Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

About to book Lech for this weekend!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all! About to book Lech for this weeknd (15th)....so excited!!!

Any tips would be much appreciated!

Any mountain restaurant recommendations?

I am a nervous intermediate, any runs I should avoid?

Thinking of using https://skibex.at/en/ for ski rental as next to hotel. Anyone used them before?

Ski pass - is there more than one type of pass? Probably spend most time in Lech and perhaps a day in Warth.

Thank you all in advance! Getting so excited after spending last few weeks obsessively checking at snow forecast and webcams (and secretly doing snow dance)!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good news is that it's currently getting hammered with snow, 45cm of fresh reported this morning, the village is white! snowHead

Stick to the blues above Oberlech and you'll be fine, Petersboden & Weibermahd lifts. The hotels in Oberlech are nice places to stop for lunch.

Wow, a minimum of €222 for skis & boots for the week, the Lech pricing cartel is still going strong I see!! Shocked

I was so glad I had my own equipment, a fellow guest paid the same to hire his near-identical Atomic skis as I had to buy mine outright !!

If you can get cheap ski carriage, it might be worth buying some discounted last season or good secondhand skis and take them with you!

I think the only option is the Arlberg pass now, the only good news is that Wedel week (before Xmas) is a bit cheaper.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Decathlon have got some womens Rossignol beginner/lower intermediate skis in 3 popular sizes for £149

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rossignol-attraxion-skis-blk-id_8398777.html

Glisshop & Ekosport also have a selection of discounted models, if they can get them to you in time.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
These Heads come out at a similar price with 10% further discount

http://www.ekosport.co.uk/head-easy-joy-slr2-blk-pnk-joy-9-ac-85-18-p-9-41125.html

They say they can deliver by Wednesday if you order now.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Snowy123, great to see you’re really going to Lech. You will love it, pistes will be quiet, and Lech is lovely during the pre-Christmas period.
SkiBex is a fairly new kid on the rental block. No experience, but should be excellent.
Nearby is the new Intersport (since last year). Their prices are really competitive for Lech, so if you are looking for a good deal, Intersport is the only place to go.
Alternatively Sportalp is a well established place, with major advantage of being right next to the Schlegelkopf chair, and free storage included, also for boots.
Mountain restaurants: our favorites in Oberlech are Formarin, Cresta and Montana.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@luigi, thanks for your comments and the links. Unfortuantely I don't think it will be practical buy skis such last minute as the ski carriage on BA seems v expensive as we bought some cheap tickets! I think the ski carriage for return journey will be similar price to the skis!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Langerzug, thanks. Yes really looking forward to Lech. Intersport is not too far from our hotel either and it is definitely a bit cheaper. Are they any good? ANd thanks for the Oberlech restaurant tips. Will definitely check them out as want to check out hotels in Oberlech for future trips! Thanks.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Snowy123,
No experience with Intersport apart from walking through the shop once. Nice enough place, and quality should be fine.
Which hotel are you in?
For pistes indeed in the Lech-Oberlech-Warth area you can’t really go wrong on blues and reds.
The last 200 metrs of the main Schlegelkopf run turn into carnage often due to it being steeper and narrow. You can go around this by keeping on the right (look for the Rudalpe hütte) and return to the base via the ski-bridge passing the Hotel Aurelio.
The end of the lovely blue Schlosskopf run is a bit steeper too, and you really need to be very carefull at the end, where the little skitunnel is. Icy!

About looking for a future hotel in Oberlech: as pretty as Oberlech is, we prefer Lech. Lech has much more to offer after skiing.
Take my advice instead: go and look for the ski in/out hotels in Lech proper. Best of both worlds!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Langerzug, we are planning to stay at the Sandhof, which is between the Oberlech-Lech gondola and the Schlosskopf. Do you know it?

Thanks for the tips for the runs home. Very useful to know. I thought icy might be the case especially given probably a lot is man-made snow compacted at the bottom! Hopefully it won't be too busy so I can slowly come down the steeper bits!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ok, the Sandhof. Very central, yet not a very beautiful spot. Don’t know it apart from that (should be quite good, no worries) I do think you should be able to do better though.. sits right at the main village road, many buses and traffic (not that Lech is London of course)
Any reason you chose the Sandhof?
Just been looking at booking.com and was wondering whether you considered e.g. Cresta, Bellevue, Monzabon, Angela, Alpenfluh. Similar price, much nicer location, some ski-in/out
We are always staying b&b which we prefer, and actually is more economical whilst having more variety for dinner.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 10-12-18 14:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Langerzug, they are offering free stay for children for the pre-Xmas week whereas most other place I enquired only offer 20-25% discount for my 16 YO. Oh, and the reviews on Tripadvisor are pretty good.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ah, I see, that makes a difference! Don’t worry too much about my remarks, Sandhof will probably just be lovely!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Langerzug, yes I did check out the places you suggested before but they all worked out more expensive because of what they wanted to charge my teenager. With the Sandhof, it worked out just over Euro 100 a head including breakfast and a five course dinner everynight which I thought wasn't too bad for Lech?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowy123 wrote:
@luigi, thanks for your comments and the links. Unfortuantely I don't think it will be practical buy skis such last minute as the ski carriage on BA seems v expensive as we bought some cheap tickets! I think the ski carriage for return journey will be similar price to the skis!

Do you have a hold bag included? In which case you can swap your hold bag for a ski bag as long as it is upto 190cm long and is under their 23kg weight allowance. To make the most of this we bought a double ski bag which we fill out with rest of our stuff.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/sporting-goods-and-musical-instruments
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@NickyJ, thanks for the advise. We do have a hold bag but shared between 3 people (including 2 pairs of ski boots). Probably too late for this year to get new skis etc but will think about for next year.
snow report
@Snowy123, sounds like an excellent deal!
snow conditions
I got lousy equipment from Skibex last March so skip them. I'd hoped a smaller shop would be better than one of the chains, but no. As for on slope food its hard to go wrong, unless you are looking for self service situations; there's less of that compared to other resorts. The bakery in town is a nice affordable spot for lunch. Some of the other respondents have way more experience there than I do, but I'll say anyway that based on your description of your ability, resist the temptation to go to St Anton (although there is a good cafeteria on top of Galzig). Hordes of people on the intermediate pistes compared to Lech, which is right up your alley.
snow conditions
@Scooter in Seattle,
Maybe you should elaborate on the lousiness of your Skibex rental...
Apart from the new Intersport there are no ‘chains’ in Lech
snow report
Skis were Blizzards of some type, edges were so-so. Boots were soft with no forward lean, spent the day in the back seat. My expectations were low and not met. Fortunately Lufthansa got my stuff there after just one day.
snow report
@Scooter in Seattle, come on, you can’t be so dismissive about a skirental based on your experience. You just were miserable about not having your own gear. It is not fair to write these kind of things online, based on just one, very specific experience.
latest report
The original question asked about a place where I had one experience, which I honestly relayed, as you did above. I respectfully disagree that that is unfair; I was answering their question. Obviously I would have preferred to have my own equipment, but I've had good rental experiences before, just not at the place that was asked about. Had it been a good one, I would have said so.
snow report
Your comment on Skibex is very definitive, whilst your experience might very well be coloured by your personal situation, or just because of being unlucky in getting not the right gear. Things happen. Saying things like ‘poor edges’....well that’s just not very likely (and a bit of a cliché, maybe pistes were just a bit hard, you were tired, or it was related to the boots? Etc etc etc) or you have been unlucky. And you could easily have returned to them on the day, and they would definitely happily given you other stuff.
snow conditions
@Langerzug, so if I read this right, you recommend a place you’ve never used. @Scooter in Seattle, shares his experience from having actually used it and found that the equipment was poor, and you tell him he’s wrong?!?! Confused
latest report
While the kids are bickering on here...if you don't like the look of the steeper last pitches of the Schlosskopf or Schlegelkopf runs, you can always download on the Oberlech cablecar. wink
ski holidays
@Langerzug, that is one of the worst responses to genuine feedback I think I've ever read on here....and that takes some doing.
Should we ban all resort criticism, no matter how accurate.
latest report
@polo, @BobinCH, oh come on. what is ‘genuine’?
Did you ever experience the feeling of not being in your own skiboots? Even a triple-A ski with fine edges can feel miserable then!
snow conditions
Langerzug wrote:

Did you ever experience the feeling of not being in your own skiboots? Even a triple-A ski with fine edges can feel miserable then!

Errr yes. And believe it or not can also miraculously differentiate between crap boots and dull edges. As it seems can the OP.
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
Obviously I would have preferred to have my own equipment, but I've had good rental experiences before, just not at the place that was asked about. Had it been a good one, I would have said so.
snow conditions
Sorry, but that’s oversimplifying BS
Btw, aren’t you owning a rental somewhere in CH? Any experience with unjustifiably negative reviews? You will know about the detrimental effects they can have.....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Langerzug wrote:
Sorry, but that’s BS. You’re really too arrogant.

Hahahaha #potcallingthekettleblack
ski holidays
@Snowy123, you’ll love Lech! Petersboden in Oberlech is a good place for lunch and for drinks. You’ll probably spend most of your time skiing the Blues above Oberlech, the run down to the mid-station of the Warth gondola is particularly good for an intermediate. I’d also recommend a trip over to Warth, lots of nice cruisy blues there and it’s a good change of scenery. Big cable car up from Lech then blues all the way to Zurs is good too, but you’ll need to get the bus back from Zurs unless you’re feeling very bold. The one way to ski back can be a fairly tough red.
ski holidays
luigi wrote:
While the kids are bickering on here...if you don't like the look of the steeper last pitches of the Schlosskopf or Schlegelkopf runs, you can always download on the Oberlech cablecar. wink

yes @luigi, definitely as our hotel is v close to Oberlech gondola. thx.
ski holidays
@Valkyrie, Thank you for the tips! You are going there this weekend too, aren't you? Have a great week!
latest report
@Snowy123, also stop in at the Rud Alpe for a bit to eat. The Knoblauchsuppe is awesome. Sits overlooking Lech and just down from Oberlech. Make sure you do the toboggan run in the evening especially if you're close to the Oberlech bergbahn - not sure if it will be open at this time of year but is an absolute hoot.
ski holidays
@boabski, thanks. Knoblauchsuppe at Rut Alpe sounds good! Yum yum! I am sure my son would love to do the toboggan run!
latest report
I was in Zürs this morning..Perfekt Sonne Blue "sunscreen" skys & plenty of untracked POW !

This weekend (Sunday) a new Storm will roll in ....
snow conditions
Just wanted to say thank you to all those who have given me very sound advice in this thread and in the other threads.

A specially big thank you to @Langerzug and @Markymark29 who have given me loads of accommodation help.

We have made it to Lech and had a lovely first day despite the condition wasn’t perfect. I overheard an instructor telling his client that condition are expected be much better tomorrow when the pistes are groomed and the sun comes out. Fingers crossed!
ski holidays
@Snowy123, great to hear. What’s the accommodation like?
snow report
@Snowy123, you’re welcome, great to hear you are happy.
Tomorrow you’ll probably fall in love with Lech Very Happy
ski holidays
@Snowy123, great stuff, we arrive Saturday.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy