resorts but prices look good with some half board/all inc as well. Only thing is, looking at the piste map it seems to be mainly red runs? (no problem for myself just for the gf) I'm seeing you get the full Amade area with the pass which looks great value as well.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ssweeney43899, definitely not Flachau for your gf. There is only 1 real blue and it is just a track that cuts across the red pistes. The top...above the achterjet lift... is steep . Wagrain or St Jo/alpendorf would be perfect
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ssweeney43899, also....transfers from salzburg about 45 mins and you can get a shared return in a minibus for about €55 per person. It's €52 to Flachau so might be a bit more to wagrain or alpendorf.

If you hire a car there are loads if suitable resorts in the amade. E.g. kleinarl/flachauwinkl...I think you can get a bus from wagrain too. Also Altenmarkt/radstadt would be perfect but you would need to drive to the pistes or get the ski bus from most accommodation
snow report
Friends just back today used the ski buses to and from Flachau to Wagrain, Kleinarl etc with no issues. Skiers at similar levels. Basing yourselves in St Johann, as holidayloverxx, says is a good option too, but It is a bus ride up to the pistes at Alpendorf from St Johann itself, so its up to you where you stay. Little nightlife in St Johann though, slightly more in Wagrain and better in Flachau. All much of a muchness.

She's right about the last runs down to Flacahu itself, but if you're going to have your Apres at somewhere like the Birkhahnalm then just jump in the Bubble and head down.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=birkhahnalm%20flachau

The Multi-Day tickets are for the whole (860KM) area but I doubt you'll get much beyond https://www.snow-space.com/en which means you can get away without a Hire Car, but if you want more then the Hochkonig is probably the best away day for your ability levels. https://www.hochkoenig.at/en/winter-holiday-salzburg/ski.html
snow report
@panaga52, agreed re apres. Keep an eye on the time though...last lift or you are stuffed for getting back down.
snow report
@panaga52, you can't get a bus from Flachau to Wagrain or Kleinarl. You can get the bus from Flachau to Flachauwinkl and ski over to Kleinarl. You can, of course, ski over from Flachau to Wagrain but the OPs gf would have to get the flying Mozart lift from the top to mid station for the glink across
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@panaga52, you can't get a bus from Flachau to Wagrain or Kleinarl. You can get the bus from Flachau to Flachauwinkl and ski over to Kleinarl. You can, of course, ski over from Flachau to Wagrain but the OPs gf would have to get the flying Mozart lift from the top to mid station for the glink across

Achterjet (Flachau) to the Rote 8er (Wagrain), See Red Box, Bus No. SFW 1. The Linea 3 to the Graffenberg if you don't want to ski over. https://www.skiamade.com/skibusplane/2018-2019/ssw/skibus_flachau-wagrain_hs.pdf and as you know there's a lovely beginners area at Rote 8er Mid-station with a nice blue ski off.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 31-12-18 15:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@panaga52, Oooh....i wonder if that's quite new I don't recall it on the timetable in previous years although I haven't looked for a while. That said you can get the Rote 8 lift down to mid station to access the blue...I spent 3 days doing laps of it wirh my beginner BiL last year. The rote 8 is quite a distance from the centre of wagrain. The bus would be useful to avoid leaving wagrain.. graffenburg side...early to get the glink back in time for the last lift down to Flachau
snow report
We drive from UK south with family in one car, so at odds with your route to Val Cenis.

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Grenoble/Val-Cenis

May help with planning. As Modane is nearest railway station and on the main rail route from France to Italy it's quite well connected. Bus from Modane to village is normal scheduled service at far as I'm aware.

Accommodation, we usually use self catering in whatever is available in Lansvillard as virtually all places have direct snow access in and out.

Val Cenis is comprised of two village centres, Lansvillard and Lanselbourg about two miles apart but with all accommodation stretching between the two and all facing onto the piste that travels from one to the other. It doesn't matter at which point you stay as you just walk out and head for the nearest lift without having to travel off the snow.

We prefer Lansvillard as it's more village centre layout is good to walk around, restaurant etc are really good.

Lanselbourg has more commercial aspect but no less convenient to set out from for the pistes. Either couldn't be easier to use.

Mountain restaurants are also good, our favourite ( it's a close run) is La Ranova, you need to arrive slighty early for lunch as they fill up quickly.

The piste numbers in absolute terms of kms may not give a spectacular headline, but there is a very extensive area to use far a week with some superb pistes and just loads of between piste areas. Its well worth a visit.

Pass cost and food are really decent value here. We are big fans of it.
snow conditions
@ssweeney43899, An area not far from Val Cenis is Valloire, which is great for beginners, and has a really charming village, with good restaurants. there are a number of difficult slopes and guided off piste. If the snow is good you'll have enough to do for a week. We went last Xmas and would go back in a heartbeat.
snow conditions
Liking the ski in/ski out options of the french resorts, plus how well linked they are. Noticing that the transfers seem expensive though, especially from grenoble or geneva. I take it people must hire cars instead of a bus etc?

For the Austrian resorts, do the ski areas in those Amade resorts all require bus transfers to the lifts or are there ski in/out options? Like the look of the lift systems, seem very state of the art.

@pasigal Thanks, that area looks good as well, nice mix of runs. Decent deals coming up as well.
ski holidays
@ssweeney43899, nearly everywhere has ski in ski out. The villages I mentioned are 2 in 1....one side of the mountain is one village the other side is another one. You can get from Flachau right across wagrain and alpendorf on skis. The ski in ski oit in Flachau really isnt needed...e.g. my place is 300 yards from the achterjet and the same for the bus to flachauwinkl and zauchensee...it is free, very regular and takes about 10 mintues. If you really really want ski in ski out the prices will be higher but you can actually stay up the mountain if you want but would then be isolated in the evenings.
ski holidays
@ssweeney43899, if you tell us the accomodation you are looking at we can advise on location and walkability.
snow report
@drporat, No idea what makes you think you can only book hotels in Obergurgl. Also no idea why you chose to advise the OP of this. Plenty of self-catered accommodation is available (the ski resort website is a good place to start).
snow conditions
ski for fun,

Your marriage proposal was subject to the (potential) Mrs liking skiing.

That's my boy! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
@zikomo, Obergurgl was one of my recommendations.
Not the first/only one, I don't get it why you chose to attack me on this.
After choosing to get there more than an year ago, I tried to find different accommodations on a regular budget, as close to the piste area as possible.
I hate walking up with the skis in the morning. Beside the hotels I didn't find anything. When I was there I also tried to find other options nearby the pistes, with no luck.
Glad to hear you know better. Since I plan to return, please do advise.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy