Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Not another helmet debate!

Poster: A snowHead
I started wearing a helmet a few years ago primarily as modeling behaviour for my children. But now I kind of like wearing one. It keeps my head/ears warm, blocks the wind and has saved me from a few bumps on the head getting on the lift. And my goggles stay in the right place better. But when it gets really warm I'll ditch helmet / goggles for just an ear warmer/headband and sunglasses!

But I don't see that there's any kind of "debate" around a helmet. It's not a mandatory piece of equipment. Either you wear one or you don't.

I am, however, absolutely convinced that children should wear them, whether cycling or skiing or skateboarding.

BTW, I don't believe anyone who says they've gotten "grief and questions" for not wearing a helmet. From whom? Random skiers?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Pasigal, I've been asked why I don't wear one, always by fellow Brits. Usually in the hotel boot room and nearly always by skiers who are not totally competent, who have taken to skiing after helmets became popular and have only ever worn them. Wouldn't go so far as to call it 'grief'.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A study of ski injuries in New Hampshire and Vermont over an eight-year period found that skiers wearing helmets were less likely to have skull fractures, but were more likely to suffer severe injuries including bleeding in the brain.

Because head bleeds are commonly caused by impact at high speed, the researchers said that their results “may suggest that helmet use promotes increased risk taking behavior,” such as skiing too fast or jumping off things.

https://www.vnews.com/Dartmouth-Hitchcock-Researchers-Helmets-Shouldn-t-Replace-Safe-Skiing-and-Riding-Practices-30846950?fbclid=IwAR1G5jdnrEGVT4BYnmLgBDbfqqHmjhXFDZO-UsTy8fCmfyrJMfThqaxZ_4o
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A few years ago I misjudged a couple of bumps on piste on the first day (ok, I tried to catch some air), skis went up in the air, fell backwards donking the back of my head. It wasn't serious but I did have a slight headache which lasted the rest of the week and into the following week. I didn't get a helmet directly as a result even the following year. But it was on my mind and realised that I was actually worrying a little about it so last year I decided to get one. I had one incident getting off a chair lift where the guy next to me cut across getting off, skis tangled with the person on the other side, I ended up going down forehead first, but as the helmet has a slight peak, I'm pretty sure it stopped goggles and nose taking a thump.
So, ok, neither incident particular threatening but I feel a lot more comfortable now wearing one. And no it doesn't make me take more risks.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dode wrote:
@Pasigal, I've been asked why I don't wear one, always by fellow Brits. Usually in the hotel boot room and nearly always by skiers who are not totally competent, who have taken to skiing after helmets became popular and have only ever worn them. Wouldn't go so far as to call it 'grief'.

Yes, good description - thats my experience too, and it makes me chuckle esp if someone goes into "explainer" mode.

Reminds me of a guy we had working with us years ago when I occasionally golfed - he dressed like Ray Floyd, played like Keith Floyd - all the gear and no idea etc.............
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
OMG, I skied yesterday without a helmet for the first time in 7 years !!!!

!!!!!!

!! actual !!s !!!!!!!!!

'ever
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@GreenDay, if he played like Pink Floyd then I salute him wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dode wrote:
@GreenDay, if he played like Pink Floyd then I salute him wink

Very Happy

Totally off topic, but went to see Australian Pink Floyd last month at Usher Hall - they were utterly amazing.

Apparently Dave Gilmour had them playing at his 70th !
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I often ski without a helmet while touring, it doesn't really change the way I ski on piste although I curtail the forests, jumps and drops etc... just plain common sense. I have seen a friend fall in front of his gf on a slow schuss and she skied across the back of his head, the only damage was a 2 inch gash in the back of his helmet. I've banged my head hard twice on piste in approx 15 years of skiing (I now do full seasons), both times I flicked back from a bump in low vis, both times I saw stars and I was wearing a helmet, without I suspect I would have suffered from concussion.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't see how wearing a helmet would change how one skis. You ski a certain way regardless of headgear. If you're a good skier, chances are you're going to get into hairy situations. Just the way it is. I didn't start wearing a helmet until 2015. Learned to ski around 1977 as a little kid. Always been a good skier but do realize that I appreciate the extra protection of a helmet. AND, as someone said above, cold ears are now a thing of the past. Definitely warmer.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I vape and wear a helmet & goggles, when I smoked I wore a beanie & shades (arms on the outside, naturally). . .probably a better skier during the latter as I took more risks generally . . .the only thing a helmet has saved me from is the over zealous french (usually) twerp who insists on pulling the chairlift bar down prematurely . . .
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I never used to wear a helmet or usually a hat: helmets were for the under fives and downhill racers on 225cm skis. I certainly never needed one: I was never reckless and didn't fall much.

Eighten years passed, no skiing Sad

As a 50th birthday treat I went to Alpe d'Huez with 3 uni friends and asked one of them "should I hire a helmet?". "Yes everyone does". So I did.
3 days later, turning slowly on a white out on the crowded, hard packed Déversoir, I caught an outside edge on something (no idea what) and fell backwards down the slope somehow.

When I was in my 20s I'd have rolled into a ball as I fell. In my very late 40s, I flopped and whacked the back of my head on the "snow". I felt quite dizzy and had to ski gingerly down to 2300 for a 20 minute break and finished early that afternoon.

I'm really glad helmets became the norm in those 18 years because by then I needed one.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I never used to wear a helmet growing up as they were simply not available then.

However, I wear one now as I ensure that the kids do and I should practice what I preach.

I was snowboarding several years ago when I took a fall on a seemingly innocuous part of an icy, flat piste. Knocked myself out and then suffered concussion afterwards. It was horrible. I am sure that it would have been much worse without a helmet.

Similarly, when playing rugby I never had a scrum cap as they were not available when I was younger. When I started playing again, after a long gap, I wore one and it certainly saved me from more serious injury. It didn't change the way I played (I was still crap) but it probably saved a few brain cells.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GreenDay wrote:
@GreenDay

Totally off topic, but went to see Australian Pink Floyd last month at Usher Hall - they were utterly amazing.

Apparently Dave Gilmour had them playing at his 70th !

Not off-topic at all, seeing as this is NOT ANOTHER HELMET thread.
Aussie Floyd played a free open-air gig in Morzine Main Square this summer the day after Roger Hodgson (Supertramp) - two of the best concerts I have seen.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ha - we also saw the Australian Pink Floyd last month - very nearly as good as the real thing!
snow conditions
Hurdy wrote:
I never used to wear a helmet growing up as they were simply not available then.

However, I wear one now as I ensure that the kids do and I should practice what I preach.

I was snowboarding several years ago when I took a fall on a seemingly innocuous part of an icy, flat piste. Knocked myself out and then suffered concussion afterwards. It was horrible. I am sure that it would have been much worse without a helmet.

Similarly, when playing rugby I never had a scrum cap as they were not available when I was younger. When I started playing again, after a long gap, I wore one and it certainly saved me from more serious injury. It didn't change the way I played (I was still crap) but it probably saved a few brain cells.

I told myself I would not get involved in the "my helmet saved me from xyz" patter that is all too prevalent on these type of threads, but the bit in bold (not about skiing) is just disinformation.

Scrum caps stop you getting cauliflower ears, they wont protect you from a brain injury.

People buying protective equipment should at least know what the benefits and drawbacks are before using............
snow report
Sorry but it’s not disinformation. You could argue that it is My perception. I believe it’s stopped me from various cuts, scrapes and bruises but not cauliflower ears (as a flanker).

I never used my head as a weapon (unlike American football) before or after wearing a scrum hat.

If they are of no benefit then I wonder why they are becoming more popular...with the backs as well as the forwards.
snow report
I’ve seen a ski fly off someone after a crash and narrowly miss someone else’s head - that for me made me realise I don’t trust others and was enough for me to buy one Smile

Couple of posts jump out to me though... live and let live/life is too short. It may come up in a convo with me but I wouldn’t ever try to pressure someone into wearing / not wearing any bit of kit. Cool
snow report
Hurdy wrote:

Funnily enough my kids wore one BECAUSE I didn't - to them it meant they were cooler. Each to their own though. I taught mine (and still reinforce now) the FIS rules, where best to stop, to have sound technique etc etc.

On the other points, concussion happens with or without head protection because your brain is a big jelly contained within an unforgiving shell. The NFL studied 15,000 head injuries (mostly concussion) and they all wear helmets - in short, helmets do not stop concussion. There must be a degree of impact absorption with a helmet but the idea, as far as I'm concerned, is to avoid hitting the head regardless. I've said it before, the industry still sell helmets as safety but they aren't.
snow report
Hurdy wrote:
Sorry but it’s not disinformation. You could argue that it is My perception. I believe it’s stopped me from various cuts, scrapes and bruises but not cauliflower ears (as a flanker).

I never used my head as a weapon (unlike American football) before or after wearing a scrum hat.

If they are of no benefit then I wonder why they are becoming more popular...with the backs as well as the forwards.

Two points. You said they had saved you some brain cells - that is patently untrue. Scrum caps are no good for anything other than superficial injuries.

As to the bit in bold? For goodness sake dont be so naive, just look at cycling for the answer (hint, its to do with multi million dollar sales), or even better - the quote below

Pruman wrote:
the industry still sell helmets as safety but they aren't.
snow report
@GreenDay, if you read his actual post he said they probably saved some brain cells. Not quite what you said.
ski holidays
Rabbie wrote:
@GreenDay, if you read his actual post he said they probably saved some brain cells. Not quite what you said.

I read his post alright Rabbie, even if I didn't quote it quite right -

"it certainly saved me from more serious injury....... .......it probably saved a few brain cells"

Not too tricky to extrapolate from that statement that he is - mistakenly - assuming that a scrum cap can actually stop a serious injury.

People need to stop thinking that these things can stop a concussion or worse, because they can't.

I agree with his second statement that it might have saved some cuts and bruises......but thats it.
ski holidays
So scrum caps are good for saving superficial injuries? They do therefore provide a benefit by preventing or reducing some injuries which is a good thing.

I am not saying that they prevent a serious injury or death. I am not sure how or why you have made the leap to that from what i initially posted about preventing me from receiving a more serious injury (although maybe I mean serious in a different way such as a cut being a more serious injury than a bruise).
snow report
I’m definitely one who now prefers wearing a helmet to a beanie. I first learnt to ski as a youngster in the early 80s and didn’t start wearing a helmet until nearly 2010 or so, I definitely remember a year or two of ‘should I shouldn’t I’? Can’t say I can think of an occasion where the helmet has saved me from a fall, though I’ve had a few whacks from a chairlift bar that I was thankful for it.

In general I find a helmet keeps my head warmer, feels comfortable, doesn’t fog my goggles up when I lift them onto my head, and I think they look pretty good these days. I’ve done a day or two without one and, having got so used to it, it feels strange now to ski without one.
snow report
@Dav, I wear a helmet these days as well - started because I didn't want to gash my face/scalp when skiing something steep, a bit icy and rocky, and wearing one now feels natural. However, I don't buy saving being whacked by chair bars. True, bars now sometimes clout my helmet, but before I wore a helmet I never hit my head with a safety bar. Probably the helmet affect close peripheral vision, and also the helmet adds to the bulk around my head, thus tending to get in the bar's way.
snow report
@achilles, I think you are broadly on the right lines taking about peripheral vision but I think the truth is slightly different. Helmets don’t significantly impact your peripheral vision but what’s happened is that the rise in helmet wearing has been matched by a rise in goggle wearing. Goggles used to be kept for bad weather days and racers. Unlike helmets, goggles do significantly reduce peripheral vision and even the larger goggles are much the same. I think the chairbar/helmet clonking issue is a combination of three factors:
1. A helmet makes your head larger and therefore more prone to impact
2. Goggles reduce peripheral vision
3. Possibly.... the weight/bulk of a helmet makes the wearer less inclined to move his head. eg a little upward glance to check the bar position.
snow report
@foxtrotzulu, when I skied in the 19080s I did not wear a helmet - very few people did other than children - but I did wear goggles.

When I started skiing again 4 years ago Mrs Rabbie asked me to use a helmet so I did. I did not find it cumbersome so no problems. As I now need glasses all the time I have got myself a visor helmet.

I think it is up to adult skiers to decide whether they use a helmet or not. No need to dictate to people what to use.
snow conditions
@foxtrotzulu, I think that you have nailed it.
@Rabbie, Also agreed. The remarks between ftz and I were just in relation to helmets being clonked by chair bars - a minor problem, and one you have clearly avoided.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Rabbie, Completely agree. I have no problem with people wearing helmets or not. Entirely up the conscience of the individual churchgoer. Like many people I started wearing one to set a good example for the children and have happily continued as I find it warm and comfortable.
latest report
Folks Carper Skiing do not suffer Head Injurys

Helmet Folks on Pistes have Blind Vision...and Deafness

THEY ARE THE PROBLEM
snow conditions
@stanton, why do you always post bollox. is it a form of tourettes
snow report
@Rabbie, open your eyes
snow report
@stanton, I do otherwise i wouldn’t see the garbage you post. What on earth does “ Folks carper skiing” mean. It certainly isn’t any known language. Just random gibberish.
latest report
Dav wrote:
I’m definitely one who now prefers wearing a helmet to a beanie.

What about Beanies like this?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/267784424/anti-ordinary-a1-a-beanie-thats-as-safe-as-a-helme
snow conditions
Rabbie wrote:
@stanton, I do otherwise i wouldn’t see the garbage you post. What on earth does “ Folks carper skiing” mean. It certainly isn’t any known language. Just random gibberish.

That might be a clue as to who Stanton is? Perhaps someone dropped their phone in the chimpanzee enclosure?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy