Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fastening your ski boots !

Poster: A snowHead
Seen a few people at the chill factor who have no idea how to fasten their boots..so to help those people try watching this, it might come in useful...might even help newbies

http://youtube.com/v/6bjiy2pIcxE#fauxfullscreen
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was never taught this whilst learning at Hemel. It was only when I purchased boots before my first ever trip did I realise there was a wrong and a right way. I was cranking up the buckles across the top of my foot far too tight, causing me no end of problems.

I also find these guys really useful when it comes to everything boot related.

http://youtube.com/v/yeo_8CoGqUM&t=193s
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When I skied the very first time, I tucked my thermal layer and the pants' elastic band into the boots rolling eyes

Why do instructors never teach this on the first lesson? Or was I just unlucky.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was shown when bought boots, but thinking back when I had my first proper lesson, after complaining about the boots I had on, the instructor did mention about being “pinky tight”.

I didn’t really understand until I was shown when I bought my own boots. I make sure I tell new comers that I ski with about it though - mate I went with her the awful cramping until I realised he’d cranked the boot right down on top of the outstep of his feet!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Oleski, same I had a perfect blister ring on both legs.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Blimey. Every day’s a school day.

LS
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oleski wrote:
When I skied the very first time, I tucked my thermal layer and the pants' elastic band into the boots rolling eyes

One of the girls on a trip I went on complained about boot comfort. She swapped boots etc and eventually told us the most uncomfortable part was the little metal clip thingy. We quickly discovered she was tucking in the snow gaitors on her trousers. (edit: is that what you mean by pants elastic band? I'm envisioning very long Y-fronts!!!)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As well as the heel strike I also click into my ski binding and flex into the ski position a couple of times with the top buckles loosely done up, that can also push your heel to the back of the boot before finishing the tightening process.

Nothing like a good boot faff first run Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd like to think it's a time/money issue - for most people the first ski trip is on the cheapest hire kit package so not enough margin for the ski shop to stop and help explain boot fitting to every one. By the time you move up to more expensive kit you put yourself down as an Inter. so while the hire shop might then have the margin to tell you they assume you know (and you assume you've been doing it correctly because nobody's told you you're doing it wrong).

In reality I think it's because many skiers* tending to be ladies' front bottoms, preferring not to go to the hire shop to help their newbie friends/scoff at people who don't have their own\this years boot/take the "If you don't even know how to buckle your boots you're beneath me so I'm not going to tell you" attitude.

Much as I love my fitted ski boots I do wonder how good a fit I could get with hire boots now I know: what they are MEANT to feel like (took 2 weeks before someone asked "Is your heal lifting in the boot?"/"Yes"/"It's not meant to"), how to tell if they are the correct size (2 fingers with the liner out/toes not quite touching fronts when right in the heal pocket), how to buckel, and even the fact that different brands/models have different fits and you CAN ask the hire shop for a different pair.

* Boarders can be just as bad, just with the you should\shouldn't be riding goofy/you should have your bindings closer\more space\pointing at a different angle.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rogg wrote:
Oleski wrote:

We quickly discovered she was tucking in the snow gaitors on her trousers. (edit: is that what you mean by pants elastic band?

Yes I meant gaitors + the elastic band that is supposed to go over the boot's sole to secure it.

Quote:
I'm envisioning very long Y-fronts!!!)

I am aware that pants in British English (presumably in Ireland too?) tend to mean underwear. However when it comes to ski wear, for some reason most British retailers use 'pants' instead of 'trousers'. Terribly confusing for us non-natives
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The only item of clothing in your ski boots must be your ski socks.
Some people have leggings or long Johns under there ski trousers. These should not be tucked in to your boots. Often you can buy 3/4 length leggings or just cut them off above boot hight and stich the seem.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I too wondered that knicker elastic was not what it was.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Oleski, "Terribly confusing for us non-natives" ::

Ahh, the English language - Especially when words like - Cough ; Rough : Bough are all pronounced differently !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I akways fold the tops off my socks onto the top of the boots then the bottom of my leggings akso go over the top of the boot,,,. Salopetts then go over the lot to cover boots. That way no restrictive rings around my legs...keeps blood flowing ..lol
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Excellent advice, particularly the big heel strike!
latest report
Quote:

When I skied the very first time, I tucked my thermal layer and the pants' elastic band into the boots

Why do instructors never teach this on the first lesson?

We do! But then we are just a dry slope in the UK....
snow conditions
you don't need a big heel strike. If you fasten the second buckle fairly gently and leave the top two unfastened then flex forward in a normal skiing position two or three times then that will push your heel into the heel pocket without bashing about.

I do that then fasten up the other buckles fairly gently.

After that I ski the first one or two runs then tighten everything once my foot has really settled in.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy