Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Live TR: Åre, 14-16 December (ski test weekend)

Poster: A snowHead
So, time to get a thread up and running for my first trip of the winter. After two years on the PSB, I've signed up for the SOPiB in March and holiday being what it is, that means I can't afford a full week in December. However, living in Gothenburg means that many of the Scandi resorts are doable for a long weekend so I can scratch my snow itch before Christmas. With the Skistar ski test weekend coming up, plus the attraction of an easy overnight train journey giving 3 days of skiing for one day off work, Åre was the obvious choice. After convincing a colleague from work to join me, the group has expanded to his old school mate, the mate's brother, mate of the brother and and another semi-random (possibly) ex-school mate. I'll be the token brit flailing down the hill after a bunch of Swedes who've skiied all their lives Shocked At least my Swedish may improve a bit!

Weather so far looks ok: it's snowed in the last couple of weeks, been cold enough for the cannon and the forecast is manageable (only -19 on Saturday). Accommodation in Åre By booked, train tickets sorted, food plans underway and mate #1 will be visiting the systembolaget (state-run off licence) at the weekend. Kit mostly packed, new torture instruments/boots ready to go, so I now just have to survive 2 more days at work and then get to the train station on time Thursday evening. Oh, and recover from the flu that arrived this weekend and has left me washed out and sporting a hacking cough. Perfect timing.

Bring on Thursday evening snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You went for it then! Forecast to be quite nippy on the weekend. Looking to test any particular skis?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just a little chilly! Not got my sights on anything in particular, I'll be a it limited with WTR soles on my new boots think and I have a brand new pair of Kore 93s sitting at home waiting for better snow. But it'll be fun trying some others and lining up n+1 Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hope they open some more runs up. Only a handful of pistes open today when I looked on the web this afternoon
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd be interested in a review of the Extrem opinion / second opinion. Wink wink, nudge nudge. Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well Åre only opens very little before Christmas - this year they say 20th is the day when most run open.

It seems last year one SH had a early stay with most runs closed. Shocked

Maybe there should be a Åre 2019/20 - (Themasterpiece?) - for the few of us who go there. Easter is a bit late this year - so I have choosen end of March.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@scr, I'll see what I can do...
@Hyst, yep, not expecting much to be open but at least I'll be sliding, and hopefully on lots of shiny new skis. Beats a day in the office.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hopefully its a great trip.

Vallasen ski area in Skane is planning to open this week end as well.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mgrolf,

Quote:

I have a brand new pair of Kore 93s sitting at home

You should probably take these for a reference point even if you don't use them much.

Quote:

mate #1 will be visiting the systembolaget (state-run off licence) at the weekend

But this is the most important part of the trip! snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@dbeatski, my trusty Soul Riders are coming with me as the reference point. Never mind that they're remounted ~2.5 cm forward of where the bindings have been (new bindings and swiss cheese problem), and new as-yet-unused boots!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The journey begins. Leaving work there were snowflakes (just about) in the air, but not enough to alter the feeling that something is fundamentally wrong. It's yet to get properly cold and skiing seems improbable. All being well though, I'll wake up tomorrow to a winter wonderland. If I'm on the right bit of the train, I'll be in Åre. If not, then I'll be significantly further north and east in Luleå. The train splits at about 03:00 so I don't intend to be awake to be sure!

The train is pretty similar to the French sleepers, though I'm in a compartment with 3 beds rather than 6. It's got the same fold down beds with worn out upholstery, but slightly better luggage space. Otherwise, anyone who's used the French sleepers would feel right at home.

Not much to see out of the window, it's pitch black out. Next stop Åre...or Luleå Confused Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just saw a cool video of them clearing ice from the Kabinbana. Would be awesome if they open it, although I doubt anything is pisted at the top.

https://www.facebook.com/525148760903854/posts/2004928659592516/
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Now that would be nice, but no mention of it in the plans yesterday. Who knows though, maybe I'll be extra lucky snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Seems like it got cold overnight

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Minus 16-17 white outside(edit) dark - you are there! Toofy Grin
But no wind - lucky you!
snow report
No wind? Are you sure that you're in Åre? Laughing
snow report
So I've arrived, walked the 5 minutes up to the apartment (just above Åre Torg, for those that know Åre) and in that time frozen the insides of my nostrils. It is cold! But looking good Very Happy

ski holidays
@mgrolf, nice Happy

We loved our trip to Sweden (Sälen), and will definitely go back there again.
snow report
@mgrolf, have a great weekend
ski holidays
@scr, Laughing Laughing
snow report
First day done. Let's get the temperature out of the way first: -20 (without wind chill) is cold. Freeze your fingers, toes, any exposed skin and the insides of your nose cold (the last one feels very odd). But at least it was sunny, not too busy and a selection of slopes were open.
The snow was mostly hard, icy in places and not that pleasant, but coverage was good and really I can't complain. After the usual group faff first thing (how long can it take one person to hire skis, and five to buy passes? A: nearly an hour) we set off, up VM:6 and then Hummelliften to get up, across and down to the bottom of VM:8 where the ski test was based. There was a decent range of skis - most of the big names, plus a number of smaller brands including the local Extrem Skis, Blossom, DPS and others. Finding skis with wtr compatible bindings caused a few problems, but I was soon kitted up with a pair of K2 Waybacks with marker kingpins. Really light, and nice enough on smooth snow but showed their lack of weight as soon as it got at all rough. After a couple of laps I traded them for Salomon QST92s - totally different type of ski and for me a much better match with my skills. I'd consider buying these if I didn't have a brand new pair of Kore 93s at home. By this time, with 5 blokes swapping skis left right and centre, it was time for lunch. We headed over to the 720 restaurant and joined the queue for a table. Decent gulaschsoppa for 140 SEK was not bad for Sweden on the mountain.
After lunch, I got on a Rossi Hero Elite STi. Totally the right ski for the conditions, so much grip than any other ski and really stable, but a tad stiff for me and I probably could have done with a size down (I was on the 167). Last up, another Rossi - Experience 88 ti. Much easier, still reasonable edge hold on the ice and it felt like I could bend it without too much effort.
By this point the group had fragmented, temperatures together with work phone calls and general route muppetry taking its toll. So I (with one remaining mate) headed back along the transport blue towards Åre Torg. No lights, closed piste but smooth snow and just enough light from the moon to see - magical Very Happy.
The evening featured beef rydberg, beer, sauna, beer, random chat, beer...you get the idea. Now off out to sample the local nightlife, if I can keep my eyes open long enough!
snow report
snowHead Lovely atmospheric report and pictures.
snow conditions

This is one of the open slopes mid afternoon, an hour or so after sunset. A sort of "soft focus" floodlit skiing. Beautiful.
ski holidays
snowHead
ski holidays
mgrolf wrote:

After lunch, I got on a Rossi Hero Elite STi. Totally the right ski for the conditions, so much grip than any other ski and really stable, but a tad stiff for me and I probably could have done with a size down (I was on the 167).

I hired some Rossi Hero Elite MT (multi turn, replaces the all turn I think) on the PSB, in a 167 which felt right. Really tempted to buy a pair (XXL, Stadium, and Intersport all have 25% off this weekend in Sweden if you want to have a look online).

mgrolf wrote:

The evening featured beef rydberg, beer, sauna, beer, random chat, beer...you get the idea. Now off out to sample the local nightlife, if I can keep my eyes open long enough!

Love a bit of beef Rydberg Very Happy Guess that wasn’t cheap in Åreby...
snow conditions
Themasterpiece wrote:

Love a bit of beef Rydberg Very Happy Guess that wasn’t cheap in Åreby...

Probably not, but as it was cooked in the apartment, it didn't cost us much Very Happy
snow report
Anyone test any Extrem skis?
snow report
Day 2. -24. Nuff said.
Today largely followed yesterday's pattern: up VM:6, a quick lap, then up Hummelliften and across to the ski test. Before reviewing skis, some more info on runs. We've basically alternated 57 Gästrappet with
48/46/34 Åteleden lågzon/ Rödkulluleden/Långsvängen lågzon. First lap icy and steeper, second lap flat blues through the trees. Given the lack of runs, and early season snow, it's been a decent test track. The continuation of 48 (although closed) provides an easy, if dark, route home.
So, the skis. DPS Cassiar(?) 82 Alchemist, 178. What they had available, but too long for me, felt like I couldn't really get it working and it wanted me to ski much faster than I was happy to. Swapped this for the Tour1 Cassiar 87, 169. Much better for me, great edge hold on the ice, still stable at speed though someone stronger and faster than me might well find their upper limit. I'd consider these if I was in the market for a mid eighties touring ski.
Now back at the apartment, waiting for my boots to warm up enough to take off.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And now, especially for @scr, and with a nod to @Themasterpiece, the Extrem Opinion and Second Opinion, both in the carbon construction and shorter 179 length. I skiied the 98 mm Opinion first. Initially I thought the tip would be very flappy as it has quite a long, if low rise, tip rocker, but in fact it was pretty stable despite the primarily hardpack conditions. It was fun, easy to pivot, with surprisingly good hold on ice. At higher speeds it felt pretty smooth. I traded up to its bigger brother, the 108 Second Opinion, expecting a harder time with the added width. Instead it was stable, easy to get up on edge despite my limited skills, and just felt planted. Compared to the Opinion, it felt more substantial and I had no concerns at all driving them as fast as I could on the less icy slightly softer pistes. Both are primarily soft snow off piste skis so I've only tested them in the wrong conditions but I'd love to try the Second Opinion in its natural element.
Damn you @scr, my bank account will not be happy if I do and have the same smile on my face snowHead
latest report
mgrolf wrote:
Day 2. -24. Nuff said.

Now back at the apartment, waiting for my boots to warm up enough to take off.

Insulated clothing? Or managing with layers and shell?
Any fancy face protection, or just buffs?

I think it was the same time last year, where I’d driven to the VM8. New boots, which are hard to take off at the best of times. And started to panic a bit as they felt like they were set rock solid on my feet. After much hugging and puffing got them off eventually.
snow conditions
Layers and shell. No face mask, perhaps need one. My feet were ok actually, but the boots are tricky to get off when they're warm -the overlap pinches my instep - so waiting was a necessary evil.
ski holidays
View looking north-ish from the top of VM:8 this afternoon. Doesn't do the colours justice but does show the massive temperature inversion.

ski holidays
@mgrolf, you're welcome Laughing

I have to get up to Åre so I too can demo the Extrem. I've read nothing but positive reviews so far. I remember one guy calling them "fladderstabil", which made me chuckle
snow report
@mgrolf, and thank you for your review.
snow report
+1
snow conditions
@mgrolf, thanks for the review. Always good to here from Are - great place.
ski holidays
@scr, where are you based? Really easy train ride from Gothenburg, I think I'll be doing it again.
ski holidays
@mgrolf, I live in Malmö. Growing up, my family and I often took the night train to Åre (direct from Malmö) and I have always enjoyed the smoothness of the journey. This season I'm looking at a short weekend break like the one you just had, and that doesn't work well with the departures (wed, sat only). Maybe I should do Malmö-Gbg-Åre, though this routing does not show up on SJ.se Puzzled
snow report
Can't see why Malmö-Göteborg and onwards wouldn't work. Train only goes up on Thursdays I think though.
ski holidays
Day 3 dawned tropical by comparison to the previous two, with the mercury nudging into single (negative) numbers for the first time. Packing and clearing the apartment took just over an hour, not bad given how much clobber was strewn across it last night. We dropped our bags in the baggage room, left the keys at the wrong reception by mistake (same company, but office next door Shocked ) and headed for the lifts.
With the ski test over, today was just a regular day's skiing on the same posted as the past couple of days. The snow was better around VM:6 than VM:8, not so busy and not so scraped. Various places were becoming treacherous, especially if your technique is not so hot (ahem) so out was a case of searching out the softer routes and not getting caught out. Wear and tear also brought their other early season friends, rocks, to the party. Some were avoidable, others lurked unseen until jumping out at the last minute. I made the right decision leaving my new skis at home; my old ones took a beating with at least two sections of edge pulling partway out from the base. A repair project for the Christmas break methinks.
Now back on the train, showered (surprisingly good shower on the train) and listening to the dulcet tones of the horn as we go through a level crossing every few minutes.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy