Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance for over 70’s

Poster: A snowHead
Any recommendations for travel insurance companies which include skiing for over 70’s
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MPI
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think there is one that offers cover against getting pregnant.

I'm 69 now so this is my last year of having reasonably priced insurance.
Nat West offered my free travel insurance including winter sports with all the bells and whistles "for the rest of my life" as long as I stayed with that account.
But last year they changed the rules and decided once I hit the buffers at 70 I've got to have their approval (Supplementary charge I would imagine). So I'm a bit miffed about that one.

I'm eager to see who is going to come along and advise us where to get insurance in future.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've just got off the phone with an older ski buddy who is still skiing at 80, he says he cant remember who his insurance is with ... that an age thing too.

But he's off to Soldeu in January, what he saves on his free ski pass he can spend on the insurance.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MPI sort us out, although I am not there yet. Quite.!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Will check with MPI tomorrow, thanks
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Jeeves10, if MPI don't work out for you then talk to Saga. They don't seem to have cut off dates but may charge more.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DrLawn wrote:
I think there is one that offers cover against getting pregnant.

I'm 69 now so this is my last year of having reasonably priced insurance.
Nat West offered my free travel insurance including winter sports with all the bells and whistles "for the rest of my life" as long as I stayed with that account.
But last year they changed the rules and decided once I hit the buffers at 70 I've got to have their approval (Supplementary charge I would imagine). So I'm a bit miffed about that one.

I'm eager to see who is going to come along and advise us where to get insurance in future.

I am slightly older than you and was with RBS and their insurance (Nat West are a subsidiary) I moved my current account to Nationwide BS who offered me the same insurance better breakdown cover including abroad for less money and I don't have to start paying extra ( it was £50 per annum ) until age 75..for less money per month ..as well as that their debit card doesn't charge you for withdrawals in the EU from and ATM///the icing on the cake was that if you get recommended by a current customer you get £100 ..and so does the customer....... so if anyone want a recommend code ...let me know Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When I checked this year, SCGB platinum membership was only a few pounds more than MPI, and even if you don't use any of their services, there are good discounts to be had. I managed to renew my membership at the old rate, before the price hike, so there is greater disparity now, but may still be worth looking at it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers @DaveD that does sound quite good.
But the snag is I'm quite embedded with NatWest.

I'll give you a call when I'm off the hook with them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have Nationwide - but have yet to try them out with the huge range of new medications I've been prescribed for heart failure. Likely to scare them rigid. Not that I have any immediate travel plans.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@pam w, I know a certain lady snowHead who found MPI very helpful in such circumstances. Appropriately called 'Don't stop me now' . https://www.mpibrokers.com/travel-insurance-products/dont-stop-me-now/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks @Hells Bells. Do you know off the top of your head whether anti-coagulants are contra-indicated for blood donation? I've been a regular donor for some years but they might not want me any more! I have occasionally been rejected in the past - once, recently, because I'd just had a shingles vaccination. And in the past because I confessed to having had sex with someone who had once lived in Africa (ie my husband Laughing ).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Thanks @Hells Bells. Do you know off the top of your head whether anti-coagulants are contra-indicated for blood donation? I've been a regular donor for some years but they might not want me any more! I have occasionally been rejected in the past - once, recently, because I'd just had a shingles vaccination. And in the past because I confessed to having had sex with someone who had once lived in Africa (ie my husband Laughing ).

Yep they are, I'm on long term anticlogs myself. Everyone I've ever had sex with has had sex with someone who once lived in Africa.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm pretty sure you can't give blood if you have AF. Check the website, there's a guide on there https://my.blood.co.uk/knowledgebase/
snow report
Yes, checked that - absolutely right, @Hells Bells. Ah well, that's one appointment I can cross out of the diary.....
snow conditions
@Jeeves10, I use Saga. It seems fine, but I don’t ski off piste these days. If you do, check that the policy meets your requirements,
ski holidays
Thanks@achilles, I’ll try Saga too
snow report
My Lloyds Platinum account charges £19/month. I get world wide travel inc winter sports with AXA until I'm 80. The lower accounts, Gold and Silver I think, only go to 65. As well as the insurance I get mobile phone cover, breakdown insurance and some other benefits I never use, though Mrs G gets a a mag subscription. Oh, the winter sports is 30 days/year, btw.

Ski seasons 17 and 18, I lost a sibling each time (my sis is crapping herself!), and had to cancel. AXA were very good, and paid up as advertised.

CG
snow conditions
Nationwide also gives me mobile phone and breakdown insurance - both of which I've used and found very good.
snow report
The Citibank insurance runs up to age 80. It's "free" with the right kind of account.
snow report
@Charliegolf, Gold goes to 80 as well and also has 30 days winter sports

"Demands and needs statement
This product meets the demands and needs of
those under 80 years of age travelling abroad in
respect of medical and other similar expenses
throughout the duration of the policy"
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, Fair enough, I only had a cursory look. Even better then, more choices.
snow conditions
I have recently taken out an annual multi trip policy with winter sports for myself and other half with All Clear Travel Insurance. They cover nearly all existing medical conditions and up to and above age 70. Havn't yet had to make a claim so can't comment on what they are like but was happy with the premium as it was very difficult to get anyone to cover our age and other issues
snow report
@Jeeves10, if you are going to France, I am pretty certain Carre Neige has no age restriction (their T&C are here https://carreneige.com/static/documents/2017-2018/depliant-carre-neige-en.7227da54266f.pdf) and you pay per day.

For travel insurance generally, if you are in an awkward group (eg medical condition, age) and you are a retiree from a large company with benefits, you may well find that you can buy into their group travel insurance. Often something ignored as it may be expensive, but when we were quoted > £3,000 for a single trip (wife recovering from cancer, ie, nobody wanted to insure us), I was able to arrange cover through work for £110 annual policy, including ski.
snow conditions
Just doing a bit of current account / travel insurance research for myself and noticed this on the Nationwide website :-

From the 3 January 2019 we’re lowering the age that you need an age upgrade from 75 to 70 years old. The price of an age upgrade is also changing. Sad
snow report
Slightly hijacking the insurance thread :

I had a stent fitted a month ago, and having problems finding insurance for this season. Do I just need to wait for a few more week until I'm 'lower risk' ? Anyone else have experience in this area ?
ski holidays
@eblunt, have you tried MPI? They insured me after open heart surgery, but admittedly it was longer than a month after the op that I next went skiing (more like six months).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don’t think that the AAC insurance has any age restriction. Covers all the essentials and extends to the whole of Europe. Emergency medical cover is limited to £10,000 and the first 8 weeks of any trip, but you can get rid of that limitation and also increase the medical cover to £500,000 by purchasing the Knox extension. Works out cheaper for us than MPI.
snow report
Atlas Travel Insurance offers cover at 70 + and are fairly relaxed about pre existing conditions. They will cover the USA. Cover limits are not generous.

If like me you are an expat and will not be starting from the UK or returning to the UK they are one of the very few that will offer cover.
snow conditions
@Hurtle, Did you get the policy with anything heart related excluded, or did you go through the screening process ?
snow conditions
@eblunt, telephone screening, nothing excluded.
latest report
I have explored insurance for heli skiing for over 70 with a hip replacement annual cover to include cruise! From recollection, but I need to check a bit nearer the time for travel I think MPI were way way the best. Looked at SCGB (who paid up on a rather unusual claim for me this year) but once you turn 70 their cover virtually trebled in cost so that was why I looked elsewhere.
snow conditions
SCGB Insurance covers over 70s - https://www.skiclubinsurance.co.uk
ski holidays
@FFIRMIN, After an exhaustive search, I have gone for MPI as they cover annual worldwide including heliskiing (with a supplement) for over 75s.
snow report
MPI often seem to come out tops in these searches - I have not yet tried to find out whether my current insurance (through bank account) will cover me with new medication for heart problems.
snow conditions
Just gone for a quote on Ski Club and the total comes out at just over £2k annual multi trip for the two of us to include hip replacement for husband and an anemic condition for myself and to cover heli skiing and cruise. Regrettably we have cancelled our Ski Club membership as they dont seem to offer us anything which is of value to us any more and their insurance is now so stratospheric in cost that we cant imagine going with it! So next it will be a further look at MPI who has been recommended by a nearly 80 year old friend who heli skis several times a season and travels overseas several times a year in addition.
snow report
I’v just had confirmation from Knox Insurance Company that they will tag their EUR 500K medical cover onto the inclusive medical cover provided by AAC membership for the first eight weeks of any trip, so in effect you take the Knox extension of cover from Day 57 of the trip until the date of return. Very cost effective for any seasonnaires, who are content to rely on the AAC’s emergency rescue and medical cover (up to EUR 10K) for the first 8 weeks, coupled with the EHIC Card.
snow report
If you're with Nationwide, they are decreasing their age limits from January - just had an email from them today https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/support-articles/important-information/changes-to-travel-insurance-age-upgrade
snow report
We are with Nationwide too and got the above email. I am about to be 70 and Mr Mogulski is 72 so we will need to pay the supplement from January but it still gives us the cheapest ski insurance we can find. Have just booked ski holiday No2 to Breckenridge late Feb for 11 days and have 1st one to Meribel in December. See what else we can fit in....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy