Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Toepiece Binding setting - JUST WRONG!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi.

Salomon Z12 (15/16 season)

Doing a ski service, wound the adjusters all out, then 'inching' the screws back until toepiece wings just came onto cam/spring
and noticed a scale difference of 1 whole 'din' unit between the skis Shocked

Checked and double checked, re zero 'd etc, counted screw turns, checked by tension just by comparison and yep, scale readings disagreed by 1 whole 'din' unit.

So, adjusting your scales to match isn't the proof of identical release values between the skis nor proof of accurate 'din' values.

There is an apparatus to verify the scale indication to a calibrated known accuracy but i have never seen anyone use one ! Shocked

FWIW, heel pieces matched each other exactly...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@T_Hee, IIRC @spyderjon and Ski Bartlett both have the machine to test.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@T_Hee, so what made you think it was a good idea to strip the bindings down? rolling eyes Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@T_Hee, ooops. Winding the adjusters all the way out can displace a small alloy piece which locates the spring. Does one binding rattle?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
valais2 wrote:
@T_Hee, ooops. Winding the adjusters all the way out can displace a small alloy piece which locates the spring. Does one binding rattle?

valais, hey man, don't spoil it for me! Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Tubaski, Thanks. I might well ask Bartletts. I'm probably there tomorrow.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@spyderjon, my error in communication. I should have said, I noticed one binding toe piece release was "stiffer" so I investigated wanting to make both bindings the same. I wound back the tensioner screw until all load was off the mechanism. Toe piece wings had wobble freedom of approx 2mm. I then 'inched' back screws until no free movement, at this point, both screwdriver slots were aligned (2 full turns IIRC) but immediately noticed scale differences of 1 'din' unit. At this point, all toe piece wings had full smooth movement, both 'feeling similar' force to move.

I'm confident in this methodology. Clearly something is amiss though.

I'll ask Bartletts to check.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@spyderjon,

Somehow that ebay purchase from overseas (although ski's were new), now looks dodgy!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@spyderjon,

Bartletts tested bindings.

Only 1/2 as bad as I thought.

One toepiece (measured on accurate/calibrated equipment), was accurate to din scale indication. The other toepiece, at the same release breaking torque was reading 0.5 din less on scale indication.

I unaware what the tolerances are for mismatch between actual and indicated readings are. Apparently, its something Bartletts see more on Salomon bindings than others a couple of times every month.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@T_Hee, personally, .5 DIN would not worry me. ymmv.

hardly an exact science, setting bindings
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, said

Quote:

personally, .5 DIN would not worry me. ymmv.

hardly an exact science, setting bindings

Have to agree with you especially as i turn them up a bit. At least now, I know exactly what that little bit more actually is...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy