Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Touring scruples / etiquette or just a grumpy old man?

Poster: A snowHead
Today we awoke to unbroken sunshine and I was quite surprised when OH suggested a tour, as opposed to taking lifts and maybe some slack country, and like me, she too was thinking that the dogs needed some exercise.

We headed up towards the Galibier sector where there are numerous routes, but at this time of year all the North facing slopes (Combeynot / Laurichard) are in shade, and whilst powder would be better, light would be flatter and no trees to help viz etc

I was half thinking about the Galibier but I also wanted a route that already had an obvious skin track which would help the dogs, and me Toofy Grin

So just past Rif Blanc tunnel, I saw one car had parked up and there was a ski track, so as OH had never done this route before (Pointe de la Tête Noire), though I was not expecting to go to the summit, I decided it was the best option.

I had also clocked a very large group heading up towards one of our favourite areas Trois Evaches but thought no more about it.

The skin track was fresh and only two people ahead so all looked promising.

As we were climbing up I did notice a very strange route traversing across the slope towards where we were heading from another parking area and again thought no more about it.

The first 250 of the climb is quite steep and the other skin track joined ours and I was horrified to see it was a very large group indeed, as we arrived on to a small plateau I could see probably twenty or so ski tourers ahead of us!

You simply never expect to see so many.

As we climbed further we came across a group of eight or so having a break and as etiquette dictates plus the dogs are always a conversation starter we had a chat, and turned out they were from Grenoble, all retirees, and we all joked about that.

We said our goodbyes and I could then see another group further up the mountain getting into transition for the descent which was ok as they would not be taking our line, but what looked like the ski tour route up which is not the best option.

Then more of a climb and a plateau and there was another group of around 12 having lunch, what the feck was happening!

Again another conversation and they too were part of the same group from Grenoble, and were getting ready to descend from the looks of things, now if they had only gone 50m more they would have had some way better options but I was not about to tell them that, or should I have?

We carried on making sure we were not being followed which has been the case before, and then I switched direction traversing till I was sure we were on our own and I could relax a bit, though I was still a bit stressed in case they might decide to follow, but hey we're Anglais and what would we know Smile

So as you can see we scored some superb conditions and then I was gobsmacked to see them, many of them skiing like complete numpties and totally the wrong line in terms of snowpack and through the plethora of rocks (though one shark did get me you'll hear it on the vid), they could not have chosen the worst snow.

And then even when a few of them found powder they could not really ski it!

I know everyone has to learn how to ski powder but was this the best place etc etc though chapeau to many as they had a a good few years on me and the OH !

We carried on down more or less skiing straight to the van whilst they were all traversing back across to where they had started from.

After we'd packed the gear up we headed up to Fred's at the Lautaret for a drink and en route there were similar groups descending down all the main routes.

It turned out there were two coach loads from Grenoble nigh on sixty ski tourers and had they trashed some of the lines by traversing across rather than skiing the fall line.

So Fred was the same as me, lots of rolling eyes and shrugging shoulders not that he was worrying as he was going to do a lot of drinks and food.

But can't help but think it was a not quite cricket with that many people heading to the same place, for sure a weekend can be busy but I've never ever seen it like that.

There again as we proved there was still plenty to ski and we had untracked all the way but that was more to do with the fact that they had no idea as to how to read the terrain?

And again, should I be as bothered as I was, for hopefully we'll have another snowfall tonight/tomorow and all their tracks will be covered by Thursday.

http://youtube.com/v/M7gqNA5gUS8
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Look on the bright side - a bit of skier compaction (or at least mixing up the layers) in the early season snowpack Wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Arno, that's the same ski tour I took your mate Costin on a few weeks back, but then we were skiing Spring snow.

Thinking about it a little more, there's an element of surf "secret spot" territorial mentality I'm obviously suffering from rolling eyes

That said I have had more than a couple of lectures from guides about not publicising routes etc
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
At least they are up your way and not trashing stuff around Grenoble, which they usually do.

Most of them have probably never piste skied in their lives and never done a lesson. The French have no idea about things such as "powder farming" and "spatial variability" and are always gobsmacked to see anglo saxons skiing tight lines on powder fields. Retiree are the worst as they've "paid in all their lives" and have a big sense of entitlement.

and on an ever brighter note, they didn't steal your lines or trigger an avalanche on your heads.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 18-12-18 18:44; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Grumpy old man..........
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Weathercam, sounds like you got a bit unlucky. That said, it’s super easy access there and some of it (IIRC) is pretty mellow so not surprising if you get a few gapers on a sunny day
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@davidof, I actually think the social side for them, as opposed to the skiing (well at least trying to), is more important.

And as for even getting close to stealing my line Cool

Red wine open now, so best to avoid keyboard Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah you've been CAFGOed !

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@davidof, Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BTW Gavin its the Pic des Trois Evêchés (as in the Summit of the three Eveques), no cows (vaches) involved, here is the north side in July when I skied it in 2007

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not bad for July Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
KenX wrote:
Not bad for July Very Happy

Not shabby at all, unlikely that its been skied so late since, at least not with those conditions but it does hold its snow very late in the season.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@davidof, well at least you can tell I was not telling porkie pies / prone to exaggeration etc

Mind you the second coach is not in the picture Laughing

Is that pic down to Valfroide (which I've done) / Lac de Golleon or Vallon de Fond which we did on the same tour ?

https://www.strava.com/activities/1415789594
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam wrote:
... Thinking about it a little more, there's an element of surf "secret spot" territorial mentality I'm obviously suffering from rolling eyes ...

That's the worst part of surfing, in my view.

To me the Alps has always been busy - etiquette doesn't really seem to come into it, with guided parties stomping on your ropes and kicking rocks down...
I'm sure more and more people will be out - the whole "touring" thing seems much larger than it ever was. I think it's not going to get better, rather like crowded waves...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Weathercam wrote:
@davidof, well at least you can tell I was not telling porkie pies / prone to exaggeration etc

Mind you the second coach is not in the picture Laughing

Is that pic down to Valfroide (which I've done) / Lac de Golleon or Vallon de Fond which we did on the same tour ?

https://www.strava.com/activities/1415789594

No not at all, people much younger than you complaining about the "vieux cons" on the Lauteret in the bars of Grenoble tonight.

Yes that's the Vallon de Fond. The main thing against it is it is a bit of a pain to access at the end of the season.
snow report
Did you tell them about Siberia?
latest report
@adithorp, no, nor the 20 odd days touring this season so far Cool

Meanwhile hope you're getting your Shifts sorted and practising your kick turns in your kitchen, maybe you'd like to come out with me one day when you're out on the Off Piste Bash Laughing

@davidof, they all seemed to be enjoying themselves and at their various ages, there is an element of Chapeau, but I'm surprised that CAF Grenoble ( ? ) condone such an activity en masse like that?

CAF Briancon, limit to 5, mind you there's nowhere near the number of members,

Aaaah just looked at CAFGO post on skitour.fr over a 100 ski tourers!
ski holidays
Perspective counts for a lot
On the mountain.
Sensational journeys
Have to be made

To be fair,
What are people going to do,
At this
Time of year.
snow report
@Weathercam, that looked fab (and your missus skis great) but put those poor short legged canines in/on your pack for Christs sake!
ski holidays
adithorp wrote:
Did you tell them about Siberia?

did he get over to Siberia in the end? he kept that a bit quiet.
latest report
I just say to muself, “its a big mountain, room for everyone”.
Helps, even if sometimes its not strictly true.
ski holidays
@davidof,

Here you go-

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=138017
snow report
@Tom Doc, I suspect @davidof, was being a tad sarcastic Laughing

Anyway hopefully by tomorrow, like a bad nightmare, it will all be forgotten with the new snowfall that's forecast.

And @BobinCH, hope you clocked my "shark attack" at 2:06 in the video Very Happy
ski holidays
@Weathercam, sorry I couldn't resist especially as I expected @KenX, to say it and he didn't rolling eyes

Disappointing as I'm sure it was, not to have the mountain to yourself, at least it was eventful. Given a few retellings, it'll turn into a great and memorable story and as such it won't have been such a bad day.
latest report
@adithorp, I know, missed a trick there Laughing
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
@Tom Doc, I suspect @davidof, was being a tad sarcastic Laughing

not at all, you announced the trip then I didn't see anything on Strava, did you post your trips? There was something around a village by a road but that was all I saw.
snow conditions
@adithorp, in hindsight and like I say it will be a nightmare that will go away but was very amusing to see, and like you say will be a story to tell over a few beers.

Has been trying to snow already this morning, so hopefully this time tomorrow will be no trace of them.

Now all @KenX, and I have to do is plan how to avoid the next bunch of numpties (that we know of) coming into our little paradise, around March 9th next year Laughing

@davidof, was all on Strava though missed one day and here is the final write up and vids that was in the Siberian thread.

https://www.stylealtitude.com/skiing-in-siberia-luzhba-skitouring-lodge-skitour-feature.html
snow report
@Weathercam,

Bit tangential but we are getting a puppy (very excited!)

I think I am right in saying that dogs are banned from French nature reserves. Am I right?

BTW - looks like a good day out despite the crowd. I tend to agree with you that turning up for a ski tour with two coach loads is rather against the spirit of the whole thing but I think you just have to shrug, don't you. The whole point is that everyone is free to enjoy the mountains.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jedster, what sort of beast?

And yes interdit Nature Reserves and National Parks.

As for training, getting dog to be with you and no hassle off the lead etc.

With all our dogs we've always played hide n'seek - soon as they take no notice of you and do their own thing, we'd hide, and subsequently, they'd get paranoid of not being with you.

Very easy to do when the daily walk was along the promenade away from the road and beach huts to hide behind, maybe not so easy in other environments Smile
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:

@davidof, was all on Strava though missed one day and here is the final write up and vids that was in the Siberian thread.

https://www.stylealtitude.com/skiing-in-siberia-luzhba-skitouring-lodge-skitour-feature.html

ah good, I'll have a read later on, as it's pissing down I'll be staying in the warm.
snow report
@jedster, got to agree hiding is the best way to get the dog to keep tabs on where you are at all times. The other thing I'd say is get it off the lead at the earliest chance. The first couple of times out it's a big scary world for a pup and it'll stick close naturally and you can reinforce that with rewards. If you wait then it'll be bolder and curiosity takes hold.

@Weathercam, if a bit of snow is enough to erase there tracks they can't have been that bad. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the holes one particular numptie left last march are still there now wink
snow report
Is it time now to talk about Froggie etiquette generally. Group of us skiing an off piste line on the EOSB. Line clises out to a narrow drop in through rocks so naturally we pause to let party members go in one at a time. French family of 3 ignores the queue barges past us and aggressively takes it. Well dad and kid do. Mum struggles considerably while I roundly heckle from above about being so good she didn't need to wait for the Anglais. She looks rather sheepish as she eventually gets out of there.
snow conditions
@Weathercam,
People in glass houses, you crossed your Mrs tracks a few times whereas your Mrs did a very good job of following your tracks and farming the snow properly. Very Happy
snow report
Weathercam wrote:

Meanwhile hope you're getting your Shifts sorted and practising your kick turns in your kitchen, maybe you'd like to come out with me one day when you're out on the Off Piste Bash Laughing

Is that an offer of tuition? We might need to organise a coach to transport all the snowHead needing to test out their new toys for the first time, that'd be ok wouldn't it? Laughing
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

ah good, I'll have a read later on, as it's pissing down I'll be staying in the warm.

Interesting. Per was pretty sneaky losing his passport like that wink
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:

Completely missed that untill Ian posted it. I would try that but fear my dogs would die laughing... as long as I didn't decapitate them first.

As for the invite, I'd love to but suspect you don't appreciate just how crap I am at this skiing lark and the risk of succumbing to the same fate as the dogs
wink
snow conditions
@adithorp, my dogs are now very canny when I'm kick turning and hang well back away from my skis Toofy Grin
snow report
@Weathercam, @adithorp,
thanks for the tips. The head of the Les Contamines valley is a nature reserve which si why I was asking - more of an issue for summer than winter and there is good hiking over in the Beaufortain so its all manageable.

We haven't yet secured our dog - we're on the list with three breeders, two litters have arrived so we are in discussion. We are a bit of an allergic household so we are going for a poodle cross. Top of the list is an Irish Doodle but may be a Golden Doodle. Family has been lobbying for a dog for a little while and I've been trying to be the sensible voice given the amount of time we spend in the Alps, pretty busy home etc. but having buckled I think I'm more excited than anyone Embarassed
snow report
@jedster, there's only a small percentage of doodles that don't shed so there's no guarantee that they're anti-allergenic.
ski holidays
Quote:

@jedster, there's only a small percentage of doodles that don't shed so there's no guarantee that they're anti-allergenic.

yes we know but most shed less than, say, golden retrievers and irish setters judging by friends houses!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy