Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3 weeks somewhere

Poster: A snowHead
Have the opportunity to do 3 weeks somewhere - my first impulse is Chamonix cause I love there but at same time keep returning over and over and perhaps would be cool to get know another cool place!

Apart from Chamonix, have Been to Les Menuires, Zell am See, Folgarida and Hintertux so far. Innsbruck booked for NY.

I would prefer somewhere with a nice village and if possible an easier ski access as well.

Any suggestion?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are you planning on taking a car or other transport?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What level of skier(s) are you, what sort of terrain do you like skiing?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ski3 wrote:
Are you planning on taking a car or other transport?

Open to drive if its best
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DB wrote:
What level of skier(s) are you, what sort of terrain do you like skiing?

I'm upper intermediate my OH early intermediate
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Gustavobs, what type of skiing do you like? Mainly piste? Mainly off piste? Ski touring etc? As Ski3 says, will you have a car? What time of year are you going? Can you afford to pay 3x the cost of your normal 1 week costs or do you need something that is better value than that?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rambotion wrote:
@Gustavobs, what type of skiing do you like? Mainly piste? Mainly off piste? Ski touring etc? As Ski3 says, will you have a car? What time of year are you going? Can you afford to pay 3x the cost of your normal 1 week costs or do you need something that is better value than that?

Mainly piste skiing - ideally challenging pistes, not for OH though. So need a bit of a mix.

This is for March and can drive if needed.

Money wise, not looking to 3x weeks cost - more like an Airbnb apartment or small cabin.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you have a car then accommodation outside the resorts is possible and cheaper (providing you are not Apres ski party animals and so need to be in the resort).
For 3 weeks I'd go down the multi-resort route with a ski pass that covers a large area and many resorts.
e.g.
https://www.superskicard.com/en

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 14-12-18 11:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Given that you've banked a fair chunk of Chamonix experience, and Hintertux coming up.

I'd go for a complete contrast and possibly somewhere you've not explored. But best achieved with a car.

Sainte Foy as a ski into and out of village with a really relaxed atmosphere and great skiing. It'll not stand up to "raw numbers" scrutiny if you hold it against the big kms resorts, but has a genuinely varied and individual feel of its own.
The car aspect, it's next door to La Rosiere, across the road from Les Arcs (15 mins to Villaroger) and about 20 minutes from Tignes ski area. Will allow you a really good tour of the upper end of the Tarantaise valley ski domains. A day out to each spread over the three weeks will give a very good look at the others but still have immediate access onto local piste for easy days skiing.
There's just so much to ski between these four, you'd be centrally based and with reasonable weekly ski pass costs.

Another car based area with great variety is Val Cenis. Possibly more chance of good accommodation cost in either Lansvillard or Lanselbourg parts of the village. Again right on the snow to walk out and ski, along with another four related ski domains close by in the upper Maurienne valley. Ski pass prices are decent here too with one pass covering all of the areas surrounding. Decent food cost too with some excellent restaurants on and off mountain. As above, it has a subtlety that may not come across in straight numbers but certainly a very relaxed feel to it with some great skiing for mixed ability.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Gustavobs,
If you fancy Austria, there are a couple of huge regional passes that aren't that expensive.
You can move around between areas easily. What time of year will it be?

https://www.salzburgsuperskicard.com
https://www.skiwelt.at/en/tirol-snow-card.html
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Gustavobs, 1 week 3V, 1 week Tignes/ Val, and 1 week Verbier in that order easy and getting more challenging. Fly in/ out GVA and hire a car from the French side but make sure its got winter tyres. For nice village access stay in Brides Les Bains, Tignes Le Brevieres or old Ste Foy not new, and Bruson.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Fly in/ out GVA and hire a car from the French side but make sure its got winter tyres

they mostly don't. And it's by no means always cheaper. I'd go to one area for 3 weeks and find a good season pass deal (might be too late for that, now). Maybe Evasion Mont Blanc and stay in St Gervais.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Espace Killy also has more than enough skiing for 3 weeks. And a 3 week deal for accommodation for the last three March weeks (after French holidays) could be a lot cheaper than 3 separate ones.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't know how much a season pass is for Serre Che but it gives you skiing in Les 2 Alpes and Puy St Vincent, Some really attractive villages and the La Grave over the hill if you want a day of off piste..
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Get the Superski Dolomiti pass and go explore the Dolomites. You will find yourself in intermediate heaven. More than enough for 3 weeks.

Selva Corvara or Arabba are all good bases. Make sure you see the war museum at the top of the middle cable car on the Marmolada.
ski holidays
@Gustavobs, +1 for the Austria Superski pass area. Some of the less well know areas are fantastic and there has been some serious investment in infrastructure throughout the region. The Superski pass is a complete bargain too for all those resorts!
ski holidays
I'd actually do a week in Warth/ Schroeken, a second week in Lech and a 3rd week in St Anton.....but i'm biased because thats exactly what my plan is, with a week or 2 in between to open a few emails, and another week in Arlberg tagged on at the end for good measure, one area season pass, best skiing imo in Europe bar none.
snow report
Thanks all for the replies - I will consider those options and give some researching. Although normally I would be all in for exploring many new areas, at this occasion, I would like to find a place where I can have more like a living in the alps experience than a holiday.

I will also have to squeeze in some part-time remote working some days, so being time-effective would also be a plus
snow report
3 weeks is a long time without a car, but also might be costly to hire for such a long time. So...consider drive out.

To maximize time and money, I think the idea of finding a stable lodging, perhaps off-resort if you have a car.

For the same, find a season pass that covers a variety.

I like the sound of those multi resort passes in Austria if it were me.
snow conditions
Gustavobs wrote:
I would like to find a place where I can have more like a living in the alps experience than a holiday.

Briancon is a pretty pleasant town in the alps and relatively modest prices to rent in .
ski holidays
TQA wrote:
Get the Superski Dolomiti pass and go explore the Dolomites. You will find yourself in intermediate heaven. More than enough for 3 weeks.

Selva Corvara or Arabba are all good bases. Make sure you see the war museum at the top of the middle cable car on the Marmolada.

+1 Dolonites would fit the bill and somewhere new for you to explore
snow report
Either Dolomites and move around the whole area, staying at different towns for maybe a week each, OR the Salzburg Ski Pass and again move between varied resorts for a week each
snow conditions
I think Saint Gervais would be a good spot, lots to go at, easy to get to Les Contamines and can get to Chamonix or even Grand Massif for days out if you want. It’s a proper town, not a ski village too so nice to base yourself out of.
ski holidays
Gustavobs,

Fly to Denver and ski Summit County, plus Vail and Beaver Creek! A Local Epic season pass would be good value. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Jackson Hole for 10 days.

Aspen for 10 days.

Go Stateside. Snow is much better.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Jackson Hole for 10 days.

Aspen for 10 days.

Go Stateside. Snow is much better.

Can’t argue with either of those resorts but snow’s superb in Western Europe at the moment as it was last year...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy