Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pacific North West (PNW) 2018/2019 Season

Poster: A snowHead
@Dabber amazing, I'll get that booked!

Good to hear on the Dave Murray, and of COURSE we'll also have a stab at peak to creek - will probably all but kill us, but the beer and wings sounds like a good reward. Laughing We're staying at Legends so I would think we'll see quite a lot of Dusty's over the trip...

We have Max4 lessons booked for three days so hoping to learn to ski in deeper snow, if we have some while we're there...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can attest to the quality of the Whistler ski school. My wife did a few lessons years ago. Only on one day did she get someone in her group of 4 that was not at the level of the rest of the group. I took a lesson with them about 12 years ago just for the heck of it. They were offering a stupid cheap 4 Max lesson pre-Christmas season. It was like $25 or something ridiculous. It was just a 2 hour lesson. But the instructor ended up hanging out with us and showing our group the goods for an extra hour because he had no lessons after ours.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Did a quick hike this morning before the sun came up. Nice light snow at Bachelor this morning.

Another storm set to make land fall in the PNW on Saturday night into Sunday. Will come ashore in Whistler territory and then work its way inland and down through the Northern Cascades. Mt. Baker should do well. Oregon Cascades should see some snow later on Sunday morning or early afternoon. This storm will eventually bring some moisture to inland locations of Norther Idaho and work its way down into the Tetons and Northern CO late Sunday into Monday for some Xmas Eve cheer.

The Sierras should also see snow late Sunday into Monday. That low pressure will work its way East toward Northern Utah. Should be fairly decent to excellent conditions for Christmas day in quite a few ski resorts.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
All the snow cams from Whistler BC down South to Bachelor are showing snow. Nice big storm. About an inch an hour coming down. Sunday will be a nice pre Christmas powderfest. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Blustery day on the hill. Was snowing lightly all day long. Medium density, wind affected snow on North facing aspects. Low crowds, and trees held nice stashes into the early afternoon.

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Will be a White Christmas in Bend this year! Big white flakes coming down in buckets. Skiing will be sublime on Christmas morning! Very Happy

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Toadman, enjoy , and thanks for all the updates , keep em coming
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Beautiful Christmas morning in Bend. It snowed off and on last night and we woke to flurries. Bachelor received a nice top up of 8cm over night to go with the 24cm that fell yesterday. Clearing skies and cold will be on order for today.

upload picture to url

Nice pre-Breakfast walk with the dog in the winter wonderland.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Beautiful Christmas day up on the hill. Blue skies and mild temps.

Nice soft turns in the 25cm or so that fell the past 24 hrs. More snow flurries forecast for later tonight.

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A weak storm will bring snow again to the Cascade range. Expect just small accumulations of 8cm-10cm into Thursday morning. A bit of a warm up coming on Friday with another band of weak moisture and the freeze level going up to about 1,700 meters. Sunday could see another weak storm bring snow back to the Cascades with lowering snow levels. There's a bit of a high pressure currently trying to form off the West Coast up near BC/WA. Some moisture will be able to push through but will split the energy sending some into Northern BC and down into Southern Oregon and Northern California.

It does look like SW Colorado and Taos will get some snow later today into Thursday as well.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
About 18 cm overnight in the South Cascades. Had a light cm or so dusting at my place too! Will be a blue bird morning and cold. That snow will be dry and light for those lucky enough not to be working! I'm not so lucky, however. Sad Will be up in the mtns tomorrow for the leftovers.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Toadman, Lovin your pics. Keep them coming plzz snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AL9000 wrote:
@Toadman, Lovin your pics. Keep them coming plzz snowHead

Happy to oblige!

A minor storm front is working it's way West. Currently dawdling around out in the Pacific trying to decide if it wants to be rude and push a pesky little HP that set up this morning, or be kind and patient and let the HP have some fun in the sun. Never the less, me thinks the storm will decide to push its way West later on Friday morning and bring some moisture. It will come with a price of a bit of a warm up with the snow level rising from about 750 meters toward 1,200 meters. Then a bit more warmth will see the snow level go up to about 1,400 meters. Lower slopes will get some wet sticky stuff and upper slopes should receive a nice refresh. This storm should blanket Whistler Blackcomb on down to right about the Mt Hood area in Northern Oregon. Snow will taper off into Saturday with colder temps and reduced precip.

Looking out a bit, appears to be something percolating farther out in the Pacific. Maybe a river of atmosphere with a bit of warm air to it but lots of moisture. Not always a good thing, but not unexpected with a weak El Nino season. That "river" could make it's way inland after the New Year. Thursday/Friday time frame. Will keep an eye on it for now.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The forecast storm came inland a bit early than expected. Snowing throughout the day. Made for some nice soft turns. Winds will pick up tonight. Snow level going up too. Will be around 1400 meter snow level briefly before going colder.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 31-12-18 4:47; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Very Happy
snow report
looking like a nice few cold sunny days over the New Years celebrations in whistler , then it seems that January carries on where December left off , another handy storm cycle with reasonable freezing levels delivering great snow and skiing for those lucky enough to be out after the masses return to work .

ski holidays
Same storm here in Blue River, came in later than expected, snowed about 15cm in the valley last night, double that up top, although a bit like Whistler-style "upside down" snow - it's fairly warm at minus 5 or so.

No images from today, but this is from a couple of days ago when the sun was last seen. Rylo 360 frame grab.
latest report
Cascades ended up with 20cm-25cm overnight. Snowing throughout the day. High winds in Central Cascades had upper lifts on wind hold. Should be good up high on Monday. More snow forecast after New Years, and looking to be a bit on the warm side. Around 1,500 meter snow line but dropping down to 1,200 meters as the storm passes. Could be another 25cm-30cm to add to the already growing snow totals for the holidays.

ski holidays
Another 25cm-30cm overnight in the Cascades. Snowing throughout the day. Looks like more on tap after New Years. Going to come in warm and cool as the storm passes. Should hit all the usual PNW locales from Whistler on South to Bachelor. Inland BC and interior ski resorts of Idaho and Tetons will enjoy some white fluffy goodness.

latest report
Not here at Bachelor, just one inch overnight after hell on earth yesterday.....by 11 Pine, Outback & NWX were still not open, the hordes concentrated east of Sky. Winds are down now, and sun is fct for New Years Day, great day to rip groomers whilst others nurse their hangovers.
snow report
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
Not here at Bachelor, just one inch overnight after hell on earth yesterday.....by 11 Pine, Outback & NWX were still not open, the hordes concentrated east of Sky. Winds are down now, and sun is fct for New Years Day, great day to rip groomers whilst others nurse their hangovers.

It was nutz everywhere. Drove back from Seattle through Gov't camp, and it was a complete zoo. Never ceases to amaze me with people traveling over the mtn passes without good winter tires or chains. But, there they are stuck in the middle of the highway! It was dumping up there needless to say. Should be good today with sun out. Sadly, I'm at work paying the bills today. Should be really good for those that can get up there.
latest report
Storm clouds a brewin'

snow conditions
some nice snow to be found around Blackcomb yesterday , and clear skies made for great skiing , more snow on the way

ski holidays
Dabber wrote:
some nice snow to be found around Blackcomb yesterday , and clear skies made for great skiing , more snow on the way

Seems the storm tracks the past 4 weeks have been generally favorable to WB. That pattern appears to still be in effect going into January.

The Cascade range was at just about 50% of avg snow pack going into December. Going into 2019 the Cascade range is close to 100%. (Drops just below as you go South.)

This next forecasted storm is coming from a Southerly directions with a bit of warm air attached to that 4cm-6cm of precip. that is forecast to fall over the next several days. Should amount to about a meter at the highest elevations. Might be rain or mixed snow at the base of WB, but the storms will go colder into the weekend.

Southern Cascades will only see a bit of that moisture until late on Friday and into the Weekend. Might eek out 10cm-20cm from Friday into Sunday. Farther South in the Sierras they could do well with a weekend storm in Tahoe ski resorts. Didn't check the details but it has potential at higher elevations to deliver a decent amount of snow.
latest report
1m of snow and high winds and rain make for a very high Avi risk !!
Enjoy the piste and be patient

ski holidays
https://www.instagram.com/p/BsLbuYPBmA0/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

so the first half a metre came as predicted , looks like a small calm in the storm then it starts up again !! although short term avi risk is super high and all this wind and snow will be create a lot of work for ski patrols , its going help a lot up in the alpine and on the glaciers filling in the big holes that appeared over this summer
ski holidays
Yup, it came in Wednesday afternoon here (Blue River) and we had another 50cm or more in the valley overnight, still coming down now, zero visibility, snow starting to obscure the windows. I'm thinking that the forecast 80cms is pretty much right, and we're going to be having trouble ploughing through this stuff for a day or two. Still, overall it was needed - snow levels are now about where they should be.
snow report
Was sort of looking at the Whistler snow stake. Only thing is, it was buried! (58cm in the last 24 hrs) Shocked Sounds like a yo-yo effect with freezing levels but mostly cool until after the weekend. And wind will be an issue. Avy risk at 4 for most of the PNW regions too.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good times at Mt Bachelor this morning. Woke up to about a cm of light snow on the vehicle this morning, and knew it was going to be a good day. Only 10cm reported overnight at 5am, but snowing about a cm an hour. It picked up later in the morning, and was still dumping when I called it a day.

A blank canvas awaits!

Even late in the day, I was finding deep turns. Nice medium density goodness.

Supposed to keep snowing into Monday.
ski holidays
Not much to write about the past week or so. A high pressure parked itself over the Northern bit of the West Coast, causing storms to split and lose energy. Helped out up in BC and down in California. Currently a big nasty storm is spinning counter clockwise as it comes ashore with a lot of moisture. http://www.intellicast.com/Storm/Hurricane/PacificSatellite.aspx?animate=true

It's been hammering the Sierra's for the past 48 hours or so with anywhere from 75cm-1 meter. And as this next wave comes in, it will do some more hammering with up to a meter more forecast for the Tahoe resorts. Mammoth Mtn in Central Cali will see about 6 feet of snow. The storm will be accompanied by moderate winds in the 145 kph range in the alpine. Gusts over 160 kph are expected.

The storm will also deliver about a meter of snow over the next 5 days to the Central Oregon area and will taper off as it makes its way up North into Washington and BC, with about 2 feet forecast for the North Cascade range.

After the weekend, it looks like another high pressure is fixing to set up camp off the West Coast.
snow conditions
Forecast for South Cascades range has been updated, with higher anticipated snow accumulations forecast over the next 5 days. Yesterday's snow totals over delivered by 8cm. Looking at closer to 130cm over the next 5 days for Bachelor. The Central and North Cascades still holding in the 50cm-70cm range. There will be a brief warm up on Friday night, with rising snow levels to about mid.mtn at Bachelor. It will be a brief event, so the base is likely to see a mix of snow and rain. It will mean heavy and wet cascade concrete. The storm will be accompanied by steady winds in the 60kph-75kph range, so anticipate wind holds and limited lifts spinning. Sunday looks to be decent with cooler temps and 20cm-30cm of snow forecast.
snow conditions
Whistler alpine closed all day, except Glacier for 2 hours. Inexplicably they shut down all lift at 3:00 ish despite improved weather. It seems they've adapted well to Vail's screw the customer at all costs mentality.
snow conditions
@Ptspeak,

https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/the-mountain/about-the-mountain/mountain-info.aspx

The lifts will shut everyday at 3pm until the 25th jan , for obvious reasons , as they have to make sure everything and everyone’s down and safe before it goes dark
snow conditions
@Dabber, 3pm? At £500 for a 6 day ticket? Seems pretty outrageous to me, I really want to go to Canada in the next year or two but is it worth it at these costs and restrictions?
snow report
@Minion1980, go in March when the days are longer the lifts are open from 8:30 till 4:00pm so if you plan your day you can ski for 8 hrs

Even in jan I’m done by three after skiing all day

Don’t want to get into the ticket price thing on this thread but there are plenty of smaller resorts that offer much cheaper skiing options than the larger corporate owned ones

If you plan ahead there are some great deals to be had pre season , I bought an epic season pass which gives access to multiple resorts around the world as well as unlimited skiing at Whistler all winter for around £700 which represents amazing value

I’m a great fan of the North America ski experience and think that everyone should give it a go if possible
snow conditions
@Dabber, thanks for the response I really want to try Whistler as it looks pretty amazing and also want to throw in a brief city trip to Vancouver but just worried about cost a little as I did a similar trip to Japan a couple of years ago and it turned out to be very very expensive. I do love riding in March so it sounds like a plan. But anyway this is the snow thread so I'm sorry for derailing it I was just surprised at the 3pm lift closure as even in the French mega resorts in Jan the lifts close a lot later than 3pm.
snow report
@Minion1980, ✅

Vancouver is a great city and probably better visited in March, with good forward planning you can defo keep costs under control , you won’t regret it snowHead
snow report
I’ve noticed that lifts shut much earlier in North America. Perhaps it’s because there isn’t the same lunch culture but most people are heading down by 3:30ish.

I’ve also been surprised that lift closures seem to be much rarer than Europe. In all our visits we’ve rarely had a day when the resort is storm bound and everything shut. Maybe it’s the smaller areas, lower altitude or greater tree cover?
ski holidays
And back to the snow ....... a nice top up for whistler followed by a dry weekend then snow will return Monday night Tuesday then snow/ freezing levels will rise maybe as high as peak so some sunny clear weather should give some great piste skiing later next week
snow report
Which sounds like great news for us, on our way up to whistler today. snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy