Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to Ski in France-New book published

Poster: A snowHead
New book by Chris Gill now available. These specific country guides replace the long running Good Skiing & Snowboarding Guide, published annually for over 20 years.

I got the Austria book last year. I think it’s a well presented and objective overview of the main ski areas and villages. As a fairly compact book, it lacks the detailed insights of expert snowHeads, for example. Very useful though for:
relative newcomers to snowsports;
those thinking of trying a new area;
general overview of features, pros & cons.

I believe after Austria and France that a new book covering Italy is planned next.
I’m available for research trips if needed snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I bought the Austria one, and the emails from WTSS made me log on to buy the France book for a cheaper price. But £15 postage to Australia a bit steep, so bought from Book Depository instead with free shipping.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Amazon is showing "Where to Ski In Italy" to be published on 1 September 2019.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This is a nice online resource for resort reviews: http://welove2ski.com
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I did post this a few days ago.
There is a also a discount code available
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Could I suggest to Chris Gill, combining these in one easy to read volume, and adding Switzerland as well as Italy very quickly? Oh, this would rather be like the copies I have bought for a number of years. This probably could not be made to work financially, however an explanation would be good as to why carrying on with THE skiing publication could not continue Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd like that too, but I reckon the editor thinks there's more money to be made, and a greater readership, from separate books.

They're £11.99 each, so to have 4 in the same volume and still make the same amount of money, you'd need to price it at £48.

This way (assuming you want all the countries) many people will probably buy a new one each year (i.e. each country being updated every 4 years, say). With the old books most people probably didn't need a new one each year.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not convinced these are needed, given internet
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Definella, I would not want a one country only book. When I'm looking at holidays I'd want to look at all countries and compare. These volumes obviously do not let me do that. I would not therefore purchase. I hope they succeed however, if only for the future possibility of an omnibus. I'll keep my 2016 as a reference in the meantime.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
denfinella wrote:
I'd like that too, but I reckon the editor thinks there's more money to be made, and a greater readership, from separate books.

They're £11.99 each, so to have 4 in the same volume and still make the same amount of money, you'd need to price it at £48.

This way (assuming you want all the countries) many people will probably buy a new one each year (i.e. each country being updated every 4 years, say). With the old books most people probably didn't need a new one each year.

+£5 delivery
If your signed up to the mailing list, then you can get both France & Austria for £9.99 each with discount code.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:

disagree

I hate reading books or magazines on any electronic device.
You cant beat print editions.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mr.Egg, dinosaur
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
+1 on the dinosaur front. Its healthier than screens
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr.Egg wrote:
under a new name wrote:

disagree

I hate reading books or magazines on any electronic device.
You cant beat print editions.

Well said, sir.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I like the new smaller, one country at a time, format. I also still look at my 2015 full version. Even an early 90s one occasionally, as it has line drawing piste maps that show aspect of slopes (N,S,E,W), unlike modern coloured piste maps. Sad isn’t it?

Internet sources have vast amounts of information. I use these books for a quick overview.
snowHead
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@Mr.Egg, dinosaur

until electronic paper in A3 size is out, I will carry on being a dinosaur.
I find electronic books impossible to use for a variety of reasons.
Scrolling is my biggest bug bear - especially when following a recipe for example.
Or when you read something that refers back to something further up & you have to scroll again.

Reading is done with my eyes, I shouldn't have to use my fingers as well.

I have a lot of technical manuals for work in E-Format. Handy for me in that instance since I work at a few different locations & my only fixed desk is at home.
Bit impractical to take all that with me between different offices.
latest report
I like my Kindle, but find it absolutely useless for photos, diagrams and maps. And it's not good for reference stuff, either.

I've got the Austria book and have just ordered the France version, also.

Sadly, my wife threw out my copy of the last Where to Ski and Snowboard, because she saw "2016" on the cover and thought it was out of date! (A wider warning for me, perhaps...)
snow report
2016 will be a decent guide to resort relativities for 10 years. I used to get a copy of whre to ski every 3 years. Small changes can be picked up online and so on. an A3 tablet! come on Apple!
snow report
@PeakyB,
Quote:

Even an early 90s one occasionally, as it has line drawing piste maps that show aspect of slopes (N,S,E,W), unlike modern coloured piste maps. Sad isn’t it?

That was the good skiing guide rather than WTS&S a very good publication in its heyday.
ski holidays
@twoodwar, fair enough. I agree, which is why I'll be getting all of them! Falling right into the corporate trap Embarassed I've also kept the full one from 2016.

@Mr.Egg, true - though the website also said you could get £5 off or BOGOF the other day. Actually, I've been awarded a free copy anyway Blush

Internet of course has far more info, but I still think the books are useful and nice to look at.
snow report
Just received my copy. Really surprised that it is totally focused on the Alps. I would have thought that the Pyrenees and elsewhere were worth at least a chapter? Front cover promotion of one resort seems to dilute any suggestion that it is still really an independent guide.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 7-12-18 14:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
dw832 wrote:
Just received my copy. Really surprised that it is totally focused on the Alps. I would have thought that the Pyrenees and elsewhere were worth at least chapter? Front cover promotion of one resort seems to dilute any suggestion that it is still really an independent guide.

yup my books arrives yesterday.
Nothing for Innsbruck surrounding area, only Stubai Glacier.
Maurienne area in france is about 1/2 a page
ski holidays
@dw832, the book seems to focus on the largest French ski areas, in terms of total piste length (though there are a few exceptions - they must really like La Grave!). That would mean none in the Pyrenees would make the grade. Which specific resort would you like to have seen added, and at the expense of which Alpine one? Also, there is an index which includes Pyrenean resorts and a couple in the Massif Central.

I think it's clear which parts are probably sponsored (e.g. the accommodation recommendations). The rest of the text is, I think, independent.
snow report
the pictures are nice,
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy