Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

wax

Poster: A snowHead
can anyone recommend a good wax please. I'm left a little confused by the different temperature waxes vs the multi purpose ones. I've seen some "data wax" on ebay very cheap. is it garbage?

i ski the alps in January and Feb. don't do much spring skiing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’ve always used Dominator Zoom wax, which is an all temperature wax.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
geepee wrote:
I’ve always used Dominator Zoom wax...

I think the OP is talking about wax for skis! wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@AL9000, You mean Spyderjon has sold me a Domi? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 for the dominator wax.
@PaulC1984 may still have some for sale at good prices. Might be worth a PM.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
geepee wrote:
@AL9000, You mean Spyderjon has sold me a Domi? Toofy Grin

I've no interest in what you n spyderjon get up to during his hotbox 'treatments'! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Data Wax used to be fine but I haven't used it since the company changed hands.

These days the warmest temperature range wax is "universal" anyway.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hertel Super Hot Sauce is good. Good glide and lasts really well. I used it on the BB and it wasn't until the very last day did I notice any reduction in the glide. It ain't cheap though.
https://www.snowrepublic.co.uk/Skiing-and-Snowboard-Wax/Iron-On-Wax/Hertel-Super-Hot-Sauce-Wax
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
HotDogger wrote:
+1 for the dominator wax.
@PaulC1984 may still have some for sale at good prices. Might be worth a PM.

Thanks for the plug

I have both Dominator and Holmenkol in at the moment, if anyone is in need Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This came up on google:

Quote:
Q: How can some wax cost eight dollars and some over one hundred fifty?

A: The cost of wax is largely dependent on the fluorocarbon content of the bar. Most waxes use either a hydrocarbon or fluorocarbon composition to determine the water repellency. This is very important because as the ski glides across the snow it is actually melting the snow creating water suction, so the more water repellent the wax the faster the ski is able to glide. Most inexpensive ($8-$15 per 60 gram bar) will use hydrocarbons, which will do the job but are the least water repellent of materials used. As waxes increase in price they will start to use different levels of fluorocarbons, and the price will rise accordingly. Low fluorocarbon waxes tend to be the choice of advanced to expert skiers who are looking for a clean glide without breaking the bank ($20-$35 per 60 gram bar) and as training wax for racers. High fluorocarbons waxes are usually saved for race day preparations and skiers looking for a long lasting and very fast wax ($70-$90 per 40 gram bar). The pinnacle in wax is pure fluorocarbon ($160-$220 per 20 gram powder), saved for race run application, and is used very sparingly.

I use some no name Universal wax that I bought a job lot when Edge and Wax went out of business.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Data wax is very good and made by my old trainer Ed Pirie.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gordyjh wrote:
Data wax is very good and made by my old trainer Ed Pirie.

Not any more. Ed sold the business to the Crawfords a few years ago.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
so, what happens if you use very cold wax and the next day its warm and vice versa?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I used data universal wax. It is better than white candle wax, in that it lasts a few days longer.

www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=133102&highlight=
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dave_3 wrote:
so, what happens if you use very cold wax and the next day its warm and vice versa?

Just use warm wax.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
dave_3 wrote:

Just use warm wax.

So you rewax your ski each day the weather changes?
snow report
In Europe just use universal and then top up with Zardoz if needed. +1 for Data wax, been using it for years, lasts OK.
snow conditions
Layne wrote:
rjs wrote:
dave_3 wrote:

Just use warm wax.

I rewax my skis every night anyway, after looking at the forecast for the next day, wax doesn't last a whole day. I have race wax to cover the whole temperature range.

In France, for the last few winters, the correct wax is nearly always the warmest one.

If the OP is going somewhere unusual that still gets cold winters then they should ask a more specific question.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
Layne wrote:
rjs wrote:
dave_3 wrote:

Just use warm wax.

I rewax my skis every night anyway, after looking at the forecast for the next day, wax doesn't last a whole day. I have race wax to cover the whole temperature range.

In France, for the last few winters, the correct wax is nearly always the warmest one.

If the OP is going somewhere unusual that still gets cold winters then they should ask a more specific question.

nope. just going to chamonix in January. First year with my own gear. I might buy some propa expensive fluro wax so I can do this..........
http://youtube.com/v/EaKByOtCWy4 Very Happy
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
I rewax my skis every night anyway, after looking at the forecast for the next day, wax doesn't last a whole day.

That is a waste of time and money if you ask me but each to there own.

rjs wrote:
I have race wax to cover the whole temperature range.

Surely "race wax" would have a very specific temperature range? And surely using a "whole temperature range" wax doesn't make sense if you are waxing daily to meet the conditions of the following day Puzzled Puzzled

rjs wrote:

He already said "i ski the alps in January and Feb. don't do much spring skiing"
latest report
Layne wrote:
rjs wrote:
I rewax my skis every night anyway, after looking at the forecast for the next day, wax doesn't last a whole day.

That is a waste of time and money if you ask me but each to there own.

Don't wax at all then. Wax really doesn't last a whole day.
Quote:
rjs wrote:
I have race wax to cover the whole temperature range.

Surely "race wax" would have a very specific temperature range? And surely using a "whole temperature range" wax doesn't make sense if you are waxing daily to meet the conditions of the following day

I have the whole range of race waxes from one particular supplier, they are individually designed to work at different temperatures. In practice I just use the warmest weather one.
Quote:
rjs wrote:

He already said "i ski the alps in January and Feb. don't do much spring skiing"

The actual temperature range of the warmest weather wax that I own matches the conditions that I saw in January and February for the last few winters. Use the same wax in the spring too.
snow conditions
rjs wrote:
Wax really doesn't last a whole day.

Any evidence for that? How long does it last then? Do you wax at lunchtime?

Data Wax as mentioned above state "Normal holiday skiing on decent snow - about once every 3 or 4 days"
snow conditions
Not to be remotely dictatorial............ But if any of you are not familiar with Hertel (Wax), dare I say, you ought to be. The company's "basic" product is their "Hot Sauce". Phenomenal. They formulate several other specialized (racing) product, but the Hot Sauce is, hands down, beyond exceptional to say the least for general skiing. No flouros in that formula, by the way...........

How good, as it were? Let's put it this way.......... Numerous federation, as SOP under alpine supplier pool contract with the "Big Three" wax companies as numerous federation website clearly indicate, therefore said federation's team must use such product........, I know for fact that a number of technicians use Hertel and never acknowledge same. It IS that much better.

Visit Hertel's website and you make the assessment......... It sells in GB via limited distribution.
snow conditions
Wax is a waste of time.

The snow scrubs it off in minutes.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Wax is a waste of time.

The snow scrubs it off in minutes.

You're doing it wrong / depends on the conditions. When I prep mine it tends to last well in normal alpine snow. Even in the warmth and slush the correct waxes don't give up right away.
latest report
arcsinice wrote:
Not to be remotely dictatorial............ But if any of you are not familiar with Hertel (Wax), dare I say, you ought to be. The company's "basic" product is their "Hot Sauce". Phenomenal. They formulate several other specialized (racing) product, but the Hot Sauce is, hands down, beyond exceptional to say the least for general skiing. No flouros in that formula, by the way...........

How good, as it were? Let's put it this way.......... Numerous federation, as SOP under alpine supplier pool contract with the "Big Three" wax companies as numerous federation website clearly indicate, therefore said federation's team must use such product........, I know for fact that a number of technicians use Hertel and never acknowledge same. It IS that much better.

Visit Hertel's website and you make the assessment......... It sells in GB via limited distribution.

Uk suppliers -
https://www.snowrepublic.co.uk/Skiing-and-Snowboard-Wax/Iron-On-Wax/Hertel-Super-Hot-Sauce-Wax?zenid=r844rvl4im545eap84mbuou0h1
snow report
I waxed my skis tonight with some one ball wax. why on earth does it have a perfume scent? my skis smell like a summers meadow 😂
latest report
For January and February skiing you want a cold wax such as DataWax Butane.
DON'T use a warm wax in the cold or your skis will stick big time!

Wax well applied and scraped should last at least a day.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dave_3 wrote:
I waxed my skis tonight with some one ball wax. why on earth does it have a perfume scent? my skis smell like a summers meadow

Is that for those who haven't the nerve to do the complete back, sack and crack then ?
latest report
^^ snowHead
and at least one ball smells nice now youve waxed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy