Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

insurance for skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey,

Has anyone got any recommendations for insurance for skis/bindings? I'm a little paranoid about leaving my new, expensive setup outside mountain restaurants where I can't see them...

I'll be getting about 50 days this season

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not insurance, but might be worth getting one of these.... https://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/products/product-information/current-key/998600.html

I have one, and it's not gonna stop bolt cutters or a pro, but it will stop someone picking skis up and walking off if they fancy yours instead. I always worry about mine, i have noticed that i am in the minority as most don't seem to think twice about setting their skis off and walking off.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
another interesting lock

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M9I7ZMG/ref=s9_acsd_simh_hd_bw_b3MDZLb_c_x_w?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=K37JCNVY4YQGJSE5BQJJ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=37084226-685f-5566-85c2-2717a7d102d8&pf_rd_i=3076712031&tag=amz07b-21
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Meltus, I think you are better off trying to secure them.

Insurance won't pay new for old - so the longer you have them the less you'll get paid. And there is the hassle/excess.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Meltus, I'm with @Sweedish, I normally use one of these https://tinyurl.com/yaoj6g4c, but thought I would try out a lock from Hiplok, not sure its that portable https://www.hiplok.com/product/z-lok-single-cyan/ other colours are available.

The insurance companies won't pay out unless they were secured
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
radar wrote:
@Meltus, I'm with @Sweedish, I normally use one of these https://tinyurl.com/yaoj6g4c, but thought I would try out a lock from Hiplok, not sure its that portable https://www.hiplok.com/product/z-lok-single-cyan/ other colours are available.

The insurance companies won't pay out unless they were secured

radar i figure its better to be safe than sorry! My mrs things im paranoid....its not even like my skis are worth a lot but i tell her its a long walk down the mountain if someone did take them plus the hassle involved!

I like the look of that hiplok...good find!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have Personal Possessions cover on my UK household insurance, and I read the policy as covering things like this - but as said above, only on old for new valuation.
A lock is better prevention. Or just stay with them all the time and keep on skiing rather than stuffing your belly Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Grizzler, the insurer will probably ask about securing the property, if they are left unsecured outside a restaurant the would in all probability dismiss the claim, then as above you got the new for old bit as well. Plus sliding down the mountain on you bum.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Sweedish, Hiplock isn’t a slip in your pocket type it more stick in your rucksack, I’ll see how it goes and may switch back to the retractable type, Evans cycles sell the one with the combination lock in their shops its quite bulky, the one with the key is slimmer
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My son uses a z-loc for his skateboard. Either just strap your skies together between the bindings or strap them to the rack. It will not protect you against someone who is determined to nick your skis, but will definitely deter an opportunist.
Very light and pocketable.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
radar wrote:
@Sweedish, Hiplock isn’t a slip in your pocket type it more stick in your rucksack, I’ll see how it goes and may switch back to the retractable type, Evans cycles sell the one with the combination lock in their shops its quite bulky, the one with the key is slimmer

Yes i just thoght it looked handy and an interesting lock!

I think any of these locks will only delay a thief, and not deter a 'pro' ski stealer (if there is such a thing)!

Its like a house alarm or a steering wheel lock....It won't stop them, but it will make them look for an target to steal or break in to.

Ultimately my skis are not that good that anyone would go out their way to steal them so if an opportunist did see them and consider taking them when he sees a lock he will just try another pair instead.

My retractable lock fits in my pocket, so on days that i don't want a backpack i can still take it out with me.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Check you r household insurance. I notices on one I looked at that it doesn't cover skis
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I go with the retractable lock. My skis are NOT covered for theft under my travel insurance policy if they are left unattended unless from a locked room (paraphrasing the long winded wording and the stuff about from a car as the limitation on then being concealed and the length of our skis mean it won’t be covered).

On the mountain my reckoning is it will put off opportunist’s and people who struggle to remember which are there skis!

One year hubby had his hired skis taken from the boot room, the culprit had left behind similar ones (same length but not the ones he had hired). So we took those to the shop and got them to adjust for his boots. We were staying in Courchevel 1550 late season so I don’t know how high that person would have got before they realised there boots didn’t fit the skis!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
retractable lock it is then, thank guys.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Retractable lock works well, used one when skis where new but don't bother any more but will start using again when have shinny new skis. If you are really worried you can split skis with other people and lock?
Also keep lock dry.... I have read somewhere that someone lock froze .
snow conditions
I just renewed my policy and the ski replacement conditions are quite depressing. Even though my various pairs of skis/bindings are in perfect condition with years of life left, once they hit 6 years old they are worthless according to the insurer Crying or Very sad

How old is the equipment? How much will you get back?

Up to 12 months old 90% of the price you paid
Up to 24 months old 70% of the price you paid
Up to 36 months old 50% of the price you paid
Up to 48 months old 30% of the price you paid
Up to 60 months old 20% of the price you paid
Over 60 months old Nothing

Basically you want to lose or get your skis stolen in the first 2 years Twisted Evil
snow report
Sweedish wrote:
another interesting lock

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M9I7ZMG/ref=s9_acsd_simh_hd_bw_b3MDZLb_c_x_w?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=K37JCNVY4YQGJSE5BQJJ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=37084226-685f-5566-85c2-2717a7d102d8&pf_rd_i=3076712031&tag=amz07b-21

Interesting concept but won’t fit any of my skis.

I’ve used a Dakine Cam lock for years, but it seems they may have stopped making it, as most places are out of stock.

https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Dakine_Cam_Lock_Snowboard_Lock_Green-%2879734%29
snow conditions
PowderAdict wrote:
Sweedish wrote:
another interesting lock

Interesting concept but won’t fit any of my skis.

I’ve used a Dakine Cam lock for years, but it seems they may have stopped making it, as most places are out of stock.

https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Dakine_Cam_Lock_Snowboard_Lock_Green-%2879734%29

Shame it doesn't fit!

That dakine one looks decent quality...better than the retractable in terms of theft protection!
snow report
A nifty on-the-go solution for skis is to set them apart about 10+ meters away from each other, so you can stay relaxed knowing a thief would rather steal a pair.
snow conditions
@PowderAdict, pretty standard terms
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@PowderAdict, pretty standard terms

Agreed on being standard terms, but still pretty annoying, when your policy has a £1000 for ski equipment cover statement, and you have £1000 ski/bindings, which would cost £1000 to replace, and you find you would get nothing if they were stolen.

It a pity you can’t get agreed value cover, like you can of other insured items.
ski holidays
@PowderAdict, kind of makes sense though. Let's say you expect to use your skis for 5 years. You would be saving money each year* to fund your next pair. They are just making up the shortfall.

* Nobody will have a specific "new ski fund" but it will be/should be part of your overall financial planning.
ski holidays
@PowderAdict, the alternative of paying new for old would have to be a lot more expensive - probably prohibitively so for most.

If you ever fancied a new pair of ski's you could just "lose" the old ones and make a claim.
latest report
@PowderAdict, all of which is why you end being better to try and keep your gear secure and to "self-insure".
snow report
@Layne, I fully understand the ‘insurance is a form of gambling’ arguement, and saving for the replacement of a consumable item, but in my view my skis aren’t a disposable wear item, at least not in 5 years. It just one of my pet bugbears Very Happy

If I did 100 days a season, I would probably have a different perspective on writing off skis. Are they tax deductible for ski professionals?
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
... Let's say you expect to use your skis for 5 years. You would be saving money each year* to fund your next pair. They are just making up the shortfall....
Except they don't point that out in the large print, and it's important because the "value" (which most people think they're getting) is a maximum in the 1st year, and drops off rapidly after that, where as the premium does not.
Not a fair game. I just "self insure" and keep my risk low.

--
The standard retractable locks are better than nothing, but those cables are so thin that I reckon you could break them with a carefully applied ski edge.
Hence I use a thicker cable, which I can see would take you a while to chop through that way.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy