Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Chains

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys, Long time Lurker & First Time poster Smile

I am off to the Alps on the 10th March, Easyjet to Grenoble then rented car to La-Plagne, we did the same thing last Febuary and it was a huge success. Last year I decided to rent snow chains with the car which came in at £10 adding £90 to our already tight budget - needless to say they stayed in their box for the week.

As we are going in March this year I decided not to rent the chains (big saving as there are 2 car loads this year) - however I am now having second thoughts, it just wont stop snowing Toofy Grin and I dont want to be the "that bl**dy idiot without chains"...

Do the hire cars usually come with winter tires fitted? I couldn't find out via the rental booking site as I'm using a thrid party agent (holiday autos).

Is it going to be cheaper to buy chains in France (say in a Super-U in Grenoble or Chambery) - they must cost less than £90 a set?

Or do I bite the bullet and fork over £180 to rent two sets of chains for 9 days ?

Any advice gratefully recieved...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SnowSeaker, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
We bought our snow chains from M. l'Eclerc's (i think i spelled that wrong Embarassed) for about £35 in a town in the Jura on the way to the Alps, but as soon as you get down that way all the supermarkets sell them. However it is very important to get exactly the right ones because they vary slightly depending on tyre and car make, and even the littleest difference can make all the difference. The right measurements can be found on the tyre.
Good luck with finding some 'chaine de neige'!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SnowSeaker, as far as i know snow tyres arent standard in France for hire cars but are in Switzerland. It's usually possible to ask for snow tyres but i think that's quite expensive as well.....

Avis usually charge 30euros per hire for chains so the 90 quid looks v steep!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
They are not standard in Germany either.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, plenty available in French supermarkets and "Feu Vert" auto accessory shops, they vary in price but generally a lot less than £90. I bought some just yesterday as mine were worn out and held together with bits of wire. Cost 43 euros. As crazy_skier_jules, says, get the tyre size right and also, practice putting them on in the relative comfort of the supermarket car park. However, you will be able to get up to date snow reports before leaving home and see whether you are likely to need them on the way to the resort. Problem is that if it snows when you are there, getting them in resort is going to be a lot more expensive. One poster had bought them on way to resort, didn't use them, then got a refund at the supermarket on the way back. Sounds the best way of all! I wouldn't rely on the cars you hire at Grenoble having snow tyres - and even if they do you can sometimes need chains as well. You should have fantastic conditions for your holiday. Have a great time, and welcome to Snowheads Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Guys, I knew they must be cheaper than the ridiculous rental rate Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SnowSeaker, That seems a lot for chain rental. I would ask Holiday Autos who the care hire company is and check it out by calling them. I have done this before. It is worth shopping around as some companies have reasonably priced chains. We always rent chains when we fly and it is never anywhere near that cost!

Chains are compulsory and looking at current conditions you will need them, having said that a lot can happen in a week!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Picked up a Nissan X-trail at Lyon last week which had snow tyres fitted. Used it in France and Switzerland and was very impressed. Snow chains and ski-rack came in at 60euros for the week (Avis). Snow chains were not needed but the ski rack was a boon.

Got stung 30 euros for a Vignette as I came over the France/Swiss border. Ha, ha thought I, this vignette lasts for a year, I'll peel it off the windscreen after my holiday and flog it on E-bay for a tenner. Little did I suspect that the tightwad Swiss have thought of that and the vignette was multi-perforated which meant it disintegrated as I was peeling it off (the b******s)!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Never mind wh got stung 120E for not having a vignette - travelling in from Zillertal to Germany....The police stopped us before the services where we could buy one! Not a good journey home this year (RE: help thread) Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We hired a car in Geneva last week, but the car hire company had messed up and didn't have any snow chains ready for us- it was 11 at night, so they didn't have anyone available to get them out for us. They said they might be able to reimburse us if we had to buy them ourselves, so we bought some at a supermarket (Coop - edit) for 69 francs (about 30 quid) - as it turned out we didn't use them so we took them back to the supermarket on the way home and got a cash refund NehNeh (seemed easier than arguing with the hire car company for a refund...).

Snow chains seemed to be a *lot* up in the resort...

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 1-03-06 17:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I got stung for a vignette last year on the way back to Geneva airport - my own fault really as I had rented the car from the french side to save £100 on the rental price - having rented chains and bought the vignette it would have been cheaper to rent from the Swiss side!

Ho hum - you live and learn Blush

Getting really excited now - the snow conditions look fabulous, now we just need the Sun to come out on the 10th and last to the 18th and we'll be in business Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SnowSeaker, Last time I hired a car I bought chains from a supermarket. Cheaper than hiring...came home in boot bag, still in use...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yeah - Geneva (Swiss side) the cars are fitted with snow-tyres and have chains in boot as standard between December and End March, you have no choice but to have them. You should definately be able to buy cheaper than £90 unless you are hiring a 4X4 or odd sized wheeled car. If you dont have them and its snowing you will be turned back and/or charged for them to be fitted by a roadside fitter.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We got the Michelin chains for around £30 from Coop in Switzerland. They work fine and are easy to put on and remove. A lot of people had them today as we battled to get to Champery.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Winter tyres are standard here in Austria as well.
latest report
Quote:

The police stopped us before the services where we could buy one!

I think you can buy them at all the border points, so no excuse, really, and no escape. They're better value than the French autoroute tolls - though not if you only want to do six miles in Switzerland to get to the airport (though you can do that off motorway if you're not pushed for time and have a decent map).
snow report
Super U in Bourg St Maurice have chains for €45 - Like the idea of returning them at the end of the week
snow report
Kieran, Next time you find yourself in Super U,any chance you could look to see if they keep my size...225/70 R16... wink I'm not coming out till the start of April,so not likely to need them.....but best be prepared? snowHead Having missed some bargain chains on here,I'm reluctant to pay UK prices for something that,almost certainly,I will never use.

Oh,and as I've not spotted you before,welcome to snowHeads snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy