Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mid January US to GVA - where to ski ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
And of course you can get much bigger and better appointed accommodation in any of the resorts if you are prepared to pay for it. If you pay rabbit money you'll get a rabbit hutch.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cheapski wrote:
Is that a lot or not enough ?

One beer on the mountain could cost you $15 in some of the US resorts

I think it would be regarded as quite a lot but it really depends what you are doing. If you have lunch in a mountain restaurant plus drinks and dinner in the evening plus drinks yes you could easily get up to 100 Euros. Beer wouldn't a lot less than that though - 7/8 Euros for 0.5l perhaps. I don't use restaurants/bars much myself but I think it's about right.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Cheapski, that's quite a lot. Though it would be easily possible to spend that amount if you wanted to.

Personally, even if I was eating out for breakfast (from a bakery), lunch and dinner I'd only budget half that (though I don't really drink). That would probably get me a couple of courses and a soft drink for each meal as long as I was fairly careful to avoid the more expensive eateries! Add in a few beers (maybe $7 each, but I'm guessing) and it would be a bit more, but you can also save by not eating in restaurants all the time. e.g. takeaway pizza, cook in your apartment, packed lunch...

I agree with others that you'll probably need to increase your lift pass budget though - especially if you're going to a big ski area.

Accommodation budget - $100pp/day will get you a very nice lodging indeed! Even halving that budget would probably get you a fairly decent apartment in January.

Remember to budget for ski hire (if needed), plus a little for petrol and tolls. But that shouldn't total much more than $200 each.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheapski wrote:
Is that a lot or not enough ?

One beer on the mountain could cost you $15 in some of the US resorts

I'd say it's more than enough. Depends on your eating arrangements and alcohol intake I guess.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
After further research and taking into account advice of Snowheads - I am strongly leaning towards Valle d'Aosta.

There are few areas that I am still researching and looking for answers:

- If based in Courmayeur/La Thuile, is it realistic to venture on few day trips (drive out in the morning and come back in the evening) to Champoluc and Cervinia ? Traffic maps suggest drive of 1hr30min to Champouluc and 1hr20min to Cervinia. Sounds reasonable - anybody has any experience to share about this ?

- It is not clear how much of a supplement charge for access to Zermatt. We are getting Valle d'Aosta multiday pass and would like to visit Cervinia for couple of days and if the weather cooperates would like to cross over to Zermatt.

Skilife.ski is not clear on this.

- Since we do have Mountain Collective Passes we are thinking driving for a day or two to Chamonix. It seems that "10 trip package" for Mont Blanc tunnel would be the most economical option ($150). Any different opinions on this ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
How about a Satellite resort in Switzerland? We have an typical small apartment in the 4 Vallées (Verbier, La Tzoumaz, Bruson, Veysonnaz, Nendaz, Les Collons) which is 4 beds, 2 bedrooms, open-plan lounge/kitchen/diner about 70sq.yds. plus underground parking and central hot water and heating [not an advert - we're there ourselves when you are over]. Cost is about $1,000/week for the place. 6-day adult all-area skipass would be about $360. That covers 400kms (250 miles) although more like 250kms (155 miles) is in easy range. About 90 minutes drive from GVA. If you self-catered for most meals, then the cost would be the much the same as anywhere up an Alpine mountain (you could buy en route in the valley hypermarket). I don't deny Italy is probably the genuinely cheapest all-'round but it's a fair drive from GVA.

As someone mentioned, satellite resorts are often worth considering and there are many in the Alps. I only mention La Tzoumaz because I'm (obviously) familiar with the location. Here's an article

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/dec/06/satellite-ski-resorts-verbier-four-valleys-switzerland

To give you an idea, here's our local rental agency landing page. Enter 'rental' and '3 rooms' to see what's on offer. 3 rooms = 2 bedrooms but you don't pay much of a premium to go from 1 to 2 bedrooms and there are far more 2-bedroom apartments available.

https://www.carron-immobilier.ch/en/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Cheapski, Sounds good I can't help you with much as i have only travelled between Courmayeur and La Thuile on my visits to the Aosta.

I have to say as far as Zermatt goes I would be more inclined to go there for a couple of days at the beginning or end if you want to see much of it maybe staying down in Tasch if economising. I wouldn't have thought you would get much time to explore much of the Zermatt ski area from Cervinia as the areas are a bit seperated and you land right at the top of the furthest one and have to get back up there well before the lifts close, though I've only used the connection staying in Zermatt.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks promising, I will research some more about La Tzoumaz.

How about the other costs on the mountain, in Italy I can get very nice lunch at the mountain restaurant for about 30Euros ($35,CHF35) ?

OTOH, staying in La Tzoumaz would save me car rental and tunnel costs ... hmmmm wink

Thank you !!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
From another post of mine: Selected Prices (using Feb 2018 receipts)

Item - CHF

On piste **
Pizza - 15
Fries - 8
Beer 33cl - 8
Coffee - 4.50
Fruit tart - 5.50
Soup, bread & cheese - 12
Croûte aux Champignons -?20
Fondue - 25
Plate of local meats & cheeses - 25
Restaurant in town ***
Main course - 25-35
Glass of wine - 8-12
Luxury restaurant ****
Main course - 30-60
Skipass
Adult 4 Valleys 6 days incl. ins. - 590
Adult 4 Valleys 4 days incl. ins - 300
Equipment Hire 6 days
Adult Skis/Snowboard Standard-VIP 136-190
Adult Boots - 80-110
Heli-ski
1x Person in a group + guide
480-530

Your skipass and equipment hire will generally be more expensive than in the French and Italian Alps. And as with anywhere, you will pay a premium the higher up the mountain you eat and if you choose one of the more exclusive mountain restaurants like «La Vache», or a key base location like «Le Carrefour«» or «Chalet Adrien». Stop at a bar-café like «Chalet Carlsberg» that’s bang in the middle of the busiest run down and your usual CHF 8 beer is suddenly CHF 12.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are a lot of villages with (relative) character but linked to large skiing areas, all less than 2h drive from GVA - even without having to get through the Mont Blanc tunnel.

1h or less
For GdMassif: Les Carroz
For PdS: Les Gets, Chatel a bit further

2h+
For 3V: St Martin
For Paradiski: Peisey, Vallandry
For 4V: Nendaz (but I admit not being a fan of 4V's dated lifts)

Plus all the medium sized areas away from tourists - better bang for your buck, local crowd, more authenticity (as much as a ski area can be authentic...), and somewhat empty outside of school hols:
- Gd Bornand, La Clusaz (busier on weekends)
- Les Saisies has the right balance
- Combloux (with a car you can drive to Cham, Megeve, La Clusaz)
- Valloire, Valmeinier... the whole Maurienne vallee. Access to 3V via Orelle
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy