Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What Guides are most likely to say to their clients?

Poster: A snowHead
Is one of the questions we put to some guides that we've skied and snowboarded with over the past twenty or so years.

From Joe Vallone through to Brit Martin Chester.

Along with other questions such as "What's the most unusual item of kit in your backpack?" to the more obvious "What's your 2019 touring setup" along with "What scares you?"

And a number of other questions, which with the various responses, some quite humorous, all make for a really good read.

Enjoy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where you taking me for lunch is what they normally ask back?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is a really cool article, thanks!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Did you learn in Scotland? Looks like it.

Even better, from a Scottish instructor, “Scottish-Norwegian, 1974?” (He was correct)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Weathercam, JV "What scares you?"...not being scared Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
great article, thanks
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
" how would you like to pay ? "
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ZombieSi wrote:

More usual is "I only accept cash"
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mosha Marc wrote:
ZombieSi wrote:

2000 CHF... each !

http://youtube.com/v/0YhsZvfMo6s
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mosha Marc wrote:
ZombieSi wrote:

yes of course.... and I note I left out the obligatory "my friend", as used in every other sentence when there's a prospect of repeat business rolling eyes

it was an interesting read tho'
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Why is skiing with a guide like having sex with a condom?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

go on then, I'll bite
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Because it's safer with but more fun without.

Courtesy of Manu Gaidet.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Because it's safer with but more fun without.

Courtesy of Manu Gaidet.

although skiing with a French guide isn't exactly that safe (although I don't believe Weathercam skis with French guides)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good article.
snow conditions
Because it's safer with but more fun without. Courtesy of Manu Gaidet.

Very good

davidof wrote:
....although skiing with a French guide isn't exactly that safe (although I don't believe Weathercam skis with French guides)

Over the years I've skied with a fair number of French guides and no real horror stories, but mates who have rocked up in Chamonix and booked an available guide have had many an experience Shocked

I actually did ask Mathieu Maynadier, a guide I know a number of Snowheads have skied with, and he's very much like Marmite, though I like skiing with him. But he never came back, which is strange as we do "engage" on Social Media, maybe the email was lost in translation.

Funny enough yesterday I failed to recognise Per as he shouted out my name, and not exactly many people about.

He was "guiding" a 75 year old American, not a bad gig for the week at his rates - though he has not worked all the Summer after losing a finger after an accident on a boat in Lyngen last May!

Off out up the Galibier this morning sans guide Cool
snow report
If it fails, you're f******
latest report

I would say skiing with a guide is more like sex with a good prostitute, you pay for it but you get to do things you never thought that you could with your wife Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@tangowaggon, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

@tangowaggon,

tee hee
ski holidays
@tangowaggon, Laughing

Though not too sure what my OH's take would be as she likes skiing too with guides rolling eyes

And Per, featured in the article is extremely good looking evidently, and over the years I've seen members of the opposite sex reduced to swooning teenagers Laughing
latest report
jedster wrote:
great article, thanks

+1
latest report
@Weathercam, thanks, enjoyed that.
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
Is one of the questions we put to some guides that we've skied and snowboarded with over the past twenty or so years.

From Joe Vallone through to Brit Martin Chester.

Along with other questions such as "What's the most unusual item of kit in your backpack?" to the more obvious "What's your 2019 touring setup" along with "What scares you?"

And a number of other questions, which with the various responses, some quite humorous, all make for a really good read.

Enjoy

Good read, thanks! Nice to see a few familiar faces.

Poor Pelle! Any more info on what happened?
snow report
recz wrote:

Poor Pelle! Any more info on what happened?

Lucky it was his finger, although I've heard they can do wonderful things now with plastic surgery.
snow report
Enjoyed that! Nice work
snow conditions
@recz, it was Per and not Pelle Lange (skiers lodge) - though he too has promised his contribution.

As for the finger, twas indeed a horrific accident.

The anchor chain on the boat was being pulled back in by an electric winch in force 6-7 with a big sea running.

Per was stabilising the chain and the winch broke off its fixings and came down and smashed his finger.

They eventually got him to Tromso hospital and then on to Grenoble and tried to save the finger over the course of the next month, but eventually, he had to make the decisions as to where to lose it, so he chose above the knuckle.

He could not work in the summer climbing for obvious reasons though he did do a bit in the autumn.

Now it's the cold that affects the digit though many a mountaineer has lost fingers and toes, and I'm sure this time next year he'll hardly notice it.

Ironically Per and I were in Fred's (Café de la ferme) at the Lautaret in the summer after a hike and Per was recounting the story to Fred, who then showed that his hand was missing a finger, due to frostbite on the Pelvoux ten years prior!
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:

Ironically Per and I were in Fred's (Café de la ferme) at the Lautaret in the summer after a hike and Per was recounting the story to Fred, who then showed that his hand was missing a finger, due to frostbite on the Pelvoux ten years prior!

omg sounds like Capn' Rum

http://youtube.com/v/_EfW9znJYjw
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Over the years I've skied with a fair number of French guides and no real horror stories, but mates who have rocked up in Chamonix and booked an available guide have had many an experience Shocked

This is slightly disconcerting as somebody planning on rocking up to Chamonix and booking an available guide in January! Does anybody have any recommendations?
ski holidays
@skiing_snerrick, what sort of skiing are you after, is it just you or a group, and for how long?

Just that if it was a group of you and for a week you could see if Kris is available (featured in the article) or he might be able to recommend another guide. His day rate is more than the typical Frenchie, but you do get what you pay for.
ski holidays
@Weathercam It will probably be just the one day for monetary reasons tbh, but you never know. There's three of us - all competent off piste skiers - hoping to get a guide for the Valle Blanche. This will be our first off-piste guide, so we don't want it to be tarnished by a bad experience! Thanks for your help.
ski holidays
@skiing_snerrick,

I'd say that the VB is a stroll in the park for a UIAGM guide - you should be fine. Just remember to stay behind the guide at all times unless he specifically tells you different!
Whether the VB is a good idea in January depends on early season snow fall. So far so good.
ski holidays
@skiing_snerrick, Kenny Grant, BMG/UIAGM guide, is a top fella on skis, and I have worked with him on winter mountain courses in the past.
ski holidays
@Weathercam, great article, thanks.
snow report
skiing_snerrick wrote:
Quote:

This is slightly disconcerting as somebody planning on rocking up to Chamonix and booking an available guide in January! Does anybody have any recommendations?

I have skied with guides many a time in Chamonix. The experience with French guides has been variable. I learned many years ago not to call an agency and for them to "find someone" rewarding. If you do that i don't think it matters whether they are French or UK you'll get whoever isn't booked up that day. There are, however, many "UK guides" but they tend to get booked up in advance. Richard Mansfield would look after you extremely well and if he is busy put you in touch with a colleague.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy