Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bardonecchia... Anyone been, What’s it like??

Poster: A snowHead
We are going to Bardonecchia for new year for a weeks skiing. I have a couple of questions:-
Is there enough slopes there for 6 different days ski?
My wife only wants to ski 3 days is there stuff for her to do when we are skiing?
Nightlife and food is it lively???

Help would be appreciated

Liam
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No.
Not much.
No.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@liam6913,
It's a pretty nice ski area, we have only ever done day trips from Valmeinier, but in the 2 or 3 trips we have done i still done feel as though I have skied the fun area. Certainly enough to do 3 days, do an away trip for the day, and then come back and do another couple of days. Can't remember the name of any of the mountain Restaurants but I remember the food being good everywhere we went.
I'm afraid I remember the down being pretty quiet, no real evidence of any apres ski or nightlife.
So of the snow is good you will have a nice time on the pistes and in the mountain Restaurants, I'd find a good restaurant for the evenings and hunker down.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So long as you can use fairly steep drag lifts there is plenty of slope; maybe @Whitegold couldn't cope.
Reasonable real town.
Enjoyed it there and stayed longer than planned (9 days).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good mountain food, with a great welcome at the restaurant at the top of the Colomion.
The drag lift to get there is not so good, but it’s worth the effort.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bardonecchia is lovely, went a few years ago for a week late season. Short bus across to Jafferau was well worth it, mountain was empty a lot of the time and lovely wide slopes. Just be prepared for plenty of button lifts.

There is very little nightlife, it's a quaint town, as mentioned above a good restaurant is all you need, and there are plenty of those.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I went there for a week a few year's ago. I enjoy covering ground but it was my girlfriend's first trip so this was a compromise option (well priced as well).
In answer to your questions, I would say it doesn't really have enough for different skiing each day but I really enjoyed what there was. I think 2-3 days on the main linked area would work and a day or two on the higher Jafferau area would keep you interested. You then might have an option to pop down the valley and ski a day in Sauze or Sestriere. I think that would make a good week.
Your wife might struggle to find 3 days worth of non skiing activities. The town is fine but not a resort, so just a few shops and bars. However there is a station, which opens up some day out options. Turin isn't far away so perhaps she might want to have a look round there?
Hopefully you will have a great week. We really enjoyed it there and as others have said you will be well fed and watered at a good price!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes Bardonecchia is nice enough. As I think someone said jefferau is steeper and more interesting skiing. J is on the free bus routes around the village.

Rest of skiing in the valley is average but all depends on your ability.

We stayed in a good airbnb place just off high street (up the hill). We really struggled to find any consistently good bars but the one at the bottom of the high street was younger and OK.

Top tip: the great cheap workers cafe in the train station. Meal of the day always brill.

Of course you are very near / short taxi drive away from sauze d'oulx. So perhaps a days skiing there ?

Have a good one.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Let me know how you get on and pass on any advice and tips. Me and the wife are off at the beginning of March.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Duc du chat pizzeria in Melezet, superb home cooked. Variable last January, 80 cm snow one day, 12C the next, and icy. We have 3 days mid January at cafe/hotel La Pigna on the snow front at Melezet,£60 A night b and b.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Does anyone know is it easy to get to Sauze and Sestriere by public transport??
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes, train to oulx, bus up the hill to sauze. Easily do-able - but might be cheap enough by taxi door to door. Stops having to wait around for connections.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bardonecchia to Sestriere is difficult, to Sauze is more doable with a combination of train to Oulx (every 1-2 hours, takes 10 min) and bus from Oulx to Sauze (line 285, similar frequency, takes 15 min perhaps ?). I don't think there is any direct bus from Bardonecchia, and I don't know if the connection in Oulx is any good (I fear not, as I would assume it is timed to meet the trains from Turin, not from Bardonecchia). Else, a cab to Sauze could be reasonable as it's less than 20km.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
...once in Sauze you can easily ski to Sestriere.

It is a longish drive Sauze to Sestriere as you have to go all way down valley then back up again.
ski holidays
This has been a great help as I've just booked a week there from Sat. If I find a good bar I will let you know!!
snow report
This is the bar I was think about. At bottom of Via G. F. Medail, 89, 10052 Bardonecchia.

https://m.facebook.com/garage.bar.bardonecchia/
snow conditions
Thanks kezzy 19661!!
snow report
Just back from Bardonecchia. Nice ski area's but very crowded blue runs with ski schools of 10+ skiers/boarders EVERYWHERE!! very little English spoken or understood in the resort. Ate on the mountain most days as trying to get a meal in the evening without booking first was a pain. Timing is paramount at the Pien del Sole to get food before/after the Italian school kids converge on the restruant. Easy to get the train into Turin for the day & they run every hour. Overall a nice resort if you don't mind the ski school issues.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy