Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot dryers

Poster: A snowHead
Are there any boot dryers please fellow SnowHeads - the small portable type, not the big things in boot rooms - which have very low heat, even cool air settings?? (I'm well aware that hot air is widely thought to cause deformity to liners). Thanks, have a jolly good season!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
there is that sock type that supposed to be very good
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JFD3K16/ref=asc_df_B07JFD3K1657339555/?tag=amz07b-21&creative=22146&creativeASIN=B07JFD3K16&linkCode=df0&hvadid=311137623728&hvpos=1o15&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2350184961232289286&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045385&hvtargid=pla-580787453889

them things
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/lenz-boot-glove-warmers/lenz-boot-glove-warmer-detail.html

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 9-12-18 16:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I use the type that look like vibrators Shocked . They don't use air, they just warm up. Takes overnight to do the job but they are very good, light weight and compact.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I use the type that look like vibrators Shocked . They don't use air, they just warm up. Takes overnight to do the job but they are very good, light weight and compact.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon wrote:
https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/thermic-boot-glove-warmers/thermic-boot-glove-warmer-detail.html

Spyderjon, sorry, that link isn't working for me... Am interested to see what this is... Thanks.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@AG, I have the dryers in @spyderjon's link (link works for me btw), they are good and the heat is def promoted as low enough to not deform liner. I only bought them as a way of softening my wife's boots enough to get her fused joint into a well fitted boot.

For drying I use a readily available cold air blower (I'll look for a link in a sec), it's not really portable though (about the size of a domestic blow heater). I really think they are the best solution (cold air) so long as the ambient environment is not arctic (like a cellar say) and you are happy to have them going for 8-12hrs (we leave in living room overnight whilst in bed).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Mr.Egg, I have them things but having tried 'em several times overnight in ski boots, have found they don't work fully: inside the liner seems dry enough the next morning but upon taking the liners out of the shells I've found outside of the liners / inside of the shells to be still quite wet... Have 'regenerated' the devices, i.e. dried 'em out properly as per the instructions. Wonder if others have had similar experience??
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
AG wrote:
Thanks Mr.Egg, I have them things but having tried 'em several times overnight in ski boots, have found they don't work fully: inside the liner seems dry enough the next morning but upon taking the liners out of the shells I've found outside of the liners / inside of the shells to be still quite wet... Have 'regenerated' the devices, i.e. dried 'em out properly as per the instructions. Wonder if others have had similar experience??

I found that the thermic type dryers work fine overnight in liners BUT I remove the liners from the shells first to allow any condensation to dry out from the outside of the liner/inside of the shell. However, if you are "regenerating" - it sounds like you are inserting non-heated kitty litter type drying devices ...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon wrote:
https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/thermic-boot-glove-warmers/thermic-boot-glove-warmer-detail.html

Damn - just ordered warmers from somewhere else
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
oui4ski wrote:
AG wrote:

I found that the thermic type dryers work fine overnight in liners BUT I remove the liners from the shells first to allow any condensation to dry out from the outside of the liner/inside of the shell. However, if you are "regenerating" - it sounds like you are inserting non-heated kitty litter type drying devices ...

Thanks oui4ski, yes indeed, am using 'Drysure' kitty litter things, see Mr.Egg's link somewhere above. They're supposed to be good. Ideally am seeking to avoid taking the liners out of the shells every evening, and definitely don't want to be blowing hot air into the liners, whether in the shells or not.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've used the Thermic boot dryer...

... and heated boot bag (made by Hot Gear but you can get them rebranded by Head and Lange). The Thermic boot dryer works well and is fairly portable. The heated boot bag is a real treat, drys and gently warms boots, ensures your gloves, hat, goggles are fully dried after a wert day on the hill.

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ah - I've got different Thermic ones like these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermic-0330-Warmer-Silver-Black/dp/B0054U701I?tag=amz07b-21 - not warm air ones, but you do need to remove the liners to dry everything (this isn't a problem since I put my feet into the liner, lace it up and then put everything into the shell) - far easier than trying to shove a foot into a very well fitted boot!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I'll look for a link in a sec

Here you go:
https://www.auvieuxcampeur.fr/hiver/equipement-de-la-personne/tout-pour-les-pieds/atelier-du-pied/seche-chaussures/seche-chaussures-amphora.html
ski holidays
or here
https://www.confort-domo.com/produits/sechage-par-ventilation/chaussure/seche-chaussures-electrique/3/
snow report
@midgetbiker, I know this is a serious discussion, and that is a sensible piece of equipment that may be of use to many people, but every time I see it, I can't help thinking that this is the way that extra-terrestrial life takes its place within our society, distributing itself through links on internet forums, humming quietly through the night, biding its time in the knowledge that the only thing holding back its worldwide takeover is the fact that you've screwed it to a piece of plywood so it can't wander off.

Just me?
ski holidays
Oooww...cheap
https://www.vivre-mieux.com/fr/objets-malins/723-seche-chaussures-electrique-3344380400003.html
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
@midgetbiker, I know this is a serious discussion, and that is a sensible piece of equipment that may be of use to many people, but every time I see it, I can't help thinking that this is the way that extra-terrestrial life takes its place within our society, distributing itself through links on internet forums, humming quietly through the night, biding its time in the knowledge that the only thing holding back its worldwide takeover is the fact that you've screwed it to a piece of plywood so it can't wander off.

Just me?

Ha Ha ! Very Happy
ski holidays
@Scarlet, Laughing
latest report
@Scarlet, at least I've done the responsible thing and screwed it to a bit of wood, imagine the harm it could do if left to wander free.

Pretty sure I remember @pamw saying she keeps hers locked in a wardrobe for safety.
latest report
What works for me, at the end of the day:

Take my boots to my warm bedroom — never leave them in a boot room or anywhere else.

Remove liners, and then remove footbed from liners. Remove boot boards from boots

Wipe the inside of my boots & boot boards with a cloth. Put the footbeds & boot boards to one side to dry naturally overnight.

Put these simple boot warmers in my liners. They run at a gentle warm temp:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seeland-Boot-Dryer-Uk-Plug/dp/B00NZ3GBFM/ref=cts_sp_1_vtp?tag=amz07b-21

In the morning, before breakfast, put the heaters in my boots.

After breakfast, reassemble boots, and put them on whilst they are still warm.

Works like a charm, and there will not be moisture anywhere in the boots.

Simply putting heater in fully assembled boots does not work IMHO.
snow report
@midgetbiker, She seems very sensible, does @pamw.
snow report
Thanks Poogle, thats pretty much what I do, always take boots to a warm room, disassemble 'em completely and leave to dry naturally overnight... But I don't use any form of dryer / warmer / heater other than the 'Drysure Extreme' non-heat things I tried last season, which I found only half worked, though I wasn't taking the boots apart, as that's what I'm hoping to avoid - it's a little bit of hassle every evening and morning which I'd rather be without, hence experimenting with the process and asking these questions... I find that simply drying the boots/liners naturally overnight without any dryer / heater works fine (in a warm room), but only if the boots are disassembled. I expect you're right, boots/liners with never dry properly over one night, no matter what gadgets are used or not, unless fully disassembled...

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 8-12-18 21:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Perfect timing for thread as always Very Happy
ski holidays
Is the sidas boot warmers with UV a gimmick?
ski holidays
AG and I are of near similar countenance. I've most successfully relied for decades upon balling up about eight pages of newspaper and individually stuffing each boot with same after I'm off the slopes. After two to three hours remove as same have absorbed a good 95% moisture, leave to air out till a.m.. They're always 100% dry/fresh. No batteries, electrical anything.

* I never put my boots on until I am physically at the lift. How so? I have for decades always carried same in a compressible (ths is key) rucksack that accommodates the dry and warm boots, just, plus room for a second set of goggles, gloves, neck gaiter, etc. At the end of the day - at the mountain base - I reverse the situation avoiding the ubiquitous, ridiculous Frankenstein shuffle and pleasantly walk away in my sneakers. Great for me, to and fro, great for the boots. Never walk in boots!

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 8-12-18 16:28; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
hi

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 8-12-18 16:25; edited 5 times in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I use the sock of dehydrated silica type driers, I think mine are branded Dryzone. They have been 100% effective for me. The only real potential downside to them is weight for packing/transport. I'm guessing they probably weigh in at around a kilo and a bit, which is a fair bit if you're the type to take a fairly full bag.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 8-12-18 17:10; edited 1 time in total
latest report
oui4ski wrote:
Ah - I've got different Thermic ones like these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermic-0330-Warmer-Silver-Black/dp/B0054U701I?tag=amz07b-21 - not warm air ones, but you do need to remove the liners to dry everything (this isn't a problem since I put my feet into the liner, lace it up and then put everything into the shell) - far easier than trying to shove a foot into a very well fitted boot!
That's what I've got but, thank goodness, my boots never get really wet and I don't have to dis-assemble them for drying purposes (I find it incredibly awkward getting my Zipfits in and out of my boots, whether they're on my feet or not.) When I've been to Hemel, I just put my boots in the airing cupboard for a few hours, job done.
snow report
@Scarlet, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
I do love the joy of putting on slightly warmed boots in the morning, straight out of the heated boot bag. They slide on like your favourite slippers, everything clicking in to place. Makes for a much more civilised start to the day, especially if accompanied by a really good espresso. Doesn't matter how grim the rest of the day is if it starts well Happy
latest report
I’ve always used the style spyderjon suggests. Take boots to room, slip heater in each boot and that’s it, no fan noise, no faffing around dismantling boots, just warm dry boots every morning.
snow report
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/boot-glove-dryer-id_8375022.html

I use this - only a tenner, dries them out fine overnight at low temp, compact and has a Euro plug so no need for an adapter, excellent from decathlon once again!
ski holidays
@MountainIdiot, wow that really is cheap.
ski holidays
we use the Drysure, thingies, don't take the liners out, leave overnight and dry liners in the morning, they work for us. https://drysure.co/collections/drysure-boot-dryer
snow conditions
To much faff to change boots at lifts for me.... maybe different if digs where a distance. I usually find spyderjons advice hard to ignore.....
snow report
radar wrote:
we use the Drysure, thingies, don't take the liners out, leave overnight and dry liners in the morning, they work for us. https://drysure.co/collections/drysure-boot-dryer

Hello Radar, when I got the Drysure thingies last season I thought they were working well at first, for three or four days that is; I wasn't taking the liners out, just leaving the things in overnight (in a warm room), and next morning all seemed great, was sticking my hands right down inside the liners and all appeared dry. After a few days for some reason I took one of the liners out of the shell in the morning, can't remember why but I did, to find the outside of the liner and the inside of the shell were both very damp, bordering on wet. So I took the other liner out and sure enough it was the same... Hope this is of interest/use, cheers, AG.
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:

Spyderjon, I have of course opened that link now, dunno why it wouldn't work at first, probably an issue at my end. The Lenz Space Warmer 1.0 looks very good and I know that your recommendations are to be taken seriously (we've spoken on the phone btw, couple of years back), so I guess I'm gonna buy 'em. But three more simple questions pls: do they blow warm air or just warm up? Would just like to know, can't find answer to that on web, including Lenz site. Do you leave these things in all night? And do you leave the liners in the shells or take 'em out when using this device? Many thanks - keep up the good work! Regards, AG
ski holidays
@AG, they were my Christmas pressie last year, so I think I can answer your questions:

No, air blowing, they just warm up.
I leave them in over night, boots warm and dry in the morning (also means I can do gloves in the evening first).
Leave liners in. Or you could take them out. I don’t bother, but my bf often has moisture between liner and shells with his.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy