Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes, some general questions

Poster: A snowHead
Going to Tignes for a week in late January, our first time there, maybe someone can help with these questions. (We are stating in Hotel Village Montana)

1. What's the drive up like ? Does the road get cleaned quick if it's snowy?
2. Where is good for lunch on the mountain during the day? And what's a good bar for an apres drink?
3. What's a good area for intermediate off piste action (snowboarding)? Also I've been reading the pistes get crowded, any areas that have less people?

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’ve driven up there quite a few times. Obviously depends how heavy the snow is falling, if at all. Last year it snowed heavily on the way up so road was snow covered. Had no problems though on the All Season tyres. You need chains as well, not sure if you were aware of that?
You driving from UK? One hit? Done that a few times but stopping overnight this time close to Troyes.
Traffic can get really heavy around the tunnel system depending on time/day of travel. What day and time are you going?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Driving from Barcelona, I also have all season tires, 8 hour drive so should arrive 17:30 ish
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For apres it HAS to be the new Cocorico!! It's a big terrace with live bands.

It's in Val Claret, next to the Lanches chair near the half pipe.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mrvinegar wrote:
Going to Tignes for a week in late January, our first time there, maybe someone can help with these questions. (We are stating in Hotel Village Montana)

2. Where is good for lunch on the mountain during the day? And what's a good bar for an apres drink?
3. What's a good area for intermediate off piste action (snowboarding)? Also I've been reading the pistes get crowded, any areas that have less people?

Thanks!

Also, worth looking at this thread too - a couple of Tignes residents and a lot of regular vistors post there https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3321849#3321849
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mrvinegar wrote:

Thanks!

1. Yes it gets cleared but avoid Saturday mornings to miss the worst of the traffic. The snowfall can overwhelm the clearance efforts, especially if the road is full of traffic that cannot move. Make sure you take chains or have winter tyres.
2. The only place on the mountain that I don't like it the restaurant 3/4 way down Palafour. Everywhere else is good, but expect mountain prices. Apres is very 'Marmite' but the new Cocorico at Val Claret will appeal to most ages and tastes.
3. If you don't know the area, take a guide. People are killed in Espace Killy every year. There is so much easy access to vast amounts of off piste and some of it is never very safe, some of it is very safe and very enjoyable. Be shown where you can safely go. Pistes are only crowded in very high season and never as crowded as places like La Plagne. With 300km of pistes, it's not possible to just list ones to avoid, as time of day is often important.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@bar shaker, the self service on Piste Henri is not very good either. Otherwise can;t think if anywhere else that is poor (never been to the one on Palafour)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have no idea re: the new Cocorico in Val Claret, at the PSB they were still working in the area, but you have La Folie Douce down from Bellevarde in the area that connects Tignes to Val d'Isere.
Near the new Cocorico you have La Taverne de Neige. Not particular cheap but warm and tasty. In the last 2 years this was our spot to end the day, the kitchen is open till late evening

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Make sure you take chains or have winter tyres

You need chains AND winter tyres or if it's very snowy police might not let you up the road.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mrvinegar wrote:

Thanks!

1.If it is snowy, the main road will be cleared of snow, that does not mean it will be black, so chains as an absolute minimum and know how to use them. The road up to the Montana will be white in all likelihood.
2. Give us a price range for lunch and what do you mean by Apres, a quiet bar to discuss the days exploits or a tub thumping emporium. No cheesy Austrian umpah in Tignes.
3. You can read about where people have been on here, but no one should be recommending off piste areas on a forum, today there were lots of intermediate areas that were benign, they could be killers the day you arrive, as bar shaker says hire an off piste instructor (a mountain guide would be an unnecessary expense for intermediate and they are not allowed to teach). There are links at the start of the Tignes thread.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the advice!

In the end we got stiffed by the booking agent and that hotel wasn't available, so now we are going to Val Thorens, but Tignes will be the year after!

@chocksaway re off piste, I asked because in Grandvalira, where I go a lot, they have a "safe off piste" map, you're right such things should be explored with an instructor
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The last ime I drove upto Tignes, Easter 2018, the road was terribly pot holed. Big holes that you spent most of the time driving around. It was like driving around Monrovia.

During heavy storms the road will be snow covered and you may need to put chains on and occaisionally previous accidents block the road for hours at a time. Be patient and you will be fine.

The police may demand that you put chains on but winter tyres are not compulsory
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Afternoon mr v. The mountain road drive up to Val T is slightly longer the one up to Tignes - so the same advice applies re snow tyres and snow chains. I have found that new snow tyres with lots of tread (ie as supplied on hire cars from Geneva Airport) usually work fine in all but the worst of conditions. In dozens of drives up to Tignes and Val T we have needed chains for the climb up only once and ditto for the descent - despite some pretty heavy snowfalls.

You'd be unlucky if roads were snow covered below 1500m or so - but snow down to valley towns like Moutiers or Bourg St Maurice can never be ruled out wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have been stopped twice by Police on the side of the road and told to put chains on. When I have explained that I 4x4 and snow tyres, I have been waived through.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I’ll be there, staying in the same chalet if you wanted to meet up to say hello Smile

I’ve stayed in Montana for 4 years now - 2019 is the first time I’ll be there catered, and not having the entire chalet (apartment) to our family. Though this is a trip with friends.

Off piste, the lost valley - not sure how it’s be on a board but with decent snow cover it’s a fun run, and breaks out into trees which is more picturesque compared to the high pistes.

Not far from the Montana residence is the loop bar - live music if that’s your thing. The food there is really good too.

Galette place just up from it is good too.

On the mountain there’s a small restaurants which are all practically the same. The one mentioned near the palafour - same bar chap is always there whenever I’ve popped in for a beer and toilet stop... always a grump. Smile

La folie douce is worth a visit - even just to observe the mess / aftermath.
snow conditions
We're in the Montana till Saturday morning. At the moment (8pm CET Thursday) the road up from the main road/Intersport to the apartments has about an inch of packed snow on it. I doubt it's passible on summer tyres. Forecast seems to be for light snow Friday night and Saturday, so doubt it'll get any better in the short term, although it does look like it's going to get warmer.

Haven't been near the main road up from the Dam today, but if you can get up from the Dam to Le Lac, then one tip I have is to go into the parking behind the bus station to fit chains. You get 2 hours free, which is plenty of time to fit the chains, and it's lit, undercover, basically dry and a good few degrees warmer than outside.

I dunno what parking you're in, but, if I were you I would stop and park up in the snowy layby just up from the Spar shop in-front of the Granier building (or next to the poubles), and then walk up to the main hotel bit to check in. If you drive all the way up to the hotel, and they tell you your parking is under the Granier, then you'll have to do a complete loop of the Les Almes roads back down to the main road, and then back up past the Spar again coz they're all in a one way system.

If you fancy a blow out meal on mountain one day, go for the "Gateau d'Agneau" in the Lo Soli main resturant (top of Chaudannes lift, and an easy-ish red home afterwards). Not cheap, but *THE* best meal I've had in these parts for years and years. You won't need an evening meal.
snow conditions
One of the best meals I've had in France was at the 3 capucines in tignes. They make their own cheese and have their own cows. Orsum! Loop bar is great fun and jam bar is cool too. Grizzly bar is nice on a sunny ARVO with a Belgian beer sitting outside. Oh wait you're going Val T so follie deuce for you.
snow conditions
The Loop burgers are legendary for lunch, but a little known secret (except amongst seasonaires) is the noodle bar next door, Tignes Cuisine. Simply amazing flavours and cheaper than chips. My mate Ryan is the chef.
snow report
Haven't folk realised he's now going to Val Thorens? Puzzled wink
ski holidays
@Bergmeister, you think people read a whole thread? Laughing
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:

well, I'm gonna go the year after so no harm!
snow report
bar shaker wrote:
The Loop burgers are legendary for lunch, but a little known secret (except amongst seasonaires) is the noodle bar next door, Tignes Cuisine. Simply amazing flavours and cheaper than chips. My mate Ryan is the chef.

Oh sweet, I'll give that a try when I'm there!
snow conditions
Bergmeister wrote:
Haven't folk realised he's now going to Val Thorens? Puzzled wink

d'oh, I was scrolling up and down on my phone and pissed that post! Embarassed At least some more waffle will be there for others to (not) search for! Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:

When has the OP veering off ever changed the direction of a thread? snowHead
ski holidays
@bar shaker, snowHead Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy