Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Remote working

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I work remotely as an IT contractor with a US company, but I'm UK based. I've been thinking I should really take advantage of this and base myself in a ski resort for a few weeks where I could ski in the morning and then work US hours for the afternoon/night.

On that, does anyone have any experience with this? Do any resorts have co-working spaces, or desks to rent? Chamonix has a place called The Ski Locker, which looks good but closes at 6pm. Would it be hard to find accommodation where I could have good internet and a desk in my room? At a minimum I need a desk and good internet connection.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In the absence of WiFi, use 4G. should get a decent signal/speed. Doesn't cost much either. I've 'worked' in various holiday locations Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Find a business town with a ski area attached.

Davos is best.
Chamonix is okay.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can't imagine a desk woyld be available in a holiday let. Dining table?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Third Space or Buro in Morzine. Lots of people doing the same as you in summer and winter
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
conor90 wrote:
Hi,

I work remotely as an IT contractor with a US company, but I'm UK based. I've been thinking I should really take advantage of this and base myself in a ski resort for a few weeks where I could ski in the morning and then work US hours for the afternoon/night.

On that, does anyone have any experience with this? Do any resorts have co-working spaces, or desks to rent? Chamonix has a place called The Ski Locker, which looks good but closes at 6pm. Would it be hard to find accommodation where I could have good internet and a desk in my room? At a minimum I need a desk and good internet connection.

Got loads of friends who work in the ski locker, it's open 24 hours as far as I know.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I can't imagine a desk woyld be available in a holiday let. Dining table?

Yea that would be fine as long as I'm not sharing with other people

Quote:

Got loads of friends who work in the ski locker, it's open 24 hours as far as I know.

Maybe, on their website it said 6pm I think. I could be wrong.

Is accommodation for say 3/4 weeks hard to come by? Let's say in January.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am doing this at the moment while out in the 4 Vallées for a week. In an apartment with a 25Mbps wired link and secure, unshared WiFi. Basically putting in two days billable work for the four working days (and Weekend) I'm here. Using the dining table as a desk. My client has said that they're happy for me to work remotely - it's nothing different to permanent staff they have who only come in to the office occasionally.

After trekking 2 hours to their offices last week for a meeting, I had the bizarre experience of it turning into a conference-call with three other people who were in the same building ..... so , frankly, being in Switzerland is no different to being on the floor above. Or even across the same office.

Your own apartment with unshared, wired broadband is obviously the ideal. I wouldn't want to be in a hotel anyway. I've done this before here, and the rental agency in the village was happy to print out some stuff that needed to be on paper (as long as it wasn't ridiculous volume).

Most websites don't show an option for discounted, longer stays. But as an owner, I sometimes get queries from our agency as to whether I'd do a discounted rate for a longer rental. So just contact an agency and ask. Make sure you emphasise it must have a reliable broadband link, preferably dedicated to the apartment, and I'd say at least 8Mbps. Do some research so you know the going rate for 4x1 weeks and then look for a discount - in my experience this has been about 20-30% on the part of the client doing the enquiry. If it's the off-peak period, then many clients would rather have 4 weeks of guaranteed rental, even it it's at a discount.

If you do go for it, it might be worth buying yourself one of those portable, 1-page printers, just in case. There are times in my work when it's just easier to have something printed rather than constantly having to re-stack windows.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 9-12-18 15:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And don’t forget a phone plan that allows you unlimited calls, for those inevitable hour long conference calls.

I’m about to start a trial run shortly.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In my case, the client has provided me with a hardened laptop for security reasons, which includes Cisco IP telephone. So I have an internal extension number - they don't even know they're ringing me abroad. I find some clients are happy to provide a laptop that they know is a secure build with disabled peripherals etc. to avoid the risk of a BYO laptop being insecure. What you don't want is a VDI session at any distance: my experience with a client's VDI on my own laptop is that it was OK for simple email reading/writing, but the latency was hopeless for any document editing or presentation, graphics etc.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 9-12-18 15:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I did several conference calls last winter while still wearing my ski boots.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Funnily enough, I work for a Swiss company but work primarily with their US office. I don't want to work from their Swiss office I'd rather stay remote.

All my calls are via Skype or VMR so I don't need a phone for calls, just good Internet. They have also provided me with a laptop and I connect to their VPN through that.

What resorts would be the best bet to give me the best chance of finding an apartment and good Internet?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You'll probably need to subscribe to your own internet access. Shared access in apartment blocks etc is often pretty dodgy.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As for timing, the nicest time for your plan (in France at any rate) would probably be from the end of the French holidays (9 March) until the end of the season. That's all low season for rentals. Alternatively last three weeks of January/first week of February. Should be eminently doable. Chamonix sounds good.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well, if where I am (La Tzoumaz in the Verbier 4 Vallées) is anything to go by, then most of the Valais resorts have good broadband (in our area, provided by Net+). Trouble is there's a price premium up the mountain, so owners opt for cheaper/lower tariffs than they do at home, understandably. So the base here is 12 Mbps which I find rather slow.

I'm spoiled at home on the South Coast of England as I get standard 'real' 352Mbps fibre to the house. Hence I pay the premium for 25Mbps in the apartment, even though we're not here more than a couple of months a year in all. But the link is wired - not a shared WiFi router, so the throughput is close to the nominal rate.

Main thing I think is to be certain that you're getting a good wired dedicated broadband link. If it's in the Valais, you could say you want somewhere with a Net+ wired connection at least 25Mbps. Not sure what the equivalent would be for areas like Chamonix - I'm sure other members will post.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 9-12-18 15:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
pam w wrote:
As for timing, the nicest time for your plan (in France at any rate) would probably be from the end of the French holidays (9 March) until the end of the season. That's all low season for rentals. Alternatively last three weeks of January/first week of February.

Or do both.
snow report
Indeed!
snow report
British friends who live down the road here (near Annecy) run a software company with mainly UK clients. Their 4G signal is so good that they’ve ditched their Orange landline completely. On the other hand, thanks to some inconvenient geography, mobile network signals at our place 2 km away are rubbish - bloody mountains!
I should imagine any ski resorts of any size will have the connectivity you seek, just watch out for local anomalies like ours.
snow conditions
Somewhere like The Ski Locker in Chamonix seems ideal. Guaranteed Internet etc., plus I have a community to plug into from the start. Now to try and find accommodation! I want to go in January, until the school holidays start. I already have a trip booked with friends to Ischgl for the first week of March.
latest report
I do this, often working 2-3 days a week from Tignes all year round.
We live here but I know of others who rent accommodation.
No internet problems as we have our own line.
Our team is scattered between Australia, India, parts of the UK, Greece
and anywhere with a decent internet connection.
Probably easier to pick a ski area and fine tune your search from there.
January is probably a good time to look for an extended stay as it's between the
school and uni hols period = lower prices.
When considering an apartment though, do be wary of some buildings having
a lot of noise from other guests. Avoid shared internet - speed, privacy etc.
snow report
I've been doing it since 2007 or thereabouts.

Initially rented 4 weeks after the French hols as people have mentioned.

Back then no 4g and I did rack up big mobile bills (all tax deductible), we use to go to various Cafe's and a bowling alley when I needed rock solid access but those too had their problems and could be frustrating.

When we bought (2013) internet was the first thing on the list, and it's not at all quick.

The biggest tip I can offer: when I want to move download/upload big files I hop on to my PC at home in the UK from France via TeamViewer and do it via my home PC Cool

I do find at high season internet speeds go down as valley population probably increases twentyfold.

Though again as people have said, 4g is pretty good in places.

I certainly do not work full time as I am nigh on retired but I do still have four or five clients I still do a fair wack for plus running my OH's site (in signature below).

I also find that there are some irksome caching issues with Orange.

But can't complain about the lifestyle Cool

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 9-12-18 20:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@conor90, I'm in IT and work remotely, so I do this for a couple of weeks every year. Most places have wifi anyway ( either wired or subsciption) and as pointed out above a 4g mifi/dongle , or piggyback of your work phone works fine as well, I've never had any problems with connectivity.

My main problem is the apartment is right on the piste, and in the evening during conference calls I get the damn piste bashers coming past, beeping away. That *does* take a little bit of explaining away Very Happy
snow report
I work remote a lot (I'm a software engineer), I've recently dropped a days work from my day job, so I can concentrate on a business I've started to basically enable me to do what you want to do (primary reason though, is for being around my family more).

When I work remote, I've done it from elsewhere in the UK, coffee shops (though not keen on that), at my fathers - co-working spaces (again not keen when I have tight deliverables, unless I can get a private desk) and most of the time from my home office.

For me, it's pretty important to have a dual monitor setup and depending if I'm writing apps or not - my macbook with me... which makes for two laptops to lug around. I've yet to sort out remote access for mac based development, but it's on the list of things for me to do. You may wish to consider what kind of remote (from you) resource you may need, if any and plan appropriately.
snow report
You may want to consider taxes if you are actually physically doing your business in another country...as this is generally illegal
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
You may want to consider taxes if you are actually physically doing your business in another country...as this is generally illegal

No it's not. Ask Amazon, Google etc Toofy Grin

He's almost certainly using a UK Ltd Company.
latest report
Quote:

You pay taxes in the country in which you are resident. Given it is only working in France for 3 or 4 weeks I am not liable to pay tax there, and it is not illegal.
snow report
I'm working remotely from Val d'Isere for the season and will be primarily based in the apartment I've rented. I've set up dual screens, dock etc and it seems to be working out ok so far. If I get bored from the view from my window, I might occasionally decide on some of the mountain restaurants for a change on quieter days Laughing

Regarding internet, mat apartment didn't have any and trying to get phone lines and then internet commissioned ahead of arrival was a right PITA. At the moment, I've been using 4G. Tethering was OK but I have been using my SIM in a 4G router and that has been much better. Most of my calls are via Lync/Skype or using the Avaya soft phone with no noticeable difference. We'll see what it's like when the resort gets busier, thinking whiteout during half term week will be when all my bandwidth will disappear Evil or Very Mad

Free and RED (by SFR) both have 100GB for €20 a month and Sosh (by Orange) 50GB for €10 for first 12 months. Again, these are a right faff to get as you need bank accounts etc.

Go for it and good luck. snowHead
ski holidays
conor90 wrote:
Quote:

You pay taxes in the country in which you are resident. Given it is only working in France for 3 or 4 weeks I am not liable to pay tax there, and it is not illegal.

Be careful of that. I've just looked into this and I'm about to work for a Swiss company with a separate German manufacturing company. I will be running EMEA and most of Asia but living in Scotland. For the Swiss company to employ me it is simple if ALL orders go through Ch to Germany.
If I was to place all orders in Germany and the company have a PE (permanent existence) in Germany then the German tax authority would be looking for tax.

HMRC will give you a tax credit if dual taxation comes into play. EG if the tax in the country is 20% then HMRC will take th difference. If the tax in the employing country is 60% (more than UK) you will still get he tax credit but no rebate.

So even though I'm PAYE I've still received my SA250 Self Assessment notification.

If working as a self employed agent for more than one client is possible then this is more simple.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have my own place, Check.
I can work remote, Check.
My director is happy for me to do it, Check.
I can work split EU/US hours, Check.
Wife happy for me to do it, Houston we have a problem!!!!!
snow report
Been doing this since we bought back in 2004. Only issue can be if there is a cracking storm (more summer than winter) and you can get power issues. We used to have to unplug the wifi router. Took us a while to think about surge protectors rolling eyes I work with Asia, though which means getting up very early indeed and on busy days not being able to get out until 10/11, so you are very lucky indeed.
latest report
I'm a European Sales Director for a software company. All but one of my staff are on Central European Time and my boss is based in the USA.

I work from home. Most of the time home is Scotland, but sometimes I work out of our French apartment where the WiFi & an internet connection that is around 8Mb is perfectly adequate for day to day work and Skype calls. I've duplicated everything I can such as laptop charger and Skype headsets, so I can travel with just my laptop.

And sometimes I bunk off for a morning a get a few hours skiing in before my American boss surfaces Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Don’t know about prices but this place in Verbier looks really nice https://mountain-hub.com
ski holidays
I have been thinking of doing this for a month over winter. Prob left it a bit late for this winter however. Interesting reading. I WFH 5 days a week so being in the UK or at a resort would really make no difference. But if I think about it I would only get about eight extra days skiing in over a month, so it would probably just be cheaper to take two one week holidays, although a change of location for a month would be good. Decisions....
latest report
Quote:

Be careful of that. I've just looked into this and I'm about to work for a Swiss company with a separate German manufacturing company. I will be running EMEA and most of Asia but living in Scotland. For the Swiss company to employ me it is simple if ALL orders go through Ch to Germany.
If I was to place all orders in Germany and the company have a PE (permanent existence) in Germany then the German tax authority would be looking for tax.

HMRC will give you a tax credit if dual taxation comes into play. EG if the tax in the country is 20% then HMRC will take th difference. If the tax in the employing country is 60% (more than UK) you will still get he tax credit but no rebate.

So even though I'm PAYE I've still received my SA250 Self Assessment notification.

If working as a self employed agent for more than one client is possible then this is more simple.

I appreciate the advice, but essentially I'll be taking a three to four week holiday and doing a bit of work - I am confident there isn't a risk of me getting into any trouble tax wise.

I need a good internet connection for more than just calls though. I connect into a server through the VPN and run all my code from there - so this needs to be stable and pretty good. That's why I'm thinking somewhere like The Ski Locker is the way to go.
snow conditions
@conor90, though if you are using something RDP to connect to the server and running of that server this is very economical with its network usage as all it is sending to your machine is the image it is sending to the monitor. You aren’t copying any files / data across your connection working in that way.
snow report
conor90 wrote:
Quote:

The tax residency rules are complex and not just up to the individual to decide though. As a basic but not fixed rule if you spend 6 months or more of the year in the country you are a tax resident and there are frontalier and detached workers rights. I can't see a few weeks remote working is going to be an issue as you say, especially as you are clearly on a ski break.

For France the following tests apply, if you are covered by any one you may be considered a tax resident.

i. is it your main residence?
ii. are you exercising a professional activity, salaried or not and this is your principal activity?
iii. do you economic interests in France (like you own a ski apartment !)?

but, a French resident can live in France and work in Germany (where he travels every day) and will pay tax in Germany and will also, normally pay social contributions in Germany but can elect to pay in France instead (but not be asked for both).

The problem is for someone who is working remotely. If via a UK Ltd co then while the money stays within the Ltd co that's one thing but if they pay themselves PAYE or dividends they could be liable for French tax - particularly dividends which would be subject to social contributions in France.

Of course they have to catch you, and here is a heads up for snowheads. From the 1st of January 2019 the French taxman will be using social media as well as other means to track tax dodgers. There is a new
system in place to help with these cases.

For example. You have an address in France

1. do gas, electricity, water records indicate that you are living here full time (ie. more than 6 months)?
2. is the address declared as a principal or secondary address?
3. if a secondary address why are you living there full time?
-- then records from sites like Strava can be checked - do you have an account? is someone recording activities starting at your address? on what days etc? (a murderer was recently caught in France in part by using Strava)
4. if you appear to be resident, are you making a tax return / paying tax?
-- lets check facebook, twitter etc ah you've just posted a trip to Tibet, how did you pay for that?
-- can we find any other online traces of this person? ISP records etc?

This in addition to all the other information exchanged by tax authorities. For example your BTL empire in the North of England or that bank account in Jersey.
latest report
No doubt.

I have a few UK companies which I muck about with when at ski resorts or beaches around the world. Broadly the tax man doesn't care where I am so long as I pay up. I'm sure I've employed people in the UK who've lived in France, not that I'd really know - they all have a UK residential address and are employed here. I doubt they're obliged to tell me where they work from. If they're not smart enough to be "citizens of nowhere" I can't use them anyway wink

If any immigration people ask you if you're there to work, those questions need to be answered with knowledge of the context: "no". Don't give them any scent of anything.

I play with my machine anywhere I like. By the pool is good for surf, or by the fire for snowboard. Noise cancelling headphones can be useful if they're playing xmas music or droning on. If I expect to be out of wifi distance then I'll need to plan a stand-alone set-up (eg a local database etc) before I go.

For me the main issue is system security. I need to plan for what happens if my machine is stolen from some third-world hotel room with a toy door lock and no safe. Short answer: encrypt everything (it buys time); use FIDO2; don't leave keys anywhere obvious; know what type of machine shut-down you're doing; have separate secure plans for what to do once the worst happens. Sync often.

Some third-world places have dodgy internet infrastructure and are too risky for some types of interactions, but you can plan for that in advance.
ski holidays
@philwig, we aren’t allowed to take our work machines to France due to the encryption I use on them, not being allowed there.
latest report
BMG wrote:
I have been thinking of doing this for a month over winter. Prob left it a bit late for this winter however. Interesting reading. I WFH 5 days a week so being in the UK or at a resort would really make no difference. But if I think about it I would only get about eight extra days skiing in over a month, so it would probably just be cheaper to take two one week holidays, although a change of location for a month would be good. Decisions....

Yeah, I'm not sure it really works if you're just going to work as normal during the day and then only ski at the weekends. If you could adjust your hours slighly so that you squeeze in a couple of hours skiing per day, plus weekends then it could work.
snow report
NickyJ wrote:
@philwig, we aren’t allowed to take our work machines to France due to the encryption I use on them, not being allowed there.
I visit France now and then.

Some analysis from 1998. They never enforced these for tourists/ business visitors in my experience.
France changed their laws around 1999.
Wikipedia says they had liberalised those laws by 2004.

It's quite hard to find the latest situation, but I'd say thousands of people every day from within the EU and also from elsewhere travel into France with Bitlocker or VeraCrypt active.

It's possible that a company would not want people to take their gear abroad for lots of valid reasons, and their IT people may be "summarising" those, or they may be very old people wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy