Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sleeve pocket

Poster: A snowHead
I've just succumbed and bought a Jollnar down jacket. However,it doesn't have a sleeve pocket for a pass. What are people's experiences of how it works of you carry a pass in either a side pocket or a pocket in your salopettes?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Absolutely no problem.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry, should read Jöttnar. And thankyou @cad99uk,
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I used one of these at the last BB. Wore it on my arm under my jacket. Worked a treat. Never had a problem with a turnstile not recognising the lift pass. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oyster-Security-Clear-Vertical-Holder/dp/B00A669RJI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1542965551&sr=8-3&keywords=ski+pass+holder+arm&tag=amz07b-21

Simples. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dies it not have a chest pocket? I don't have any "ski jackets", just use my climbing clobber and always just the "Left Breast" pocket (inside or outside). Sometimes have to rub my chest against the machine but not that often.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Since many resorts have switched to RFID based lift passes the issue has largely disappeared. If there is an issue it tends to be with the ticket machine, rather than the pass. Don’t of course put your ticket in a wallet or next to your mobile.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Any pocket on your left hand side seems to work ok, hip pocket, side pocket, chest pocket, sleeve pocket. Only issue is with gates that have the reader on your right hand side, where a bit of twisting and cursing seems to do the trick.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@esaw1, you are going to ski in a down jacket Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another, and my preferred option - gloves with the pocket for the lift pass on the back of the hand.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Layne, Only if the temp plummets. I normally use a hardshell and layers and have bought the down jacket for staggering to and from apres venues but now I have the option to not only boil whilst skiing but also to keep warm whilst walking the dog on Costa del Wales. Thank you everyone for your input.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
esaw1 wrote:
@Layne, Only if the temp plummets. I normally use a hardshell and layers and have bought the down jacket for staggering to and from apres venues but now I have the option to not only boil whilst skiing but also to keep warm whilst walking the dog on Costa del Wales. Thank you everyone for your input.

Happy Cool snowHead

I kept it in my trouser pocket for a while but found that sometimes didn't work well. Now I have sleeve pocket which is obviously ideal because you can reach closer with it. A glove pocket would work just as well. But as others have said any left side should be good enough.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Till you hit that random right-side gate Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Put it in your gloves between the glove & linear. Just remember its there when you take your gloves off!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have used a chest pocket relatively successfully but I am only 5’ 7. Hubby found that a bit hard work in some places, and bought himself a pair of Dakine gloves which had a zip pocket which nicely takes the card.

Personally I think it is a real shame we can’t load the lift passes on the Snowpass Swatch watches anymore.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Never had a sleeve or glove pocket. Pass always goes in a lower jacket pocket, somewhere between high waist and low hip depending on jacket. Usually a load of other assorted useful crud in the same or nearby or covering pockets as well. Never had an issue.
latest report
Mr.Egg wrote:
Put it in your gloves between the glove & linear. Just remember its there when you take your gloves off!

This... and if I'm just wearing liners I've found the pass sits inside the cuff on the back of my hand.

My usual gloves have a pocket for a pass which I find easier than coat / trouser pocket, but this seems to have fallen out of fashion...
snow conditions
I wouldn't want me lift pass loosely placed anywhere or in a pocket with other stuff I am likely to access. I want it somewhere secure where I can forget about it and not worry.

What happens btw if you lose your pass where you have to get a connecting lift back to base?
snow report
Grizzler wrote:
Never had a sleeve or glove pocket. Pass always goes in a lower jacket pocket, somewhere between high waist and low hip depending on jacket.... Never had an issue.

This.

Perhaps it's a perspective thing - if not electronic, then the standard North American approach is that a "ticket" looks like a ticket and is fastened to the outside of the jacket or pants somewhere with a bit of use-once wire. You'd look like a Brit with "powder tracers" turning up with something strapped to your arm for that. Austrian systems work fine with a pass in a pocket vaguely on the correct side.

Less is more.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
I wouldn't want me lift pass loosely placed anywhere or in a pocket with other stuff I am likely to access. I want it somewhere secure where I can forget about it and not worry.?

Wasn't going to overcomplicate things, but I carry my magnetic card passes (and always have done) by wrapping them up inside a strong plastic bag (actually an old A4 papers 'wallet' from my old office, circa Millennium) with an elastic hairband tied around and a piece of climbing cord tied thereto, attached at t'other end to a cheapie carabiner through a zip pull on the jacket. It ain't going nowhere that the jacket doesn't go.
Heath Robinson; who he ? Laughing

Never understood why they can't punch a small hole in the corner of the plastic so you can put a tie string on it.
snow report
@Awdbugga, thanks for that. I have a very old jacket with only a right hand inside pocket.
latest report
My jacket doesn't have a pocket on the arm for a pass so last season I taped it to my arm with some of that elastic adhesive tape they use for putting across your muscles. Worked a treat. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy