Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Boot Flex

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
.a.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 9-04-23 7:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not pro but at your height/weight 100kg is possibly a little low, however remember that they're gonna be more flexible at home than on a mountain by virtue of being that much warmer.

Where did you get them fitted?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm not that expert either but my new boots are 130 flex and i'm 175cm and about 83kg i know they'll be fine for me as i got mine from (cem) you don't get to choose colin just says this is what you need end of!! with your stats they do seem a bit on the soft side .
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@MitchDoo,

At your proportions they do seem a little lacking in flex rating HOWEVER, these numbers can be very misleading as one make AND model of 100 could be as stiff as another make AND model of 120!

I think though you have a very reasonable question to ask, 'Umm, excuse me, why 100 flex for somebody of my size?'

Even the best can sometimes not hit the mark...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If your boots feel so bad that you "daren't" even try them indoors, then they probably don't fit very well. Enough movement that the plastic is catching does sound excessive but hard to visualise. I would suggest in the first instance, try taking them back to where-ever you got them from and explaining your concerns.

Most of the recreational skiiers I know have a flex considerably in excess of their bodyweight unless they're either beginners (ploughers) or very heavy (recreational boots only really go up to about a 130 flex).

Depending on where you're based, there are several excellent bootfitters that people here will recommend - although a lot of the really good ones work on an appointment-only system. Personally, (like @andseven,) I have used Solutions 4 Feet in Bicester and they were well worth the nearly 180mile round trip from Leicestershire.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@MitchDoo, as others have said 100 sounds very soft for your body weight, whilst flex ratings are not consistent across the brands they are a ball park guide, often shops pigeon hole customers and boots by pure ability, some believing that 100 flex or more is for very advanced skiers, considerations need to be skier level, body weight and level length (leg length) whatver the boot in 100 flex i would guess that head make it in a stiffer flex as well, it is certainly worth a conversation with the store
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@CEM i wish boot manufacturers would agree a standard for flex rating, it would certainly make things easier!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@MitchDoo, welcome to snowHead 's. Whilst recognising CEM's input above and his recommendation for considering biomechanics as well as ability - according to Head's own website a flex rating of 100 would typically be suitable for someone at the upper end of the intermediate/advanced ski ability rating.

https://www.head.com/en-GB/service/sizecharts/ski-boots/

@CEM, are there any published boot manufacturers tables that take into account all the variables that you mention so we can get a better idea of the flex rating we should be looking for?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Ray Zorro, and their chart is i am afraid to say a load of utter Bollox, it does not differentiate between a 100kg intermediate and a 50kg expert

there is no published chart to take all the required factors into account
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nope, when I wanted a freeride/touring boot I tried the Lange 120 which was meant to be quite technical, I could flex it like it was made out of paper and I am only 75kg, yet the less technical on paper Salomon Quest 110 gave my particular foot much more resistance. I bought those but then sold them soon after as they were too soft for me and on fat skis gave me little edge support when venturing onto a piste. The Salomon Max version though has been an amazing boot for me both on and off piste.

There is nothing like having a skilled fitter with a range of boots and spending some time working to find the best match.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CEM wrote:
@Ray Zorro, and their chart is i am afraid to say a load of utter Bollox, it does not differentiate between a 100kg intermediate and a 50kg expert

Under the chart it says 'More powerful and heavier skiers should use a ski boot with a higher flex index'.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy