Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cairngorm Mountain Ltd in administration

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-46389488

Hopefully this marks the beginning of the end for CML/ Natural Retreats involvement in running Cairngorm. HIE have a lot to answer for as well
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Gaza, as you say, at least this should mark the end to CML/Natural Retreats mismanagement, and you are spot on with your comment about HIE having a lot to answer for.

Let's hope the Community buyout is successful.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wonder what will happen to everyone that has already paid for season tickets?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not unexpected. Hopefully it'll pave the way for a better future.

Natural retreats have managed to trash a 52 year old company that was trading steadily but not spectacularly until they took over and somehow trebled the liabilities.

You can see it graphically represented here: https://companycheck.co.uk/company/SC043599/CAIRNGORM-MOUNTAIN-LTD/financials
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dode wrote:

I hopt that's a rhetorical question...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow looks like they blew 2 million and have nothing to show for it. Where did the money go?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dsoutar wrote:
dode wrote:

I hopt that's a rhetorical question...

Presumably they will be unsecured creditors. So virtually no chance of a refund, unless they paid via credit card and claim from the credit card provider....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Was only asking because my mate’s daughter was mentioning the other day that her correspondence seeking a partial refund (based on the funicular being declared out for the season after she had already paid for the season ticket) were being ignored.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As I read things, they're still going ahead with the snow factory that HIE are funding, and the Administrators will continue to run things with a view to a sale as a going concern I assume. CML was the operating company, not the one which actually owns the funicular or the physical land.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dode wrote:
Was only asking because my mate’s daughter was mentioning the other day that her correspondence seeking a partial refund (based on the funicular being declared out for the season after she had already paid for the season ticket) were being ignored.

There were some posters on winterhighland forum reporting that they'd asked for a refund and been told that they couldn't have one unless it was confirmed that the funicular railway wouldn't run this season. Of course, the cynic in me questions the motives behind that procrastination.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 29-11-18 22:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lets be clear : HIE and their obsession with the funicular are root of the problem.

Right now the media presenting them as saviour who will protect jobs and keep mountain open. However until they are permanently removed as landlord the same mistakes will keep being made. Remember we were in this exact position in 2008 when HIE originally took over. Since then Ciste lifts and White lady t-bar removed (with blessing of HIE) and nothing has changed for better.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Haggis_Trap, agreed.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="Haggis_Trap"]Lets be clear : HIE and their obsession with the funicular are root of the problem.

So, so true. From what recall they screwed up the EU funding process and had to repay millions in grant funding on it, they screwed up the survey and built it in the wrong place so in good snow years the track gets buried. To justify the huge expense they ripped up all the other chairlifts and an assortment of tows meaning the resort is totally reliant on it then it turns out it wasn't built properly so it is shut down just before winter threatening the economy of the entire area.

It's a f#*?!ing omnishambles.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Crying shame. First place I ever went on an " independent" ski holiday. Think I was 17 and my bro 16.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good article here from parkswatchscotland. As it rightly says all attention will now be focussed on how HIE deal with this mess (which of course they did so much to create!) http://parkswatchscotland.co.uk/2018/11/30/the-immediate-consequences-of-cairngorm-mountain-ltd-going-bust/?fbclid=IwAR0u8txcBhMzHVc2Oq58RvEppIZzDCNMgsZ34FEOYvHPXqGZeuXwjJDK06c
snow report
@Alastair Pink, good article indeed.
ski holidays
Another good article from parkswatchscotland concerning the Cairngorm fiasco, and the dubious decision by HIE to award the lease to Natural Retreats in the first place: http://parkswatchscotland.co.uk/2018/12/17/hie-is-now-picking-up-the-pieces-for-the-disaster-it-created-at-cairn-gorm/
snow conditions
Alastair Pink wrote:
Another good article from parkswatchscotland concerning the Cairngorm fiasco, and the dubious decision by HIE to award the lease to Natural Retreats in the first place: http://parkswatchscotland.co.uk/2018/12/17/hie-is-now-picking-up-the-pieces-for-the-disaster-it-created-at-cairn-gorm/

Shocking stuff.

To summarize -- a bunch of Scottish hicks, running a public body way above their skill level, got bamboozled into handing over millions to a bunch of flash Yanks and Englanders waving cash around Laughing

Looking back through the original proposal in 2014, NR obvs got someone in their office with highschool art to whip up a fancy drawing of what HIE would get for their free millions...

snow report
For once I would join the cry to "Nationalise it !" The noisy Nicola should be prominent in sorting this out and preserving a whole way of life upon which this region depends.
ski holidays
Not to anyone's great surprise HIE have announced that the funicular will remain closed for the remainder of the winter season. Sad

A spokesman for HIE said: “We have received the report of the investigation into concerns over the funicular structure and we will publish it in due course. We are meeting with the contractor this week to go through the report in detail in order to fully understand its findings and determine next steps."
“In the meantime, we anticipate the funicular will remain out of service for the remainder of the winter season, with ski tows providing alternative uplift when conditions allow.”
snow conditions
To be fair on current outlooks the chance of them opening is fairly far off.
snow report
More from parkswatchscotland - HIE have been served with three Improvement Notices by the Health and Safety Executive after a site inspection revealed several "safety concerns constituting breaches of Health and Safety Law", see http://parkswatchscotland.co.uk/2019/01/15/hies-management-of-health-and-safety-at-cairngorm-mountain/?fbclid=IwAR1EFK7H0e1yt181cs83TBit_ZeBBYmvw7H1t5oSMzrtjOvDz_EaPsZwnrc

Their failure to address long standing Health and Safety issues and their failure to ensure their (then) tenant addressed them even when brought to HIE's attention by third parties just demonstrates (if it needed demonstrating again) that HIE are totally unfit to own and manage Cairngorm Mountain and the snowsports infrastructure and operations there. If snowsports at Cairngorm are to have a future (and the many local businesses that depend on it) then it must be brought into community ownership (with the financial liabilities resting with HIE who are responsible for creating them in the first place!). Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, +1
snow report
[quote="Farley Goode"]For once I would join the cry to "Nationalise it !"
Er, it already effectively is. The landowner in question, HIE, is a state-funded body, ie the Scottish Government's development agency.
snow report
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-46904702
snow report
No big surprise there. Thankfully 8th Feb isn't far off Smile
ski holidays
http://parkswatchscotland.co.uk/2019/01/17/the-financial-cost-of-hie-outsourcing-cairngorm-to-natural-retreats/?fbclid=IwAR1uiL-88TybG9TF3NZLVx5CbmngKTbZDgIi1M5t0uqI7QQFFs2su6Q1iaU

Quote"The outsourcing of Cairngorm to Natural Retreats between 2014-18 has represented a catastrophic failure by HIE, both in terms of how it managed the sale and procurement process and in how it then managed the contract with Natural Retreats." Absolutely correct, HIE is not fit for purpose Evil or Very Mad . Just be thankful HIE don't have any breweries, they certainly couldn't organise a piss-up in one! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Here's a clip of Tuesday's BBC Breakfast coverage of the situation at Cairngorm and a spokesman from the Community Trust who are hoping to bring the operations at Cairngorm into community ownership. Here's hoping they succeed! https://www.facebook.com/bbcbreakfast/videos/1974484472858131/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink wrote:
Here's a clip of Tuesday's BBC Breakfast coverage of the situation at Cairngorm and a spokesman from the Community Trust who are hoping to bring the operations at Cairngorm into community ownership. Here's hoping they succeed! https://www.facebook.com/bbcbreakfast/videos/1974484472858131/

And replace the lifts torn out by the current lot.
ski holidays
I was there on Monday and have to give the staff a massive thumbs up for their welcome and positivity. Every single one of them was helpful and happy.
snow conditions
Quite surprised how low the turnover is.. realise its highly variable depending on snow but are CML the ones selling the tickets, restaurant meals, ski hire, funicular tickets even in summer etc?
snow report
Good to hear the staff are back on their A game, last time I was there (3 years ago) they where a bunch of miserable pricks, I vowed not to cross their door again. A few days later we visited glenshee where the staff where excellent. Its true staff morale come from the top, I will certinaĺy gave them another try and hopefully be more positive!
ski holidays
Another excellent article from parkswatchscotland on the financial background to the Cairngorm fiasco....

http://parkswatchscotland.co.uk/2019/02/14/more-evidence-for-why-an-inquiry-is-needed-into-hies-mismanagement-of-cairngorm-mountain/?fbclid=IwAR2roV_BPFT-0j4Ut-3J91l_MNoQLHdteKjrku0bNP_ZBSYsnA66le9GpNQ
ski holidays
Cost of Cairngorm funicular repairs could run to £15m Shocked

The funicular fiasco at Cairngorm just gets worse and worse! rolling eyes According to the BBC report "Audit Scotland said HIE and the government faced making "tough decisions" on the railway and wider Cairngorm ski resort." Well one decision which should be easy is to remove HIE from having anything to do with the future of Cairngorm, their involvement (including the flawed decision to build the funicular in the first place) has been an unmitigated disaster for snowsports on Cairngorm and the wider local economy. Sad

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 18-06-20 10:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I click on the BBC link and I get treated to this filth

ski holidays
@davidof, The link I gave in my post is just a story about the Cairngorm funicular, no photo of Nicola Sturgeon? Puzzled
snow conditions
I seem to recall an article that suggested 13 million to repair but 10 million to demolish and reinstate the funicular track area.
A cost study of a new 4 person chairlift might make interesting reading, let's face it there is potentially 3 million in hand at the outset!
There is a chair configuration I've seen in Baqueira which is skis off and the chair infront of you has holsters to take your skis. May sound complicated but it works well and is good for beginners none skiers etc. Anything to maximise its use, winter and summer.
latest report
A few years ago I organised a meeting between the adventure sports industry in Scotland and a Scottish Government Minister, to get some interest in career development in the sector. The meeting was at Glenmore Lodge in November, with snow on the ground. Said Minister turned up in a fun-fur coat and high heels. Her most useful observation was “isn’t it cold” - we didn’t hear from her again.
latest report
Rogerdodger wrote:
I seem to recall an article that suggested 13 million to repair but 10 million to demolish and reinstate the funicular track area.

I think a condition of the funicular construction approval was that at the end of its life it had to be removed and the ground reinstated, so the £13 million repair option figure didn't include the final cost of removal (after say 20 years more funicular operation if they are lucky). So in deciding between removal now or repair the repair option should factor in the ultimate cost of later removal.
snow conditions
It's been dragging on for almost a decade...

Tens of millions of UK pounds lost or wasted.

Cairngorm is like a headless chicken.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy