Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Footbeds. To custom or not to Custom?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I am looking to add footbeds to my Atonomic Ultra ski boots.

The question is has anyone had any success with off the shelf footbeds like super feet and does anyone know makes and models suitable for narrow feet?

Or is it worth taking on the extra expense and getting a custom footbed done?

This will be my first trip with these new boots, I did get arch pain after 1 hour of skiing. I am doing plantar ligament stretches exercises daily but I think I would rather not risk have sore, numb feet all trip and pay now, save in the long run.

Cheers

Ste
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I got off the shelf & wasnt good for me (superfeet red)
Decided to get customs & now get new customs whenever i get new boots.

My 1st customs i had done in bansko & was only £40!
I still have my old ones & use one in my work shoes & other pair in my trainers.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Would you not get the same effect with memory foam insoles?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Probably depends how wonky your feet are! I use superfeet and they’re good for me but I have fairly ‘standard’ feet!
Superfeet website tells you what colour to buy for foot shape.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@s.t.h.21, Its a classic "It depends" question. I know expert skiers who have skied perfectly in hire boots for 2 weeks without issue, whereas other like myself have to have foam injected boots with custom footbeds.

As for recommendations, since you already know you suffered foot pain in your previous boots (I assume rental), it really depends how well your new boots were fitted. Its really a question of spending a little now on a standard footbed and risk spending more if they don't work, or spending more now and hopefully get it right first time.

If you do go for a custom footbed, make sure you make an appointment, so you get a dedicated un-rushed service.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mr.Egg wrote:

Just got custom foot beds made here in Briançon for LynnX, €190 Shocked
Luckily it was on prescription after an injury, but even so........
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
KenX wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

Just got custom foot beds made here in Briançon for LynnX, €190 Shocked
Luckily it was on prescription after an injury, but even so........

Ouch!
The guy who done my ones in bulgaria had all ski photos of him in the national team. Soles was Sidas. Had Superfeet done back home for £90
I prefer the sidas in my trainers but superfeet in my shoes!
Currently have superfeet in my snowboard boots.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
s.t.h.21 wrote:

The question is has anyone had any success with off the shelf footbeds like super feet and does anyone know makes and models suitable for narrow feet?

This will be my first trip with these new boots, I did get arch pain after 1 hour of skiing. I am doing plantar ligament stretches exercises daily but I think I would rather not risk have sore, numb feet all trip and pay now, save in the long run.

Cheers

Ste

What did the boot fitter recommend when you bought the boots? After all, he's the professional and the one who's seen your feet.
If you haven't already seen a professional boot fitter, do so. Take your new boots to show him and ask him the question (and hope the first thing he says isn't that you've bought the wrong boots).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Definitely get custom footbeds.

The closer your foot is molded to the boot, the faster it will transmit your instructions to the ski.

If your foot still aches after a custom footbed, go see a doc. It is often an early sign of bloodflow disease.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm for getting them custom molded.

Was deeply sceptical of money-for-old-thermosetting-plastic sales pitches, couldn't have been more wrong in my case.

Don't particularly have problem feet but do have high arches that come way off anything in the way of standard footbed inserts.

Since properly supported within the boots everything work's as it should. They're old now but been worth every pound they cost.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It really depends on your feet/legs and also what you consider a non-custom orthotic/insole.
I have skied, boarded, hiked and mountaineered for years with off the shelf Orthoheel insoles, but I know what I want to correct and support and how to modify them if needed.
I have had 4 sets of custom footbeds made for ski boots and 1 set for walking boots. The latter (Sidas) were no better than Orthaheel, arguably worse, but cost a fortune, despite being made by a reputable UK walking/skiing shop. 1 of the ski sets is usable once I messed a bit more with it, 2 were expensive useless garbage, 1 set (reinforced Sidas) are pretty good (after I had the shop reheat them twice to get the support I needed) but weren't properly finished so didn't fit in the boots properly.
Ultimately my view is that a really good set of custom insoles, properly made and fitted and finished, are well worth it, especially if reinforced so they can't lose support over time: but like boots it's pot luck if they're really made with enough skill to be able to help you (even by a trained reputable fitter). If you don't have known problems you may not notice if there's an issue anyway.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
impossible question to answer until the person working on the boots sees your feet, we nearly always recommend a custom device as we want precise transmission of movement form the foot to the ski, the type of device then depends on the foot and the boot it is going into, it is more of a worry that your boot fitter did not discuss this with you, if the foundation of the fitting wasn't discussed, did they do a shell check?, talk about the reasons for selection of the boot, tell you about the fairly unique plastics used on the Hawx Ultra

all too often a store will only offer one model of custom product, to give the best service they need to have numerous options from at least one brand or more so that there is a suitable insole available for each foot type/ footwear type they are working with.

the old excuse of "this is the only one we need because it is custom" doesn't really work any more, sure, the shape is custom but the stability and cut and structure may not work for the foot or the boot it is being used with.

finally it is not all about the product, as @Grizzler found out some are good some are bad, mostly, at the end of the day, down to the monkey grinding the crank
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes the foot is a pretty complex piece of your body, how it is supported, moves etc really needs a pro to assess if causing pain.

If a guy working in an outdoor shop makes a custom footbed and that solves your problem then frankly that was pot luck. I wouldn't be prepared to drop 100 quid plus on that.

If you do want to take a punt the main thing is to try to work out if you have low arches, high arches or freak of nature high arches like me. The sofsol Fit series works very well for me but then I know I don't have any excessive valgus varus type issues to correct so off the shelf works fine. Good luck, foot pain sucks!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Albasnow, not all guys working in an outdoor/ski shop are just guys working in an outdoor/ski shop... just sayin' Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sugarmoma666 wrote:
s.t.h.21 wrote:

Cheers

Ste

What did the boot fitter recommend when you bought the boots? After all, he's the professional and the one who's seen your feet.
If you haven't already seen a professional boot fitter, do so. Take your new boots to show him and ask him the question (and hope the first thing he says isn't that you've bought the wrong boots).

The boot fitter at Snow and Rock did not mention the footbeds. He did say i had overall narrow but average looking feet haha. I have another hour session booked for this Thursday. As i have been wearing the boots around the house with minimal pain i will see how i get on.
latest report
Wearing boots walking around a warm house is completely different to wearing them clipped into skis on a cold mountain. I’m not sure it’s really a worthwhile thing to do...but CEM would know better than me.
ski holidays
CEM wrote:
impossible question to answer until the person working on the boots sees your feet, we nearly always recommend a custom device as we want precise transmission of movement form the foot to the ski, the type of device then depends on the foot and the boot it is going into, it is more of a worry that your boot fitter did not discuss this with you, if the foundation of the fitting wasn't discussed, did they do a shell check?, talk about the reasons for selection of the boot, tell you about the fairly unique plastics used on the Hawx Ultra

all too often a store will only offer one model of custom product, to give the best service they need to have numerous options from at least one brand or more so that there is a suitable insole available for each foot type/ footwear type they are working with.

the old excuse of "this is the only one we need because it is custom" doesn't really work any more, sure, the shape is custom but the stability and cut and structure may not work for the foot or the boot it is being used with.

finally it is not all about the product, as @Grizzler found out some are good some are bad, mostly, at the end of the day, down to the monkey grinding the crank

Hi CEM, yes I got all that got done. Foot measurements and shell checks using multiple boots. I did get sore arches and cold feet on a indoor slope so it maybe worth investing in some foot beds. I am at the indoor slope thursday so will have a word with Snow and Rock
snow report
I had my footbed done at Sole Boot Lab in Cham over 10 years ago and the last time I got new piste boots the fitter had a good look and told me that they are still fitting my feet fine. And as he fits a lot of the WC circuit skiers and teams he definitely knows his stuff. Five years later and I still have no issues with them.
ski holidays
s.t.h.21 wrote:
This will be my first trip with these new boots

Did you own another pair before these. Did you have customs or not with those? How did you get on?
snow report
Layne wrote:
s.t.h.21 wrote:

Did you own another pair before these. Did you have customs or not with those? How did you get on?

No these are my first pair of owned boots. I am newbie to Skiing. January just gone was my first trip so I used rentals but had to swap them 3 times before I was happyish with a pair.
snow report
I got some boot doc (BD) off-the-shelf insoles (high arch) which are heat mouldable. They seem fine. Never had custom insoles though so can’t compare.
latest report
Themasterpiece wrote:
I got some boot doc (BD) off-the-shelf insoles (high arch) which are heat mouldable. They seem fine. Never had custom insoles though so can’t compare.

They sell BD at sports direct for Like £10. I have my feet measured previously so should have a record of my arch type somewhere. Cheers for that Very Happy
snow conditions
s.t.h.21 wrote:
Layne wrote:
s.t.h.21 wrote:

No these are my first pair of owned boots. I am newbie to Skiing. January just gone was my first trip so I used rentals but had to swap them 3 times before I was happyish with a pair.

I am on my third pair. My advice is splash the cash and do the job properly.

If you think ski boots will last 150 days if you spend £300 that is £2 a day. If you spend another £150 on beds and other modifications that ups it to £3 a day. But the difference can be massive.

Also make sure you know how to put on and buckle properly. There was a good thread on here a couple of days ago with good video links.

Painful/cold feet will come of ill fitting boots or not putting them on properly.
snow conditions
I'm lucky to have “normal” shaped feet. Which was probably why I was able to wear rental boots and later my own boots without any aftermarket footbeds - or problems - on ski trips over about (gulp) twenty years. For the next (even bigger gulp) twenty years I have used custom moulded footbeds and still have warm painfree feet. What I also have now is far more control and connection to my skis than I ever thought possible in my “youth”. So... if you’re going to get footbeds, why on earth try and save a few quid with some off the shelf things that will be a complete gamble. Get some custom moulded ones.
latest report
I rang up snow and rock today. 80 quid for customs compared to 40 quid for off the shelf heat treatment ones. And with the added bonus of control I think I will invest. No matter if I don't suffer tomorrow on the indoor slope.
Thanks for all you info guys. I will let you all know how I fair after my trip in January
ski holidays
@gvj, I would submit that for the first 20 years you were in boots that were slightly too big! (most people are).
snow conditions
@under a new name, you probably wouldn’t be wrong there Very Happy
latest report
I have custom foot beds in my ski and my snowboard boots. Both are super comfy. The ski boots were done by Ellis Brigham in Covent Garden and are really good.

The Snowboard boots were done by Nevada Sports in Tignes and are even better. Although both formed on the same suction machines, the snowboard boot footbeds had a bit of hand shaping too and create more of a dip for the balls of my feet, relative to my toes. These are in a different league of comfort and control, but were nearly €200.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So finally took the plunge on some custom footbeds. The arch pain went as i got accustomed to the boot and i think i was waering them to tight. But i am abit of a punter so I thought if it brings any subtle improvement in performance. Why not!

I have heard they hurt the first time you wear them. Man they hurt!! I Hope it is a case of my foot getting used to the support and not me blowing 70 quid on footbeds.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@gvj, I would submit that for the first 20 years you were in boots that were slightly too big! (most people are).

Been there, got that t-shirt. Like a lot of folk for a long time I used rental boots and high street fitted boots. Surprise none of them fitted. Anya & Nick at Mountain Air in Verbier sorted me out, sized down into racing boots with a few punches and some custom foot beds I've never enjoyed my skiing as much as I do now.
latest report
s.t.h.21 wrote:
So finally took the plunge on some custom footbeds. The arch pain went as i got accustomed to the boot and i think i was waering them to tight. But i am abit of a punter so I thought if it brings any subtle improvement in performance. Why not!

I have heard they hurt the first time you wear them. Man they hurt!! I Hope it is a case of my foot getting used to the support and not me blowing 70 quid on footbeds.

They shouldn't hurt. That's the whole point.

You could be well be wearing your boots too tight. Watch
this video

If there are "pinch points" causing the pain you may need to have the shell modified.
ski holidays
Quote:

Recent experience in a hire shop:

My son was using an old pair of my boots size 26 but doubtless a bit packed out. I have medium width forefoot and narrow heel. He is narrow throughout the foot. He'd skied in them before and got on OK but on the firm pistes at NY he felt that he couldn't keep good edge control. I didn't want to buy him boots until he stops growing so we thought we'd try renting.

They measured him in the shop and he came up between 25.5 and 26 as far as I could see - I thought fair enough, given he is narrow and the boots are a shade big I can see the problem.
The shop assistant came back with a pair of boots in size..... 27. I told him they were far too big, he said lets try, my son did - every clip to the max and said "they are far too big".
He then came back with 26.5 - too big. 26 - too big. 25.5 - better but too wide a last "you did notice he has narrow feet?". Ultimately we did find something a bit better than my old boots but not brilliant.

A couple of weeks ago I found a pair of 2nd hand Lange RS90 25.5 on ebay. Bought them for £64 delivered (1.5 weeks rental). They are a junior race boot with 97mm last. Tried them on at home last weekend. "Yes dad these are much better".

I actually like the shop we were hiring from. They've done work on my wife's boots and friends' boots. They have sold boots to friends who have been very happy. They've given us good advice on other gear. Over the years though I have just had far too much poor advice on ski boots from a variety of shops.

It's no wonder so many people are in boots that are too big. Too many shops just want you to leave as quickly as possible with something that is not uncomfortable.
snow report
BTW on the original topic

I have custom footbeds but I have slightly odd alignment in one foot. Think it is horses for courses. Years ago when my wife and I both were fitted in Sole Bootlabs they recommended me a custom footbed but said my wife was fine with superfeet.

I have been using superfeet in my running shoes and hiking boots - I think they are bloody good.
snow conditions
@s.t.h.21,

If you have 4 clip boots, I'd suggest clipping the first two VERY lightly. I suspect you may be squashing your foot down onto the footbed. See if that helps then tighten up the second clip a little once you have settled in to the boots (i.e. after a few runs).
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
@s.t.h.21,

If you have 4 clip boots, I'd suggest clipping the first two VERY lightly. I suspect you may be squashing your foot down onto the footbed. See if that helps then tighten up the second clip a little once you have settled in to the boots (i.e. after a few runs).

Hi Jedster,
Took your advice. Worked a treat! And love the custom footbeds. Really helped me too keep my weight forward with the heel raise
ski holidays
excellent - always good to learn from other people's past mistakes!
ski holidays
Just to chip in on custom footbeds:

I've had decent ones (from Nevada Sports in Tignes) in ski boots for years and SuperFeet Green in snowboard boots. Last trip I moved the custom footbeds into my snowboard boots and boy what a difference!

Not so much in comfort but in the feeling of control. Previously I was forever tightening the snowboard boots, but with the custom insoles I can board with the boots almost undone. Feels like I'm controlling the board with soles of my feet (like surfing) rather than cranking it around with my shins/highback.

Brought about the biggest progression in my riding for a very long time.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy