Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Le Grand Bornand, La Clusaz, Aravis Resorts 2018 - 2019

Poster: A snowHead
Capfun at Balme - www.facebook.com/Plan.de.Fernuy & www.capfun.co.uk/campsite-france-rhone_alpes-plan_fernuy-EN.html

@Renry, I remember from last year to never go down that again (we're boarders).........is it ok down to the Croix?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's fine-after the chairlift is where it gets flat!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
One way for snowboarders to get back to La Clusaz from the Beauregard....you just need a brother on skis Very Happy ...

http://snowmediazone.com/the_zone/data/500/medium/91FA71CB-A475-4455-8BE9-A3D273E0E057.jpeg
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jim from The Ski Podcast is living out in La Clusaz now. He's got a review of the resort in E29
http://theskipodcast.com/winter-olympics/e29-eddie-the-eagle-interview-la-clusaz-folie-douce-chamonix/

Episode 30 will be out tomorrow and that will include a review of Le Grand Bornand Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sat on the balcony in a tshirt & shorts today at croix fry 1,467m. Quite a bit of thaw going on. Will be skiing tomorrow so will post conditions. After I’ve applied my after sun that is
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Renry, wow......rushes back to pack shorts!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You will need them. Our chalet is south facing so sat out until gone 4pm in tshirt and shorts, little or no wind made it very pleasent. Not sure what the skiing will be like. Heading out first thing in the morning for a few hours then night skiing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Any recommendations of evening places to eat around La Clusaz......possibly a little off the beaten track as we are mobile......must also be able to provide more than chicken nuggets/steak hache for kids? I've eaten in the town last year and wasn't too impressed so wonder if you get more bang for your buck a little further afield?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’m finding this extended spell of warm weather a little strange. I have encountered the odd mild day (we normally ski early Feb) but today we skied from first lift to lunch, sat in the sun for lunch then back to the chalet (busy busy) sat for most of the afternoon on the balcony , had to come in as I feel I’ve had too much sun. Just not used to this on a ski holiday !

I’m not sure I will get many agreeing but I think I prefer it cold

Actually looking forward to the temperature drop for night ski
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have a question for the folks who know La Clusaz well, or indeed any of the surrounding resorts. What are conditions usually like for the 2nd half or March? Do any of the resorts hold their snow better than others? Is skiing down to resort level still ok at this time of year?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mikeycharlton, last year we went over Easter to La Clusaz, tons of snow as most of the slopes are north facing and hold the snow well......how they well fair with all this hot weather for this week and next we will have to see......
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Holding up pretty well, but that’s only 3 days ! Not the 10 more that’s possible
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Does anybody have any experience of using the lockers at the lift station in LGB?
https://en.legrandbornand.com/ski-lockers.html

It says they fit 4-5 pairs of skis but I'm not sure if this includes space for boots. The fact it says that the lockers are heated suggests that would be for the benefit of boots?
snow conditions
Re snow holding, noticed more than a few spring style slips away from the pistes today, all the way back to rock/ground in places. Its bloomin' warm - 16 deg. C today. Was 20 yesterday! All the usual spring conditiins
ski holidays
Waaaahhh, we are heading to La Clusaz at the weekend. Was not expecting it to be so hot!! Any tips on where the conditions are likely to hold up the best?
snow conditions
@lyzhnik, balme
snow report
Balme pistes are lovely at the moment.
ski holidays
We camped out in Balme car park last wknd, there is lots of space but the car park was filling up very quickly so get there early.
latest report
Found Balme early afternoon in very good condition- elsewhere like spring conditions!
snow conditions
Balme is holding up pretty well. Several thin cover warnings in a few places but only seen one piste closure so far
latest report
The snow even still sqweeks at the top of the Balme cable car snowHead
latest report
@Dan, you probably ran over a marmot... There were butterflies at the top of l'aguille yesterday
latest report

This was Combe to Juents today.
snow report
Wow, we didn't see butterflies.

We ventured down there yesterday, went straight back up and away. It was slushy with muddy patches. That two man chair is nice.

Back to Balme today before the return drive.
snow conditions
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who gave us some great info before we headed to St-Jean de Sixt a couple of weeks ago. We had a great time, what a lovely area, really pretty! Snow conditions were perfect and although we didn't have the best weather in Le Grand Bornand we all enjoyed both resorts. I particularly enjoyed the pistes down from the top of the Beauregard gondola and the La Balme area both in La Clusaz. Would definitly add it to my list of resorts to go back to!
snow report
Hi everyone, going to grand Bornand Chinaillon in the week of 9 March. I'm familiar with the area. This year I'm bringing my 3 nieces and when I tried to book their ski children beginner classes in the morning, I was surprised to find them all booked either in ESF or ESI, group or private lesson all booked....Sad I find this odd for low season, and never had any trouble booking before. Do you know of any other schools or certified English speaking monitors for children in the area that you can recommend?

Thank you for your help.

Happy skying to those who are there. Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We have used evolution 2 the last two years. Very quick to communicate with via email.
ski holidays
info@evolution2-laclusaz.com
ski holidays
@calinca, I had a quick look at the esf and esi links from the lgb website just now and there appear to be a couple of 'blips'. Like you say, it is odd that low season would be totally booked out. If it were me, I would email them to get a direct answer. contact@esf-grand-bo.com or info@esi-starski.net Hopefully one of them will come up with something for you.
snow report
@Dan, thank you but evolution 2 is based in la Clusaz and I'm staying in chinaillon, so logistics is a bit more complicated.....
latest report
Hi @Loatie, I've actually contacted them first by email directly, starski now says they might have a group class available. I've never used them before, my oldest niece started with ESF in the Gettiers area, where they have a nice house, good playground and carpet for the beginner children. With ESI Starski they mention their meeting point is at the Chatelet area, and I only remember a small beginner area there with no house, and just a rope. probably I can't be really picky at this point Sad Does anyone have experience with begginer children and starski?

Maybe it's the snow melting away....... and they will close by then......Or maybe the resort will be much busier in low season then I've expected.

Thank you very much for your help and feeedback Happy

Carolina
ski holidays
Carolina - I wouldn’t worry about the snow melting away. Have skied lgb for many years and their record for snow and retaining it is very good.
We’ve had beginners in our family who have used starski in the past and have been fine. It’s true that the very first hour or two will be using the tow rope area but the good thing about meeting at the base of the chatelet is that they quickly progress onto the lac run at the top of the chatelet lift which is perfect for first runs.
I can’t think that it will be overly busy in March - we are back then so I hope not!
ski holidays
New snow should be moving in around Friday, with about 50cm or so accumulating over the next 10 days.

latest report
@calinca, Your difficulties booking the lessons, I think, are down to both companies having relatively small operations at Chinaillon.. it means that the majority of their instructors are only hired full time for high season. The rest of the year they'll be back at their “day jobs”. Obviously there’s some flexibility in such a situation, but they'll want to be very certain it’ll be worth dragging one back up the hill.
Gentle persistence and a definite commitment that you won’t cancel should pay off I'm sure.
snow report
8cm of fairly "heavy" snow in LGB Chinaillon (1300m) so far after a lot of rain earlier in the night. Still snowing moderately.
latest report
Well, let's see how the snow holds, there is more rain forecast for the next days Sad
ski holidays
Any updates as heading to La Clusaz for a cheeky week, arriving Sunday 31st March
snow report
Had it all this week - gorgeous sunshine, a smattering of rain which turned to snow pretty quickly yesterday evening and on the trip up to the bakers just now had to negotiate about 18 inches of snow which has fallen overnight - and it’s still chucking it down. If the sun comes back tomorrow we should be in for a lovely few days.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy