Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Austria beginning in Jan

Poster: A snowHead
I've found cheap flight to Innsbruck on the 6th of January - where would you go? We are a family of 4 (two children aged 8 and 9). I have been looking at Stubai (mainly because the free lift pass for under 10s represents a massive saving) but am slightly put off by how spread out the ski area seems to be. I'm also unsure whether it would be better to ski mainly at the top of the valley on the glacier, or further down at Fulpmes (i.e where do we put the children for ski school?)
We don't need miles and miles of pistes, and tend to prefer smaller, less busy resorts.
Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If I had a cheap flight to Innsbruck handy, and the snow/snow making was looking reasonable, I'd go back to Westendorf. Small ski area and compact village, good value, but connected by lift/bus/train to the rest of the Skiwelt, and by lift+bus/bus/train to Kitzbuhel in case you want to branch out.

We went this year and loved it (TR here, can't work out how to make a link Embarassed https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3216534&highlight=westendorf#3216534) but can't comment on ski school as we have no kids; didn't notice any wailing though and it looked like they were having fun!

Don't think kids are free but definitely have a reduced price pass.

Edit: I made a link!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
im off next week & still have all options open depending on snow.
Seefeld might be good for you
https://www.seefeld.com/en/seefeld-tyrol

St Anton is just over an hour & half West from Innsbruck by Train
Stubai Glacier just over an hour South from Innsbruck by Bus
Hochzillertal/​Hochfügen is just over an hour East from Innsbruck By Train & Tram
Seefeld is about 35mins West of Innsbruck by Train
Schlick is about 35mins South of Innsbruck by Bus
not found anything East

There is also Kuhati
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mr.Egg wrote:
im off next week & still have all options open depending on snow.
Seefeld might be good for you
https://www.seefeld.com/en/seefeld-tyrol

St Anton is just over an hour & half West from Innsbruck by Train
Stubai Glacier just over an hour South from Innsbruck by Bus
Hochzillertal/​Hochfügen is just over an hour East from Innsbruck By Train & Tram
Seefeld is about 35mins West of Innsbruck by Train
Schlick is about 35mins South of Innsbruck by Bus
not found anything East

There is also Kuhati

Ziller valley is east, and not that far east. Landing at Innsbruck last year we flew straight over it. Drove to Mayrhofen in about an hour (there should be trains from Innsbruck as there is a narrow gauge line all the way up the valley to Mayrhofen. You could look at Zell am Ziller.

A bit more expensive, but a better guarantee of good snow due to aspect and height are:

Ischgl west - 90 mins drive. No train, presumably a bus
Solden west - 70 min drive, Obergurgl, 20 mins beyond Solden
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hmmm. Loads to choose from, I believe the weather is likely to get 'serious' end of this week, may be worth waiting to the weekend before you decide .
Alpachtal (beautiful area), Ski Welt (large and well connected ski area across multiple villages), Seefeld (compact), Kitz (make sure you are gone before race week), Fiss (larrge well coonected area), Kuhtai (pretty small),Damuels (one of our favorites).

For me Damuels is a great family ski area, and supposedly the snowest village in Europe.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@annaa, took the kids to Kappl a couple of years running when they were younger. We liked it as all the runs meet up so no chance of getting lost. You can get a Kappl only pass or upgrade to whole valley Inc ischgl. Hotel Alpenfrieden is great value and on the piste side . Serfaus gets a great rep for being family friendly but have not been. Have been to Kuhtai too with kids but didn't like it - too bleak with not a lot happening after skiing. Can your kids ski?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would seriously consider Serfaus / Fiss it sells itself as being very child friendly, the villages are pretty much car free. Otherwise there are lots of smaller resorts which are likely to be a bit cheaper (Kitzbühel is expensive), Kuhtai and Axamer Lizum are just two in addition to those mentioned above. You are likely to find that some hotels will be offering low season deals with lift passes included. The Stubaital is rather spread out (though easy access from Innsbruck) and the glacier is not always the best place to be in early January. There is a list of all the ski resorts in Tirol here https://www.bergfex.com/tirol/. Pick a resort and send a mail to the relevant Tourist Office asking what deals they are offering?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You need somewhere nearby, low, and easy.

Westendorf.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@annaa, The flights are also cheap the week after, and if Saalbach appeals send me a PM wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Or head south to the Dolomites. Great ski school in Selva (other ski schools are available etc).

"Children until 8 years (born after 30.11.2010) are entitled to a free skipass for the same period (except season ski passes, Superski Family, 8 days in a season, DTL, value points cards and noon/afternoon tickets) on purchase of a skipass by the adult attendant. This free offer refers to "an attendant for each child"." Older children pass is 170 euros
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
buchanan101 wrote:
A bit more expensive, but a better guarantee of good snow due to aspect and height are:

Ischgl west - 90 mins drive. No train, presumably a bus

You can take the train from Innsbruck to Landeck, then either a couple of Euro each for the bus or book a taxi.

With a young family I'd actually take boabski's approach though - save loads on accomodation by staying up/down the valley in Galtur or Kappl rather than IN Ischgl and just take the bus to Ischgl for one or two days if you fancy a change.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some more kids ski free deals here, not sure which ones you would qualify for in terms of age and season:

https://www.snowplaza.co.uk/blog/11358-ski-resorts-kids-free/

That is a massive incentive to get the kids lift passes for free, as you can pay €300+ for 2 kids passes otherwise. I can definitely see why you would want to take advantage of that, esp being such an easy transfer from Innsbruck.

I can't work out if the Stubai free pass is just for the glacier area or the whole valley. I assume they would have a ski school based at each main ski area in the valley, but the glacier is cold & high in Jan, great snow, but not a lot of shelter in cold or bad weather.

One thing I do want to know is how you can take the kids out of school in term-time?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks everyone for your replies. Loads of good suggestions and several that look really interesting that I'd never even heard of (Damüls)

@boabski, was it your recommendation that took us to Kappl a couple of years ago? We loved it for the same reason. Ski school was brilliant as well!

Thanks for the link @luigi, that's really useful. We are taking the kids out in term time because they will only miss a couple of days that week due to teacher training days being tacked on tho the end of the holiday. Plus, as hubby and I work shifts (paramedics) and haven't been allocated any leave this year (it's a draw from a hat type scenario). One or other is on shift between the 16th December and the 5th Jan - the only day we have together as a family is the 30th. So I am using that to justify a delayed family Christmas!

Time to get searching....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@luigi
https://www.stubaier-gletscher.com/en/ski-area/ski-pass-prices/stubai-super-ski-pass/

This will tell you all you need to know about the Stubai Super Ski Pass. Kids under 10 ride free provided you buy one identical adult pass per child.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
6 January is a Sunday - that will presumably rule out some accommodation, and some ski school options, but it should be a quieter day to travel.
snow conditions
At work on the Saturday, and as it's New Year's week I can't book it off...so Sunday travel it has to be rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy