Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cairngorm this weekend?

Poster: A snowHead
Given the current conditions we're thinking about a trip this weekend. Thing is, last time I was in Cairngorm they had a limited supply of rental gear, and stopped selling lift tickets at about 0930 to keep the numbers on the hill down.

Due to a number of cock-ups (gf has an all-day job interview in Doncaster friday, my rock skis are at my parents house meaning a detour) we may end up getting to Cairngorm at 1030 ish saturday morning and may need some hire gear. Any scottish locals know if this is going to be a problem?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You may get a quicker reply over at winterhighland, in the forums

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/list.php?2

If I was you I'd drive up Friday night, maybe stop over at a travelodge north of Glasgow, then get cracking early Sat am!

Good luck, looks potentially very good up there!

regards,

Greg
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Plake. You need to keep an eye on factors which could affect this:

1. Whether the A9 is clear
2. Whether the ski access road is clear
3. Whether (as you say) the mountain is blitzed by demand

I'd keep The Lecht and Glenshee as options. Cairngorm's capacity is not what it was, due to lifts being taken out of service. Sadly.

Greg's right, that you really need to be up there overnight to be up the hill really early and catch your luck.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Plake, I don't think you'll need your rock skis if you're heading for Cairngorm !

I don't think they'll limit ticket sales but the Cas car park might be full in which case you'll end up in the Ciste car park and being bussed round Sad

You could stop for hire gear at Ski Road Skis at Inverdruie, not far after you turn up the ski road.

I would consider heading for Nevis, it's as quick to get to as Cairngorm if you head for Dalwhinnie on the A9, over to Laggan and down the A86. They've got the full 2000' vertical open and are reporting good skiing,

http://www.nevisrange.co.uk/winter/mountain/conditions.asp

It will definitely be quieter and I think you've got a slightly better chance of decent overhead. Having said that, the Gorm has definitely caught more of this week's fluffy stuff.

I'm weighing up the conditions vs divorce scenario, it's my parents in laws' ruby wedding anniversary this weekend Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Brian, not sure I'd agree with recommending West coast vs the East, I don't think the west has caught any of the recent snow, compared to what looks like compared with waist deep drifts on the 'gorm!!
snow report
 brian
brian
gregh, I've been watching the radar. Nevis has caught some snow and on-piste will be nice.

However, you're right, I would imagine Cairngorm will be skiable anywhere. But if you can't get there till 10.30, need a bus to get round to the Cas, etc. Nevis might be a better option to make the most of the day.

Plus if the cloud is down, which is more likely at the Gorm, it will be skiing by touch only, which is always entertaining Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
just seen the webcams from Cairngorm, guess today looks like the best day of the season!!!
snow conditions
 brian
brian
gregh, can't believe I'm stuck in Reading Sad

Home tonight though, I think a cheeky wee Friday off may be required ....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tell me about it! I'm due in Bracknell/Reading next week, then I have a 2 day meeting in Glasgow, I cannot see how to get a sneaky day on the hills, esp as Thursday is my daughters birthday!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are photos of Nevis Range today (Thurs) up on Winterhighland now at http://www.winterhighland.info/2006/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=211

Jamie was attempting to get to CairnGorm with the aid of ScotRail last I head, so try HighlandInstinct later tonight and there maybe some pics of the gorm up, by all accounts the best day since late nov/early dec, maybe even better.

It is going to be an epic weekend, snow is lying at low levels and making the national news, so that will awaken interest, esp with the Winter Olympics having just wound up. If your heading to the 'Gorm or the Lecht get there early to get in the main carparks, if you are wishing to hire gear definately get up the mountains early, or alternatively hire off mountain wherever you are going.

I wouldn't be suprised if we see a repeat of scenes of Sun 29th Feb 2004 at the Lecht this weekend, if they get to the stage of parking on the A939 please give some thought to the fact this is a not insignficant through road, please do not park in the gaps left in the parking lines to allow oncoming traffic to pass, on that day in 2004 people thought it would be a good idea to park in these spaces, leaving a good 1/2mile plus with no space for oncoming traffic to pass.... think before you park! Mind you the road rage on display from irrate drivers who meet oncoming traffic and had to reverse for ages was good enterainment value while waiting for the Harrier Poma!! Laughing Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Winterhighland, Nevis looks brilliant! No pix yet of Cairngorm today.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Glencoe was quite good today...allegedly

Main Basin
Flypaper - upper
Flypaper - lower

(skier+boarder Joe 90'd in case they were expected at work today snowHead )
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
check the queues this morning....

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,58057,page=5

regards,

Greg
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Argh! Wish I could go to Scotland!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
All lifts from the Cas Carpark will run so for good skiers and boarders getting up from the Carpark shouldn't be too bad for queues, but the ticket office will probably be another story, so get there early. If there was a time for the Ciste Chair and ticket office being open this weekend is it... There should be 16 operating lifts on the Gorm this weekend... enough said Crying or Very sad
latest report
Possibly wait till next weekend for better conditions? A nice birthday treat for me!
snow report
We'll be up there, trying not to think about the early , early start from Edinburgh though.

I'll have a snowheads sticker on my helmet or board.
latest report
halfhand, You can never count on that in Scotland - go when you can! I hate to be a misery guts, but it can all disappear overnight - that's why i finally left - got tired of the disappointments. Sad However - on a good day it's as good as anywhere in the world and a lot more special than most. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
And the guys (and girls) working up there are the nicest people you will meet on the slopes!
snow conditions
Today at the gorm was one of the best (anywhere in the world) I've had.

Deep untracked powder and the queues were surprisingly bearable as they'd opened up nearly all the terrain.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
prog99 - really thrilled to hear that!

I remember skiing up there on a May 1st with those kinds of conditions. I wish I could remember which year - must have been late 70s/early 80s. A really great day on Cairngorm is a memory to really treasure, especially when the off-piste really opens up widely with great snow conditions (so rare).
ski holidays
Was at the Gorm yesterday with Prog99. Totally awesome day Very Happy

Snowblades in the morning, which, in the powder resulted in my quads feeling
like they'd done an entire week by 1:30pm!! I *never* thought I'd complain
about too much powder in Scotland but yesterday was the deepest snow I've
ever skied in!

I resorted to the snowboard after lunch. I am a beginner boarder (1 full
day and 3 half days over the past 5 years). I started off at the Ptarmigan
area but spent more time trying to dig myself out than actually moving.
I then decided to follow Prog99 down the East Lady/White Lady. Prog99
was understandably concerned as my last experience on the board resulted
in a stuffed ankle after crashing getting off a chairlift in Tignes. Anyways,
I made it down without any problems and managed to link my first ever
turns Toofy Grin which was a pretty amazing feeling Little Angel, I even managed to
link some turns on the home road (a flatish green run where the chances
are you'll catch an edge it will hurt) so I am now well chuffed and hoping
there's still enough snow for another outing next weekend.

Truly one of the best days I've ever had Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fiona, Glad you had such a good one - you need skis, not blades wink wink wink wink

BTW I was the first ski instructor on Caringorm to snowboard! There were snowboarders, but no instructors doing it! That was a long time ago and on a "proper" alpine board!
snow conditions
easiski wrote:
Fiona, Glad you had such a good one - you need skis, not blades wink wink wink wink

I know...but even with the huge amount of snow I wasn't going to let my Volkl Supersport 5's
go down the Gorm wink. I have a pair of sacrificial blades for Scottish use - usually the runs
are narrow and rocks need to be hopped so the blades are ideal.
latest report
 brian
brian
Fiona, Stuart at the Blues repair shop down at Tiso's at Leith can work wonders on your bases snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy