Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soft-shell mid-layer?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm making the leap from padded jackets to the hard-shell and layer combo. I've got the hard-shell already and synthetic compression fit base layers, now thinking about the mid layer..

Being an absolute cheapskate, I'm planning on using a soft-shell jacket I already own as a mid-layer. Am I going to die? Very Happy

Use scenarios for context: PDS in Dec, Tarentaise offpiste in Jan, Val Thorens in April.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Robin Agogo, you probably won’t die, but you might be a bit warm. Lightweight fleece would work too and they can be picked up pretty cheaply if you don’t have one already.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's not the best. No insulation for cold days, not breathable enough for hot days. As @Scarlet said, a lightweight fleece (polartec or similar) would be both warmer and more breathable.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mh120-m-fleece-navy-id_8492828.html
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Robin Agogo wrote:
I'm making the leap from padded jackets to the hard-shell and layer combo. I've got the hard-shell already and synthetic compression fit base layers, now thinking about the mid layer..

Being an absolute cheapskate, I'm planning on using a soft-shell jacket I already own as a mid-layer. Am I going to die? Very Happy

Use scenarios for context: PDS in Dec, Tarentaise offpiste in Jan, Val Thorens in April.

It depends what your “soft shell” actually is as it’s more a marketing tool than a functional term anymore but the clue is in the name, it’s a shell. Hard shell or soft shell, not much point in both. I’d go hard shell and a jumper.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Robin Agogo wrote:

If you went on a ski touring trip in siberia then yes you would probably die, and incidentally Weathercam recently went on such a trip but he's trying not to talk about it. I bet he wouldn't even talk about it if you said "go on".
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Did he take his £10k Carbon bike with him?

Only messing, good for him, I’d do the same if I had the time.....oh and the money!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 26-11-18 21:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Robin Agogo, bad idea - not breathable enough, so you'll get and stay wet from sweat. Just get a bog standard fleece instead.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Just get a bog standard fleece instead.

I'd splash out a (very) little and go for a stretch/grid pattern fleece - really warm for the weight and wick brilliantly. Alpkit do a really good one for not many £
https://www.alpkit.com/products/griffon-hoody-mens
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Go old school with a wool jumper, a better cheap skate option than a soft shell. Yours for a couple of quid in a charity shop if don't possess one.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is there a glossary to this soft-shell, hard-shell, mid-layer, base-layer stuff?
I am confused as heck.
Would my ski socks be low-base-soft-shell ?
and my Y-fronts for example, be a mid-base-hard layer?
What about a scarf - whats that ?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@WindOfChange, base layer are next to skin. Shells are outermost. Everything else is mid.

How else could it be?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some soft-shells are highly breathable, some of these are not even windproof. Such a soft-shell could be used as a mid layer.
Some soft-shells are a hard-shell and soft-shell combined. i.e. include a waterproof membrane - no point wearing two hardshells.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks all! It's an interesting one this, it sounds like breathability is going to be the problem if I try this, my soft shell isn't that breathable.

No need to spend any money though, I'm sure I've got a 10 year old fleece lying around somewhere Very Happy

If I was to splash out (relatively!) on a new fleece, is there anything in particular I should be looking for?
snow report
DB wrote:
Some soft-shells are highly breathable, some of these are not even windproof. Such a soft-shell could be used as a mid layer.
Some soft-shells are a hard-shell and soft-shell combined. i.e. include a waterproof membrane - no point wearing two hardshells.

Neither of which sound very much like a softshell.
snow report
Robin Agogo wrote:

If I was to splash out (relatively!) on a new fleece, is there anything in particular I should be looking for?

As @jedster wrote, grid backed fleece makes for very warm for their weight fleeces. Should be worn reasonably tight and can be worn next to the skin for a very effective warm base layer. Examples are the alpkit he linked (best price?), the "original" which was the Patagonia R1 hoody ot the Mountain Equipment Eclipse Hooded Zip T* (https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/eclipse-hooded-zip-t) my fovourite as it has the best hood/collar for warmth.

* also avaible with a full zip or without a hood.
snow report
@Robin Agogo, if you splash out on a new fleece? Something that looks good for dancing on a mountain terrace.

Cheap with a full length zip should do the trick.
snow conditions
@under a new name,
Thanks for the base / outer , explanation, but hat about hard / soft ?
Unless I go out like this, then surely it's soft shell?
latest report
@Robin Agogo, I have about three or four different weight but fairly cheap fleeces that I usually wear as mid layers, but I often feel a bit scruffy when I remove my jacket Embarassed So I splashed out (a bit, it was in the sale) on a Haglofs Heron Hood. Tight fitting, lightweight and softer than kittens Toofy Grin
latest report
galpinos wrote:
DB wrote:

Neither of which sound very much like a softshell.

http://altitude-blog.com/en/what-is-a-softshell/

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/clothing-mens/best-softshell-jacket

https://www.theadventurejunkies.com/best-softshell-jacket/

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 27-11-18 14:53; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Didn't soft shell sing Tainted Love in the 80's? Marc Almond etc.....
ski holidays
@Scarlet, Hope you didnt pay that?!
latest report
@Markymark29, Err, nope. Euro price is a bit more favourable, due to it not being totally worthless wink and the local Intersport had a special offer with significant discount. I'd actually gone in to try on this one, but the fit was all kinds of wrong and the colour a bit nasty, so coming away with a cheaper model was pleasing anyway.
snow conditions
DB wrote:

http://altitude-blog.com/en/what-is-a-softshell/

What a badly written "article". The idea behind a "soft" shell is a highly breathable shell that will protect you enough in inclement weather, i.e. wind and showers. It was the alternative option to the traditional thermal/fleece/goretex mantra that had dominated the outdoor clothing world. It's your outer layer. It is not "a layering piece". I was an early adopter to the softshell philosophy (i.e. a pertex windshirt) and then as it became an established marketing term every outdoor brand and their dog realised it was something else they could flog to the punters and the "value" in the term declined, as evidenced by that article. How m,any jackets can we flog to the paying public, how many items can we convince them are essential.

DB wrote:

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/clothing-mens/best-softshell-jacket

I'm not sure what the point of that link is?
latest report
I've just done this same move, but from minimal insulation to none.

You just need another thin fleece when it's cold.
latest report
@galpinos,
The point of the links were to show that a soft-shell can now be many things from a highly breathable garment with little weather protection to something with a high level of weather protection but then normally not as breathable. To a lesser extent fleeces are similar i.e. a windproof fleece isn't as good a mid-layer as a normal fleece but a windproof fleece could be used as an outerlayer on a nice sunny spring skiing day.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy