Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Indicating while in overtaking lane in French Autoroute

Poster: A snowHead
Could someone clarify what is the correct protocol / law in France with regards to using keeping left indicator on while in the outside lane in a French autoroute. I ask as I find this practice very inconsistent and only seems to happen in France. Some drivers leave it on for the the whole time they are in overtaking lane, others just indicate left then right as they change. I'd like to know what is the correct way .
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As far as I'm aware it's courtesy and not a law. Someone might elaborate as to whether it's mentioned in the French highway code as a 'should' or 'may', or if it's mentioned at all.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 11-12-18 9:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Ozboy, as French examiners expect you to drive as though it’s Friday night rush hour around the Champs Elysees, I don’t think there is legal guidance!

It is a French thing. My observation is that it either says “get out of my way I want past” if they are behind you or “wee wee off I’m not moving” if in front of you...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's an Italian thing too.
They're either lazy or it's a "get out my way" thing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In theory you should leave it on for the whole time you are overtaking and indicate right when you've finished overtaking and are about to switch back to the rightmost lane.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I do it when driving in France. No clue if it is a should or a may but I think it is pretty good, as it says, I am overtaking and going to keep going, so if you also want to overtake, get in behind me.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's also good on those filthy bad visibility days when there's spray, muck and bullets everywhere. Look in the mirror and be in no doubt that somebody's coming up in the outside lane. The French, of course, pull back in once having finished overtaking - the same practice would never do in the UK for the all those MLOC drivers.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Reading threads about driving through France make me sad that I won't be driving back and forth to the Alps much in future. I generally enjoyed those drives.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

It is a French thing. My observation is that it either says “get out of my way I want past” if they are behind you or “wee wee off I’m not moving” if in front of you...

My observation as well, flashing headlights is the next stage of “get out of my way I want past”
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Timc, you get less flashing and tailgating if you turn on the indicator (or at least, that's my experience) as at least the bloke in the white van (as ever) knows you've noticed him.

@andy, must admit, I haven't noticed it in Italy so much, there it's usually just someone lurking 5mm from the rear bumber. Or (if Audi or BMW) doing lots of full beam flashing as they approach.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
2 observations -
1. the French are so keen to get back into the inside lane that they often carve you up, to the extent cruise control brakes you as they cut you up!
2. the last time I took a driving test I was told not to indicate when pulling back in after overtaking but only when approaching my exit slip road. I was specifically bollocked by the examiner for doing so after my underpowered KH500 took 1/2 a mile or more to struggle past a bus uphill!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Italy varies by region a bit too.
Take the Rome GRA, and cars will just permanently drive in the outside of the outside lane, permanently indicating the entire way. Not just to overtake another vehicle. They also have the concept of different positions within a lane. So being in the outside lane means you're overtaking cars in the inside, but being way out to the left with wheels in the road debris and wing mirror almost skimming the crash barrier in the outside lane with a permanent indicator means you're overtaking cars in your lane.
Only need to take care of front and right of car - if everyone does that, then left and rear are taken care of by others Wink
Unless a Lambo or Ferrari comes up behind, then you pull in to let it past regardless. Everyone takes care of all 4 sides of those cars.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You get the same thing in Germany too, although I don't know what it means.

andy wrote:
... Unless a Lambo or Ferrari comes up behind, then you pull in to let it past regardless. Everyone takes care of all 4 sides of those cars.

Actually with a noticeably quick car, people tend to notice and pull over, even when you don't particularly want them to.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

t's also good on those filthy bad visibility days when there's spray, muck and bullets everywhere. Look in the mirror and be in no doubt that somebody's coming up in the outside lane.

I do it for two reasons:
1. "when in Rome" - sensible to follow local customs
2. For exactly Pam's reason. French roads are excellent but poorly lit versus UK ones (much bigger network, understandable) - the indicator does show up in your mirrors and alert you to the risk of pulling out.

BTW - the one thing I miss about UK roads is cats eyes - UK motorway junctions are much clearer at night because of the cats eyes.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

the French are so keen to get back into the inside lane that they often carve you up

Absolutely true. Very irritating when you have to take your foot off just to open up a respectable distance between you. Still, on balance I find that marginally less annoying than the MLOC characters.
ski holidays
@Ozboy,
I find its the same in uk.
Some people indicate on pulling out & back in.

Others leave it on while over taking & indicate when pulling back in.

Boy racer & white van Pricks dont bother indicating.
snow report
Quote:

the one thing I miss about UK roads is cats eyes

Yep, cannot understand why they don't use them over here.
snow report
philwig wrote:

Actually with a noticeably quick car, people tend to notice and pull over, even when you don't particularly want them to.

Driving up the M6 latiesh at night a few weeks ago and in one of the few stretches of non-roadworks I was somewhat surprised to pass a somewhat lairy McClaren driving at what must of been no more than 60mph. Presumably had a drunk Prem footballer at the wheel given it was Cheshire?
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
philwig wrote:

Driving up the M6 latiesh at night a few weeks ago and in one of the few stretches of non-roadworks I was somewhat surprised to pass a somewhat lairy McClaren driving at what must of been no more than 60mph. Presumably had a drunk Prem footballer at the wheel given it was Cheshire?

Probably couldn't find 2nd gear Very Happy
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

I heard it was a patent thing, suppose the negoitations between central europeans and a Yorkshireman would even make Brexit look easy.

Percy Shaw invented the cat's eyes, looks like his cheese really slid off the cracker

Quote:
He became eccentric in later life, removing the carpets, curtains and much of the furniture from his isolated home, and keeping four televisions running constantly (respectively tuned to BBC1, BBC2 and ITV, all with the sound turned down)[1] with a fourth showing BBC2 in colour. On each Friday a few friends would come to the house and Percy would supply crates of bottled ale and boxes of potato crisps. He told Alan Whicker that the reason for keeping the TVs on simultaneously was so that his friends could watch whichever of the then existing channels they chose to, and there would be no arguments. One luxury was his Rolls-Royce Phantom. He never married and he died from cancer and heart disease at Boothtown Mansion, Halifax, where he had lived for all but two of his 86 years. Despite rumours of a personal fortune, his personal estate was admitted to probate in December 1976 at a value of £193,500. He was an agnostic, but his funeral was held at Boothtown Methodist Church, and he was cremated in Elland.
In 2005, he was listed as one of the 50 greatest Yorkshire people in a book by Bernard Ingham.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Shaw
latest report
@philwig, I used to drive Glasgow-Edinburgh on a very frequent basis and my then boss, who was a bit of a character and a real petrol head had suggested that it was entirely reasonable to have a Fiat Coupe Turbo in Fly Yellow as my rep mobile.

I found it pleasingly amusing to often have the car in front swiftly make room as this came up in their rear view mirror (usually around 90mph as I was younger and stupider)

ski holidays
The answer, of course, is to drive to the Alps and back on a scenic route, thus avoiding these irritating up-your-back bottom drivers, and taking in some French culture/good food/conversation along the way.
snow report
be nice if in the UK we simply kept to the left except when overtaking.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@philwig, I used to drive Glasgow-Edinburgh on a very frequent basis and my then boss, who was a bit of a character and a real petrol head had suggested that it was entirely reasonable to have a Fiat Coupe Turbo in Fly Yellow as my rep mobile.

I found it pleasingly amusing to often have the car in front swiftly make room as this came up in their rear view mirror (usually around 90mph as I was younger and stupider)

Ah very nearly signed for one of those in Bugatti Blue as my first company car. Took a Celica out of the pool in the end though as no personal top up payments required. rolling eyes Celica probably got me more ski days in Scotland not spent in a ditch though.
ski holidays

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 11-12-18 15:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
MY GOD! Shocked do you mean there are people over there that actually use their indicators . . . You're so lucky to live in such an enlightened world Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Jude1 wrote:
The answer, of course, is to drive to the Alps and back on a scenic route, thus avoiding these irritating up-your-back bottom drivers
I can assure you it makes no difference, you can slow down but they still won't overtake. I think their logic is that I should speed up. Conversely, i am happy to follow french plated cars on the assumption they adhere to the speed limit and know where the speed cams are so I can admire the scenery without to much worry.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

It's because of the way they clear their roads in winter. Cats eyes and snowplow blades don't mix well.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ozboy wrote:
Could someone clarify what is the correct protocol / law in France with regards to using keeping left indicator on while in the outside lane in a French autoroute.

From the French code de la route

"keeping your indicator on while you are in the outside lane marks you out as a gammon faced, MTB hunting, National Front voting Beauf who probably doesn't get behind the wheel of his car without a good glass or two of Genepi".

see also:

"sounding your horn as you come up behind cyclists"

and

"tailgating"
snow report
@reidobi, yeah, you never see snowploughs in Scotland. Or cat’s eyes. Puzzled
ski holidays
twoodwar wrote:
be nice if in the UK we simply kept to the left except when overtaking.

Agree. Lets ban pensioners & women off the road Toofy Grin
ski holidays
GrosPierre wrote:
In theory you should leave it on for the whole time you are overtaking and indicate right when you've finished overtaking and are about to switch back to the rightmost lane.

This is in the code de la route. When i was taking my French driving exam, I signaled every time I twitched. The instructor approved.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy